Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oblomov

Started by Twed, November 13, 2017, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

A beautiful story of a procrastinating Russian nobleman. Famously the beginning of the book chronicles his epic journey from his bed to his chair.

I read this several years ago and I'm thinking about a re-read. Anybody else love this classic?

Sin Agog

He is a strangely potent icon.  I sometimes think both depression and the fucking up of the world are often side-effects of having ambition drummed into us at such a young age.  Never managing to meet such lofty, far-off goals, and leaving great big pockmarks on the world as our legacy, means we're left in a permanent state of dissatisfaction. The idea of this humble hero who's nothing but gentle and understanding with people but about as ambitious as a nicotine stain, a person who's able to withdraw inwards and draw from a wealth of memories and fantasies, is an inspiring one for me at least.  I mean, perhaps not accruing quite so many bed-sores and leaving your comfort zone every now and then can't hurt, but finding a few very simple things in life that make you happy seems to be a much more rewarding path than the one we're plopped on in younger life and most of us rarely deviate from.  Go Oblomov!

Howj Begg

Bon. Never read it. Can we do it as a Shelf Abuse book club read?

Twed

I am trying desperately to catch up with Middlemarch so I am the last person who should be making requests, but I would like to second that as an idea.