Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rocket League (Switch Edition)

Started by Shay Chaise, November 14, 2017, 05:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

If you've never played this, it's instantly one of the best games now available on the Switch. I just had a crap and played two games online.

Wow!
Wow!
OMG!
Sorry...

I don't notice the lack of analogue triggers, at all. It runs brilliantly, it's perfectly visible in handheld despite the chaotic gameplay. It's literally Rocket League on the Switch. I got it from the SA store for about £13. Probably as good a bargain as you'll find.

falafel

I thought i had 'dabbled for a few minutes and really enjoyed it' but it turns out I have already put 5 hours into RL when I look back on Steam. Playing this on the go will be mind-blowing.

Holding back the urge. Gnnnnnnnnn.

Shay Chaise

Why? It's the cost of probably half a pint in London.

falafel

falafel

Yeah, it's amazing. This game is magic. And it has local multiplayer! I need friends to buy Switches.

Shay Chaise

Start with people who own Switches and befriend them, much more efficient.

No, I won't be your friend.

Ok, go on then.

Shay Chaise

This is shite stuck in work when I wanna play RL rn. Fuckkkk. Gonna have a pizza for lunch to make up for it and a gin and tonic to show them what's what.

Bleeding Kansas

Does this work split screen with a single Joycon each or is this lovely game going to force me to buy more controllers?

Thursday

I was shit at this when I played it on PS4, I really wish I could have been any good at all. Now I find myself wanting to buy it on Switch, I don't even want to play this in handheld mode, what's wrong with me? Redownloading it to PS4 to stop myself doing something stupid.

Harpo Speaks

Probably because it's one of the best games ever made. It demands to be played.

Calculated.

Thursday

The ball is still slightly too floaty though, Just slightly, it needs to fall slightly faster, and I still find the camera to act a bit weird sometimes.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: Shay Chaise on November 14, 2017, 01:27:03 PM
Split screen even when undocked.

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to buy this now aren't I...

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Thursday on November 14, 2017, 10:00:27 PM
The ball is still slightly too floaty though, Just slightly, it needs to fall slightly faster

Can't say that I feel this particularly, though I suppose the ball 'feel' is pretty ingrained after putting about 200 hours in. I'm still absolute toss mind.

I think you may be able to adjust that in the Mutator settings, but that's only going to be of use in a bot or private match.

Quoteand I still find the camera to act a bit weird sometimes.

Is that using Ball Cam or Car Cam? I play with someone who never uses Ball Cam and I don't know how he manages it.

Jobey

Fuck I'm going to have get this aren't I
Is it car footbal?

asids

I've got about 40 or 50 hours or something on it on PC. I think I gave up cause I started just playing complete crap one day even though I was trying to learn about the game mechanics and the "pro" techniques (and how to actually hit a bloody ball well that's high in the air). It is a hell of a lot of fun though and well worth it.

Jobey

Can you jebends please add me I have no Switch friends

SW-0814-8467-1500

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

My first couple of games where I was playing against newbies were the most fun, but then I started playing against people who knew what they were doing and it started getting frustrating. Still kept me going back trying to improve my skills though.

Shay Chaise

Turn off cross play in the settings, so you're not paired with PC wankers playing it with some eight hundred quid mouse.

I'm loving this game and getting to the stage where sometimes I seem the best person on my team.

Have we all shared friend codes or whatever so we can play together?

Glebe

Rugby league, Justice League and now Rocket League... what next, he asked in astonishment!

Beagle 2

I've started playing this again, every now and then it's great to dip in and remember that it's one of the greatest games ever made.

I pretty much always play 2 vs 2. How does playing with friends work on there? Could we get a game going or friend up across different consoles? I'm regularly playing people who aren't on Switch and it doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Absolutely hilarious bloke I had last night who was bawling at his poor teammate, and ended up signing off with "the game has been lost through your selfishness".

Blue Jam

Quote from: Glebe on November 25, 2017, 11:07:09 AM
Rugby league, Justice League and now Rocket League... what next, he asked in astonishment!

Compulsory playing when you live with a lovely Widnesian. This is actually really good fun, got RLL4 but still not got round to installing it.

Rocket League is ace of course. Easy to play, hard to master, incredibly satisfying no matter how good or bad you are at it, fun to play or watch people play, great for local co-op and great online- as everyone else has said, one of the best games ever made. Enjoy it, all you Switch n00bs.

Kryton

Quote from: Shay Chaise on November 17, 2017, 08:09:03 AM
Turn off cross play in the settings, so you're not paired with PC wankers playing it with some eight hundred quid mouse.

Good PC players never play RL with mouse. Controller works best

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 09, 2020, 01:22:51 PM
I've started playing this again, every now and then it's great to dip in and remember that it's one of the greatest games ever made.

I genuinely think it might be my favourite game of all time. Over 750 hours time logged at this point, and despite me still being pretty much grave level in terms of skill, I never find it anything other than a joy to play.

Kryton

What rank is everyone by the way?
I can never push past Platinum III. Was probably one match away from diamond at one point but got relegated back down to Plat II due to playing when drunk.

Blue Jam

I'd like to recommend the Snow Day mode (where the pitch is frozen and the ball is replaced with an ice hockey puck) and the Dropshot mode (where you have to bounce the ball off the roof and smash it through the floor on your opponent's side).

Hoops mode can fuck off though. Playing basketball with cars is just mad.

C_Larence

Quote from: Kryton on January 10, 2020, 01:42:00 PM
I can never push past Platinum III. Was probably one match away from diamond at one point but got relegated back down to Plat II due to playing when drunk.

I usually play doubles, and the highest I've reached is Diamond III Division IV, but generally I stay around high Diamond I - mid Diamond II, depending on if I play alone or with a friend I know is good. The quality difference between Platinum and Diamond is probably the most subtle, definitely much less noticeable than Diamond and Champ, or Gold and Plat.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Kryton on January 10, 2020, 01:42:00 PM

High gold/low plat. That's all my teammates fault though and nothing to do with my slow reaction speed, awful decision making, and shoddy mechanical skill.

Main guy I double with does play permanently in Car Cam though which I find absolutely baffling. I only find it useful for dribbling and demos for the most part.