Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did you get completely sick to death of comic book movies?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, November 10, 2017, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on November 12, 2017, 04:14:32 PM
I think Suicide Squad might be the worst film I've ever seen

It is the definitive example of Warner/DCs knee-jerk, second guess, cribbing from Marvel style.
I hope David Ayer career gets to stay healthy for keeping quiet about the mountain of changes forced upon his film.
Obviously starting out as a much darker product - why else get Ayer - it did a volte face after the success of guardians, bolted on a load neon, threw millions in getting a supposedly cool soundtrack but didn't look at how to actually use the music. Even the basis of the whole film doesn't make sense.
A sickening cynical ploy in making a genre film that deserves all the crap thrown at it.

The one thing it managed to get right, in terms of impact, is Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. As seen at thousands of comic cons

BlodwynPig

Quote from: newbridge on November 11, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
The problem is they are all essentially invincible so what is the point of any of it?

This.

I lost interest when they started putting 10 superheroes in every film and diluting everyone.

thraxx

They need to fuck off all that Marvel and DC bollocks and make more 2000AD stuff.

A Dredd series.
Rogue Trooper.
Strontium Dog.
Bad Company.
and Zenith for fuck's sake!  That one's begging to be made in terms of story and cheapness.

kidsick5000

Quote from: thraxx on November 12, 2017, 09:44:36 PM
They need to fuck off all that Marvel and DC bollocks and make more 2000AD stuff.

A Dredd series.
Rogue Trooper.
Strontium Dog.
Bad Company.
and Zenith for fuck's sake!  That one's begging to be made in terms of story and cheapness.

Zenith is perfect Netflix material (though Phase 2 or 3 will have a lot of rights issues).
Chopper could be stunning in IMAX 3D
Devlin Waugh

Sin Agog

What was that 2000AD series about the pregnant (and very male) mafia don?  That could be hilarious.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 13, 2017, 05:28:12 AM
What was that 2000AD series about the pregnant (and very male) mafia don?  That could be hilarious.

Al's Baby (Judge Dredd Megazine, which led to lots of rumours that this was about an ancestor of Judge Dredd)

phantom_power

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 12, 2017, 06:14:21 PM
They really have to come up with a different third act.
Too many have resorted to colossal beams of light and CGI lightshow overloads.
I liked that Age Of Ultron finale was more about rescuing people than just fighting the bad guy, same with Thor:Ragnarok, but generally, it's just too much boom blast bing and bong

I think they are learning that. As you say Thor 3 doesn't go down this route. Nor does Civil War, Spiderman: Homecoming, Ant-Man or Dr Strange to some extent. Even GotG2 was a bit of a break from the formula, though it had loads of CGI

Are these films in any kind of chronological order? I've only seen the batman films and I don't know where to start.

weekender

Do you mean in terms of when they were released, or in terms of the chronology within the Marvel Universe?

There's a certain chronology to the Marvel universe, but it's quite difficult to explain.  It does get better when you realise that there are certain interactions between the characters in the different movies that will be coming in the later films.

If you want a starting point, just try Iron Man.

It's probably the key starting point in the Marvel film franchise for me - I can't remember if it was the first one or not - but it sets the tone for the rest, which I consider to be "Superhero comic book taken seriously".  The Marvel films are generally good value for money, and a lot of time, money and effort have been put into making them good.

If it says 'DC Comics' on it - like 'Suicide Squad' etc - avoid.

Quote from: weekender on November 13, 2017, 07:29:23 PM
Do you mean in terms of when they were released, or in terms of the chronology within the Marvel Universe?

There's a certain chronology to the Marvel universe, but it's quite difficult to explain.  It does get better when you realise that there are certain interactions between the characters that will be coming in the later films.

If you want a starting point, just try Iron Man.

Whichever would make sense to someone who hasn't read the comics. I've heard that the stories often cross reference so was wondering if there was an order in which you're supposed to watch them.

weekender

I'd recommend watching them roughly from their release date schedule then - start with Iron Man though, can't recommend this enough as an introduction.  If you like it, great, if you don't then maybe this series is not for you.

