Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#lestweforget

Started by SpiderChrist, November 10, 2017, 09:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: MoonDust on November 11, 2017, 11:01:25 AM
Does it make me a cunt that I negatively judge people - especially young people - who wear red poppies now? Because over the past decade, I really think the poppy has come to symbolise something else other than the soldiers of WW1 and WW2. So long as people aren't deluding themselves into thinking soldiers in WW1 sacrificed themselves for freedom, I've still no qualms if people wear a poppy for the WW1 dead, as I would still say need remembering in the context of how they were lied to, and the first world war was a European tragedy, not anything to glorify.

But these days, what with armed forces day and that, the poppy now seems to symbolise just support for the military in general, which given Iraq and that, is not something we should be proud about. Also compounded by the fact that 10 or 20 years ago, people selling poppies would be old veterans from the world war. There was something humble about it. Now they're sold by serving soldiers in wars they shouldn't be involved in. Not that that's the soldiers' faults, they don't decide who to go to war with.

But even so, if I see young people wearing poppies these days I do find myself thinking in my head "why are they wearing that? What do they think it means in this day and age?" I guess I could ask them, but that would be quite confrontational.

Also with that Poppy Watch twitter page, although is amusing, is also unnerving the amount of jingoism and nationalism now associated with the poppy. People saying you're a traitor if you don't wear one, or far right cunts saying they'd like to punch people who wear white poppies in the face.

The world's gone mad. Lest we forget. We've already forgotten. We've forgotten that the poppy isn't a symbol to promote militarism, it's a symbol to remind us war is fucking awful, even if we're fighting Nazis, it was still a nightmare to be directly involved in.

You can wear a red poppy and oppose all recent wars. Supporting the troops doesn't mean supporting the conflicts politicians make them fight in.

Far right twats hijacking the poppy, like they hijack the Union Jack and the Cross of St George, is a problem and I don't know what you can do. Personally I think we need to reclaim the Union Jack and the Cross of St George from racists and fascists, but that is another flag. British and English flags should represent all of Britain, regardless of colour, sex, sexuality or other demographics.

Buelligan

I wouldn't wear a poppy to support anyone's troops, I wouldn't wave a flag either but I entirely agree with this -

Quote from: finnquark on November 11, 2017, 06:46:15 PM
Edit to add that, though it isn't my place to say so, I would encourage those with a desire to remember and mourn in a sincere way to wear a poppy. If only to avoid ceding the ground to the far-right. I'm not sure abandoning the idea of poppies is helpful if you're concerned about them being adopted by what you think are dangerous messages.

I think that people should talk more about what the poppy means to them, to me it means reverencing, mourning and upholding the terrible sacrifice that all those poor people made, refusing utterly to support war and opposing anyone who'd like to hold another one with every fibre of my soul.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not going to start waving flags I don't want to wave because some twats who believe things I think are awful are waving them, flag-waving generally is for twats.

Bum Flaps

Lest we forget are brave airmen, defending us against continental oppression ...

Sebastian Cobb

Is it wrong that that picture genuinely cheers me up a bit?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 12, 2017, 12:13:04 AM
Is it wrong that that picture genuinely cheers me up a bit?

Not at all.  It is what it exists for.  And post-Brexit you are supposed to enjoy it even more.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2017, 11:28:24 PM
I'm not going to start waving flags I don't want to wave because some twats who believe things I think are awful are waving them, flag-waving generally is for twats.

Yep. I like you Quincey but you can sod off with your 'reclaiming flags' stuff. Patriotism is never necessary. Being a decent citizen is enough.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bum Flaps on November 11, 2017, 11:58:22 PM
Lest we forget are brave airmen, defending us against continental oppression ...

I showed this to a polish guy the other day and he thought it was hilarious.

Was there a remembrance Saturday AND Sunday this year? I'm sure the BBC have used the same report for both days...and with heads bowed, the crowd fall silent

What was the Rene waxwork museum called. I saw a Louis Tussauds in Niagara today

steve98

I think it might have been in Gt Yarmouth.

(I dunno if Rene's in the pic; I see CaB favourites, like Bean and Blobby are though).

[EDIT] I see now Rene's there(at the back).

I don't know who the others are; though maybe that's a gun-toting 007(looks like Steven Segall) in the centre

steve98

First rate Sir Cliff...

Ladies and Gentleman, please show your appreciation for  The (former)President Of The United States: Barack Obama...

Icehaven

Quote from: steve98 on November 12, 2017, 08:04:43 AM
First rate Sir Cliff...

You could say that was quite...egregious.

steve98

Later, at the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour, I invite members to join me in a 3 minute Remembrance  silence.

Diana.

She shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary her nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We shall remember her.

greenman

Least we forget Blackadder Goes Forth.

Buelligan

Yeah, who didn't wipe a tear at the end of that?

BritishHobo

Fabian Thomsett

Suspiciously Aryan looking kid there.

MoonDust

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on November 12, 2017, 11:01:36 AM

Suspiciously Aryan looking kid there.

Maybe now that Poland is seeing a surging support of the far right, our right-wing rags will finally start acknowledging that the Battle of Britain was helped largely by Polish pilots who joined the RAF.

Replies From View

Christopher Nolan has a lot to answer for.

buttgammon

Paused from writing for two minutes at 11 and totally lost my train of thought, spoiling a morning's work. 1/10, would much rather drive around blaring Holiday in Cambodia by the Dead Kennedys Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima through a megaphone next year.

greenman

Quote from: Buelligan on November 12, 2017, 08:54:06 AM
Yeah, who didn't wipe a tear at the end of that?

Actually tell a lie Blackadder only had three series didn't it? the end of Blackadder Goes Third they all die at Waterloo.

idunnosomename

What the fuck has the Battle of Britain got to do with remembering the fallen though really

"So few" - what about the poor bastards not in the RAF who were stuck in the trenches for five years?

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 12, 2017, 12:31:02 PM
what about the poor bastards not in the RAF who were stuck in the trenches for five years?

In the end they just walked off.

Johnny Yesno

What the fuck has the Battle of Britain got to do with remembering the fallen though really

"So few" - what about the poor bastards not in the RAF who were stuck in the trenches for five years?

Any true patriot would want a picture of a Hurricane.

Or a Blenheim. You'd think the Heil would want to champion that one.

BlodwynPig

Luxury Glossy Paper

FUCK OFF

It's 10:23am here, have I missed the official silence or do I need to respect the silence at 11am local time wherever I am? Quandary. Fuck it. No silence, no white flag.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I honoured the silence, unless I was snoring, in which case, soz.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul DacreWhen Life sends you trenches, grow asparagus.  :)

king_tubby

I had a meeting with a solicitor yesterday, and she was wearing a poppy.

I think 364 days early is taking the piss somewhat.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: king_tubby on November 14, 2017, 09:20:00 AM
I had a meeting with a solicitor yesterday, and she was wearing a poppy.

I think 364 days early is taking the piss somewhat.

I've seen quite a few people wearing them this week. It's either laziness or ostentatiousness.

Replies From View

I too have seen people out and about still wearing their poppies.

How long are they intending to "remember" this shit?  Ludicrous.