Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Neverending Tory (Megacatastrofuck)

Started by Alberon, November 10, 2017, 06:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

People who have held senior office should be compelled to join the Lords after leaving as an MP, so we can keep track of what they're up to via their members interests forms or whatever.

That Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron have somehow all managed to avoid a peerage and any real scrutiny of their financial affairs is mad.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 13, 2018, 05:17:04 PM
Yeah, probably better to use a term like "career politicians" or summat then?

I believe we settled on the term 'careerist' here.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on May 13, 2018, 05:54:16 PM
People who have held senior office should be compelled to join the Lords after leaving as an MP, so we can keep track of what they're up to via their members interests forms or whatever.

That Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron have somehow all managed to avoid a peerage and any real scrutiny of their financial affairs is mad.

Haha! That would be quite funny. Quickest way to get the Lords abolished, I reckon.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 13, 2018, 05:56:14 PM
Haha! That would be quite funny. Quickest way to get the Lords abolished, I reckon.

Then preventing them from taking on work while they're MPs is completely ineffective if they can just waltz into a non-exec directorship as soon as they're booted out of their constituencies.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 13, 2018, 05:56:47 PM
Then preventing them from taking on work while they're MPs is completely ineffective if they can just waltz into a non-exec directorship as soon as they're booted out of their constituencies.

Oh, I agree it's a good idea. I just think it's funny that an honour like that would be a millstone around the necks of careerists. And we'd probably find ourselves arguing in favour of maintaining the Lords while they were trying to abolish it.

Howj Begg

Further Commons are a corrupt bunch of cunts news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44122179

QuoteMPs have, for a second time in a week, voted against re-opening the Leveson inquiry into press standards after ministers made further concessions.

Culture Secretary Matt Hancock said a review of newspapers' compliance with data protection rules would be widened in scope and would become permanent.

Labour said a "solemn" promise was made in 2011 for a two-part inquiry and new evidence of misconduct was emerging.

MPs overturned a Lords amendment backing phase two, by 301 votes to 289.

The government majority of 12 was slightly larger than in last week's vote, when ministers prevailed by nine votes.

George Oscar Bluth II

Leveson 2 would be amazing and must happen. Britain's worst people being hauled over the coals. Yes please.

Presumably it's nailed on if Corbyn ever gets in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Electoral and press reform would arguably do more for ordinary people in the longer term than many of Labour's other manifesto pledges, just though they are.

Replies From View

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on May 16, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
Presumably it's nailed on if Corbyn ever gets in.

And yet you don't want him to.  You'd rather have a Blairite Labour leader instead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
And yet you don't want him to.  You'd rather have a Blairite Labour leader instead.

Can't we wait until he actually says something disagreeable to pick a fight?

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 16, 2018, 03:10:23 PM
Can't we wait until he actually says something disagreeable to pick a fight?

NO I AM TOO IMPATIENT FOR THAT

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2018, 09:41:11 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/18/tories-crash-generation-young-people-conservative-ruth-davidson

Guardian sucking Davidson off once again

'Be more liberal' says a woman who supported the rape clause.

QuoteThe younger generation, and society at large, is not yearning for a five-year plan of centrally delivered tractor quotas.

Still not getting it.

QuoteAs someone who has only in the past year got a foot on the housing ladder myself, I know how difficult it can be, even for people on a decent salary.

Fixing stuff that affects her. This tory's really different, folks.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The hardon The Guardian and their centrist crew have for Davidson is embarrassing for everyone concerned. They think she is the next Cameron and most of their staff have more in common with either than they do with ordinary people

Fambo Number Mive

Davidson is launching another thinktank next year. Because that's what we need, another thinktank making policy on behalf of the people. Personally I think that thinktanks are a danger to society and should be boycotted.

greencalx

Davidson is no threat. There's no way yer English shire Tories are going to tolerate a Scottish lesbian as party leader. (It'll be the Scottish part that's more problematic from this perspective).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2018, 01:14:24 PM
Personally I think that thinktanks are a danger to society and should be boycotted.

I agree. I remember a story in Viz about a man who fell to his death while cleaning the inside of a thinktank.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteTheresa May has on the eve of the royal wedding nominated nine new Tory peers, including the former cabinet ministers Sir Eric Pickles and Peter Lilley and handed one to Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist party as she tries to bolster her party's fragile position in the House of Lords.

Four other former Tory MPs are to be elevated to a chamber which has defied May's government on 15 occasions over Brexit, in an afternoon announcement that has prompted accusations that No 10 was trying to use Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding to bury the news.

The full list of Tories includes Sir Edward Garnier, Sir John Randall, Sir Alan Haselhurst and Andrew Tyrie, all former MPs. May's other nominees are Diana Barran, Catherine Meyer, the founder of Action Against Abduction who is married to former US ambassador Sir Christopher Meyer, and Amanda Sater, a former party deputy chair...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/18/may-names-nine-new-tory-peers-to-boost-party-after-brexit-defeats

Johnny Yesno

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hopefully Corbyn will nail the Tories now there are new stories today about the UK government allowing the Russians to launder dirty money in the city.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2018, 01:14:24 PM
Davidson is launching another thinktank next year. Because that's what we need, another thinktank making policy on behalf of the people. Personally I think that thinktanks are a danger to society and should be boycotted.

But where would the Today programme's editors get their guests from? They'd actually have to do some journalism and research!

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 21, 2018, 02:08:45 PM
More on their new think tank: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/21/michael-gove-and-ruth-davidson-team-up-to-back-new-tory-thinktank

QuoteGove, the environment secretary, who has long been one of the party's most influential thinkers, said: "The Conservative party is at its best when it appeals beyond its core vote and puts forward a reforming, forward-looking agenda that responds to the concerns of the entire nation."

Smart of Gove to realise the Tories seem more palatable when they're pretending to care about more than the richest 1%.  Next step:  get some thinkers in to figure out how to perform this illusion.  Great.

Quotewithout fresh ideas and a broader appeal, the party will be "be finished for at least a generation".

Please please please please.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/desperate-tories-consider-giving-new-12571189

For all those considering joining the Tories for permanent discounted fried chicken, Nandos have said they won't be part of it. Looks like Henley-on-Thames Fried Chicken will have to step into the breach.

Replies From View

That's wonderful.  I naturally assumed Nando's were in on it, and I'm delighted the Tories have been snubbed.

greencalx

I didn't understand the centrally-delivers tractor quotas thing the first time, and it didn't make any more sense when it was repeated.

olliebean

Am I right in thinking that the main point of Tory think tanks is to come up with extreme ideas so that the actual policies that are subsequently announced seem relatively sane?

jobotic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2018, 02:57:14 PM
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/desperate-tories-consider-giving-new-12571189

For all those considering joining the Tories for permanent discounted fried chicken, Nandos have said they won't be part of it. Looks like Henley-on-Thames Fried Chicken will have to step into the breach.

I was looking forward to a cheeky vote for a cheeky Tory.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: olliebean on May 21, 2018, 08:00:11 PM
Am I right in thinking that the main point of Tory think tanks is to come up with extreme ideas so that the actual policies that are subsequently announced seem relatively sane?

May has even dropped that quite effective tactic of Gideon of Cocaine, she and her advisors are so utterly shit.

king_tubby

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/998637919240892418

Um, Liz, your hashtag there, I do not think it means what you think it means.