Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The haunting melancholy of Bergerac - a study of loss through nostalgia

Started by BlodwynPig, November 11, 2017, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on April 19, 2018, 12:13:48 AM
Dennis Waterman's Stay Lucky, Leslie Grantham's Paradise Club (!), Bulman, Dangerfield, Jerome Flynn's Badger, The Gentle Touch/C.A.T.S Eyes?
calm down calm down

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 18, 2018, 11:50:14 PM
Shoestring and The Chinese Detective are clearly the best choices to follow up Bergerac.

Plumped for Shoestring and boy oh boy, what a gem already! Somehow seems fresher than Bergerac despite being older, also with added wit and some familiar faces (Inspector Crozier as a dodgy city boy, Hungerford's Rolls?, Tony Haygarth as the West Country godfather, and tv evergreen and Leslie Crowther's daughter, Liz)

Doran Godwin, Shoestring's landlady looks the spit of Hattie Morahan

Anyway this is warming up nicely. Great acting, 70s soundtrack, West Country gloom. Somewhere Fred West is a killing. Although this show doesn't seem like it will go as dark.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

anyway, the mystery of Crozier's teeth is now resolved - his gap-toothed, tombstone gnashers were there even back in 1979.

BlodwynPig

Norton Canes

Not quite along the same lines, but if you a) like shows featuring characters where the responsibility of duty lies heavy and b) want to watch the best TV drama series ever made, definitely make time for The Sandbaggers.

biggytitbo

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2018, 09:55:20 AM
Not quite along the same lines, but if you a) like shows featuring characters where the responsibility of duty lies heavy and b) want to watch the best TV drama series ever made, definitely make time for The Sandbaggers.
I just downloaded that before

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

This thread has really taken off AFTER Bergerac-watch finished. Shame! Sham!

monkfromhavana

Has anyone ever binge watched any of the Beiderbecke series with James Bolam? I get the feeling I'd either love it or hate it.

daf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 19, 2018, 05:39:37 PM
Has anyone ever binge watched any of the Beiderbecke series with James Bolam?

I tried, but he wouldn't let me past his front door - had to make do with Barbara Flynn instead.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 20, 2018, 08:08:23 AM
like with most things

I'm mostly pretty "it's alright" about most things.

I caught a bit of Bergerac yesterday, lookred a really good episode but missed the last half hour. Jim in London with the smack addicted cop version of Jonathan Meades.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on April 19, 2018, 12:13:48 AM
Dennis Waterman's Stay Lucky, Leslie Grantham's Paradise Club (!), Bulman, Dangerfield, Jerome Flynn's Badger, The Gentle Touch/C.A.T.S Eyes?

Bob Dylan ( If wet, R.E.M ) consider(s) rewrite.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 22, 2018, 09:58:41 AM
I'm mostly pretty "it's alright" about most things.

I caught a bit of Bergerac yesterday, lookred a really good episode but missed the last half hour. Jim in London with the smack addicted cop version of Jonathan Meades.

Pure early 90s noir that. One of my favourites, but 70% of the show is one of my favourites.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 07, 2019, 05:09:49 PM
Now, BlodwynPig. Steel yourself.

Oh HOPE BEYOND HOPE!

QuoteThere is no word on who would play the lead role of Bergerac.

If Nettles is too obese now, *raises hand*

daf

Keep toying with the idea of a 'The haunting melancholy of Midsomer Murders - a study of something through something else' thread - but can't work out what the somethings should be.

MM is great btw - The Bergerac years are best of course - his replacement 'younger cousin' Neil Dudgeon only has one expression - squinting into the middle distance while trying to work out where that mysterious eggy fart smell is coming from - and is regularly acted off the screen by his pet dog - "Mr Woofles"!

daf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 07, 2019, 05:36:58 PM
There is no word on who would play the lead role of Bergerac.

Introducing Neil Dudgeon as younger cousin 'Tim' Bergerac - squinting into the middle distance as Leela from Tenko drops an eggy one.

BlodwynPig

I've only watched a couple of MM, and Dudgeon ones - I thought it was excellent - he played it with some satire and wit. Nettles was too bland for that, obviously just phoning it in after his momentous decade on Bergerac.

Will be loading these up again to have a watch through prior to my audition.

BlodwynPig

biggytitbo

Bring back John Nettles I say, he is only 75, I reckon he could still solve slightly spooky crimes at his age as long as he does most of it sitting down.

Peter Falk was older than that when he did his last Columbo, although he did look like a confused pensioner in that episode tbf.

daf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2019, 12:41:03 AM
I've only watched a couple of MM, and Dudgeon ones - I thought it was excellent - he played it with some satire and wit. Nettles was too bland for that, obviously just phoning it in after his momentous decade on Bergerac.

How about :

The haunting melancholy of Midsomer Murders part 1 - a study of blandness through phoning it in

The haunting melancholy of Midsomer Murders part 2 - a study of fart-location through middle-distance squinting

I'm not convinced by Dudgeon - he was in one of the early Nettles as "different character" (& potential Red Herring), and was exactly the same - 100% solid Pine!