There is a whole 'phased' approach to the Marvel films, which may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

Apart from Iron Man and Iron Man 2 which should obviously be sequential, just take anything from Phase 1 and see if you like it?

Actually, maybe leave 'The Avengers Assemble' or 'The Avengers' (same film, different title in the US and UK) until last though, that does set up Phase 2 fairly well.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: thraxx on November 12, 2017, 09:44:36 PM

A Dredd series.
Rogue Trooper.
Strontium Dog.
Bad Company.

Harlem Heroes
Ro-Busters

Quote from: weekender on November 13, 2017, 07:41:03 PM
I'd recommend watching them roughly from their release date schedule then - start with Iron Man though, can't recommend this enough as an introduction.  If you like it, great, if you don't then maybe this series is not for you.

There is a whole 'phased' approach to the Marvel films, which may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

Apart from Iron Man and Iron Man 2 which should obviously be sequential, just take anything from Phase 1 and see if you like it?

Actually, maybe leave 'The Avengers Assemble' or 'The Avengers' (same film, different title in the US and UK) until last though, that does set up Phase 2 fairly well.

Ok thanks I'll give iron man a go. I saw the Nolan trilogy and enjoyed them so I'm fairly hopeful.

Shit Good Nose

Alternatively, just don't bother.  The whole thing has become REALLY hard work now, with so many threads between the films (even ones you would assume were fairly separate and self contained), and even TV shows included in the mix (bits of the Avengers' films only make sense if you've seen the Agents of Shield series).  They are very quickly becoming like their comic sources where, as an intended audient, you either go in balls deep and get into all of it (including all the shit ones), or you just let it all go.  Otherwise you're always going to feel like you're missing something important.

I keep going back to it, but Guardians 2 was the straw that broke camel's back for me.

Dr Rock

Whereas I think they're all mostly very good action-fantasy fare. Iron Man is indeed the place to start and then watch them as they came out. Some are a bit shit (Thor 2), but many are excellent fun - and I don't find it 'hard work' to enjoy that the movies are part of a shared universe, it's part of the appeal to me.

Just watch a few and you'll see if they are for you innit.

thraxx

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 13, 2017, 05:06:37 AM
Zenith is perfect Netflix material (though Phase 2 or 3 will have a lot of rights issues).
Chopper could be stunning in IMAX 3D
Devlin Waugh

True about Zenith and Netflix, but what are the Phase 2 and 3 issues?  Can't remember much detail about those two... I can imagine music would be an issue, and as I recall Richard Branson and Jim Morrison feature.

Chopper is a spot on call.  And the Oz epics, leading up the Necropolis Mega Epic which I think is the single best comic achievement ever.  So there.  What a series that would make.

kidsick5000

Quote from: thraxx on November 13, 2017, 10:52:17 PM
True about Zenith and Netflix, but what are the Phase 2 and 3 issues?  Can't remember much detail about those two... I can imagine music would be an issue, and as I recall Richard Branson and Jim Morrison feature.

It's not the likeness of those guys. When they go dimension-hopping they meet a load of characters from IPC magazines. Robot Archie, Tiger Tom and Tammy and all that lot. Then again, probably easily worked around with a bunch of analogues and cyphers.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 13, 2017, 10:09:32 PM
Alternatively, just don't bother.  The whole thing has become REALLY hard work now, with so many threads between the films (even ones you would assume were fairly separate and self contained), and even TV shows included in the mix (bits of the Avengers' films only make sense if you've seen the Agents of Shield series). 

I am pretty sure it is the other way around. Agents of Shield turned on events that happened in the films, such as Captain America: Winter Soldier. In fact it had to spin its wheels a lot in the first season until that film was released and the show could carry on with the story. Agents of Shield is set after The Avengers for one thing, and generally is a self-contained unit. It is the origin of "inhumans" which feeds into Age of Ultron a bit but doesn't affect that film for anyone who hasn't seen the series.

