Author Topic: Oblomov  (Read 430 times)

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
Oblomov
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
A beautiful story of a procrastinating Russian nobleman. Famously the beginning of the book chronicles his epic journey from his bed to his chair.

I read this several years ago and I'm thinking about a re-read. Anybody else love this classic?

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
Re: Oblomov
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
He is a strangely potent icon.  I sometimes think both depression and the fucking up of the world are often side-effects of having ambition drummed into us at such a young age.  Never managing to meet such lofty, far-off goals, and leaving great big pockmarks on the world as our legacy, means we're left in a permanent state of dissatisfaction. The idea of this humble hero who's nothing but gentle and understanding with people but about as ambitious as a nicotine stain, a person who's able to withdraw inwards and draw from a wealth of memories and fantasies, is an inspiring one for me at least.  I mean, perhaps not accruing quite so many bed-sores and leaving your comfort zone every now and then can't hurt, but finding a few very simple things in life that make you happy seems to be a much more rewarding path than the one we're plopped on in younger life and most of us rarely deviate from.  Go Oblomov!

Howj Begg

• They raised a beetroot in the air...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:32:36 PM »
Bon. Never read it. Can we do it as a Shelf Abuse book club read?

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
I am trying desperately to catch up with Middlemarch so I am the last person who should be making requests, but I would like to second that as an idea.