Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Disaster Artist

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, November 15, 2017, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 11, 2018, 05:55:44 PM
What's the forum's opinion on brother Dave Franco?

Note - I only know him as James Franco's brother, and from a few films.  Don't know owt else about him.

I didn't know he existed until reading this thread (after watching TDA last night) so when I read the post referring to Dave Franco playing Greg I thought someone was deliberately getting the names/characters wrong to emphasise their disdain for the film. But I was wrong.

Anyway not much to add that hasn't been said, wasted opportunity, could have been much better if done by someone who wanted to make a film about Tommy Wiseau rather than about themselves playing him, but still had a few good moments.
And fair doos to anyone who says they enjoyed/got anything whatsoever out of this despite not having seen The Room, but surely they must have at least some awareness of the whole legend and maybe watched a few of the more famous scenes on youtube. Going in completely cold having never heard of it or Tommy or any of the stories around the production it'd be a bit hard to work out what was going on, why people were behaving the way they were and as if only half the story was being told. Bit like watching The Room really. Aaahhhh....

And as a slightly boring aside, the Vue cinema in Newcastle Under Lyme was showing it at 11.30pm every time we looked at their listings for absolutely ages. Dunno if it was every day but it was every Saturday or Sunday night for at least 3 months. Is that normal or did they misunderstand and think they were doing midnight Room showings?

Shit Good Nose

I started watching it a mate's house last night, but had to sack it off and go home as I was feeling rough as balls.  But I thought the 20-25 minutes I saw was mildly entertaining, if you step back and ignore the Franco issues.

Again, only basing it on what I saw, but I would certainly rather watch this again than have to sit through The Room.  I'll normally quite happily watch stuff I didn't like a second time (usually just to see if the older and battle worn brain can get anything more out of it), but The Room (which I have actually seen twice, the second time because I was outvoted - but I had the last laugh because all bar one person ended up agreeing with me) I will happily go to my grave never seeing that again.

George White

Tried watching this, and realised that Franco himself has had a whole second career producing student films that have never gotten any kind of release.
Some sound ambitious - an adaptation of Melville's Typee https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/#producer

Wondering if the film miht have wroked better with a student crew.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3263566/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1 Sadie Fearon, Ashley Wu and Isabelle Jacoby's Doors/I from 2013- the only work of either, a documentary horror about doors.
Conor Verity worked on it too, who also did two student shorts - Weelz and Infultration.
A Sadie Fearo later worked on Metamorphosis - Senior year, one of the various amateur projects shepherded by James Franco.