I would say that while there are links between the various films, they are all pretty much self-contained and the links are minor and wouldn't stop you following what is going on. They are usually more easter eggs for the fans

Urinal Cake

Iron Man is a great popcorn flick. Raimi's Spider Man concentrated too much on the pathos and not enough on the comedy.

I got sick of comic book movies when people started saying, 'Isn't it great comics are mainstream'

madhair60

Spider-man Homecoming, which against all odds managed to be the worst Spider-man film by some distance. Every character has the same voice, it's awful. Thor 3 was the same. Tedious dross.

Hemulen

As with any genre, it's a mixed bag and as much down to personal taste as anything. If you find the idea of superheroes inherently pointless and ridiculous and take no pleasure in the concept of them teaming up or crossing over every so often then, yeah, probably best to give the whole bloody lot a miss. I guess the resentment comes from the fact that they're currently the most profitable (and thus most visible) type of blockbuster being made? Even so, it's surely not too hard to just ignore them? It's a bit like walking into Gregg's and complaining about all the fucking pastry everywhere. Try a different shop instead.

Norton Canes

Quote from: thraxx on November 13, 2017, 10:52:17 PM
True about Zenith and Netflix, but what are the Phase 2 and 3 issues?

Licensing all those characters from vintage British comics, I guess.

Don't forget that 'Judge Dredd: Mega-City One' is in development, a series that could potentially incorporate a huge number of Dredd-related storylines.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Hemulen on November 14, 2017, 11:18:30 AM
It's a bit like walking into Gregg's and complaining about all the fucking pastry everywhere. Try a different shop instead.

If Greggs is the cinema in this analogy then it's more like you find yourself as a regular Greggs goer, a real Greggs buff who liked just about all of their wares, apart from maybe the steak bakes, which you weren't so keen on, not enjoying Greggs so much any more because over the years steak bakes have become the only thing on sale.

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 14, 2017, 12:35:01 PM
Licensing all those characters from vintage British comics, I guess.

Rebellion did recently acquire publishing rights to a large portion of the IPC back catalogue (they have been putting put collections of material from Buster, Scream and Misty and also have a Roy Of The Rovers revival lined up), no idea if that extends to other media as well?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 14, 2017, 01:18:57 PM
If Greggs is the cinema in this analogy then it's more like you find yourself as a regular Greggs goer, a real Greggs buff who liked just about all of their wares, apart from maybe the steak bakes, which you weren't so keen on, not enjoying Greggs so much any more because over the years steak bakes have become the only thing on sale.

No, Gregg's is a shop on the high street in the analogy. If you don't like Gregg's style food, don't go in there and complain about what they sell, as it is very popular. Just go somewhere else. Not every shop is a Gregg's.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 14, 2017, 02:07:53 PM
No, Gregg's is a shop on the high street in the analogy. If you don't like Gregg's style food, don't go in there and complain about what they sell, as it is very popular. Just go somewhere else. Not every shop is a Gregg's.

It's not, Greggs is the cinema. Once Greggs sold all sorts of pastries, it had pastries for all tastes, but the steak bakes were so profitable that all the other products were gradually pushed out.

It's all right saying, "oh go to an arthouse bakery if you're so into your fucking pastries mate," but we all lose in a steakbake monopoly. It's becoming a binary choice between franchise pastry and interesting but alienating pastries about murdering members of your own family

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 14, 2017, 01:18:57 PM

Yeah, there's just no choice any more, all superheroes everywhere.

Just looking on the website for my nearest cinema, the largest of eight cinemas in Sheffield, at tomorrow's listings and if you don't wanna see a superhero movie you've only got A Bad Moms Christmas, Blade Runner 2049, Breathe, Fireworks, Geostorm, Happy Death Day, Jigsaw, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Murder on the Orient Express, Only the Brave, Paddington 2, Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman, Qarib Qarib Single, The Florida Project or The Lego Ninjago Movie to choose from.