Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rampage (2018)

Started by DukeDeMondo, November 16, 2017, 10:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Finally. Rampage (2018). Here's a trailer: https://youtu.be/9reTM2poGQs

I don't usually bother with trailers, but I watched that, and I thought it was good craic, and I think I liked the game as a youngster, and I quite like Dwayne Johnson in things, so probably I will see this film called Rampage (2018).

Although it does look like it's going to be an hour and twenty minutes of Rise Of The Planet Of The Rock with maybe only twenty or twenty five minutes of actual Rampaging tucked away at its arse, but still.

Small Man Big Horse

Noticed it was from the director of San Andreas, which was a dumb, stupid movie, but one which delivered on the spectacle front, so hopefully this will do so too.

DukeDeMondo

I haven't seen San Andreas, or anything else he's done by the look of things, but if he knows his way around a fuck load of clattering and crashing and thumping and banging I'm happy enough.

Steven

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 16, 2017, 11:35:13 PM
if he knows his way around a fuck load of clattering and crashing and thumping and banging I'm happy enough.

Judging by that, then you should be directing.

SteveDave

This has lead me to finding out how much Neo Geo's are now.

Still fucking expensive. I saw a SNES in the window of a Cash Generator last week going for £100.00!

Glebe

Used to love the game. This looks shit, natch.

Dex Sawash

Was so excited to come drop a bunch of video game related tags when I saw the thread title. Open it up and fuck. It's about the video game.

I do like the game. The way the chunks get knocked out of the building in the trailer looked perfect.

Bazooka

Does not look good, Primal Rage was the better game anyway of the beast beat em ups.

kidsick5000

What's with the helicopter shot at the end?
Am I missing something?

Otherwise, if that ape don't make it, I'm going to be very unhappy

DukeDeMondo

I watched this on Sunday night, so. I think it was Sunday night. May as well have been a billion years ago for all I remember, but it was on and I looked and listened with some interest until it was off and this is the ins and outs of what little recollection I have of it:

The monsters looked pretty good and all and they put their backs into it, like, smashing aeroplanes out of the air and throwing folk through skyscrapers and climbing high up onto the top of stuff and pummelling everything going and causing no end of fuss for everybody involved, but they felt entirely weightless and separate from the scenes they were in. At no point were my brains fooled into thinking that the giant wolf was occupying the same space as The Rock. There's lot of stuff that recalls the last third of Man Of Steel, but when somebody got punched through a pavement or clotheslined into a ceiling in Man Of Steel I felt it, and I felt nothing at all of the sort with this. There's no THUD to anything.

It has the delirious disregard for human life that the wildest Roland Emmerich disaster pictures display from time to time. Folk are eaten and flattened and pounded about the chops till the life is pounded out of them over and over and over and the film couldn't give the flap of a starling's fuck for any of them.

It isn't an hour and twenty minutes of The Rock warning folk that the monkeys are growing big and nobody listening and then a load of helicopters and then ten minutes of smashing stuff and then fifteen minutes of a bunch of Later On. The monsters are on the rip from the get go, even if it takes maybe thirty-five minutes for the monsters you/I came to see to start battering the tits out of other.

The monsters had the same names they had in the game.

That's as much as I have.

Junglist

Ah man its great its a big CGI ape and other things and The Rock just wrecking shit

Desirable Industrial Unit

This misunderstands the original text on several levels, but the most fundamental is the idea that the monsters are the bad guys.  They're not the bad guys, you wouldn't be playing them in the game if they were.  They're just doing what they do, just up to their monster business.  The film sort of grudgingly understands that so it makes one of them the good guy, and that's where it goes even further wrong.

They always do this, don't they?  One of them has to be the good guy.  Alien vs. Predator, Freddy vs. Jason, one of them's got to be a bit less of an arsehole than the other so the audience is on their side.  There are three to pick from here, which is far too much for the film to deal with so it holds one back until the last half hour, at which point we're pretty much sold on the good guy.

With that said, it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.  Complete pile of horseshit but it's not on the level of a Transformers flick or anything.

Mini

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 27, 2018, 03:06:09 AM
With that said, it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.  Complete pile of horseshit but it's not on the level of a Transformers flick or anything.

I'd agree with that, and I even preferred it to Kong: Skull Island which I found far more obnoxious. Still, horseshit as you say. Reviewed it here.

Dex Sawash

Watched on plane. I really thought this was sort of OK. Story not terrible. Would much rather watch this than Black Panther/Avengers/etc
Johnson was good, he should get anoscarother role out of  this, everyone else was shit.