Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Parents' Taste

Started by Chairman Bodog, November 17, 2017, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Bodog

I feel blessed that my parents had eclectic tastes. My dad is a big prog cunt. From Big Big Train to Spock's Beard. Last time I saw him he even had Genesis as a password. He's probably updated it now, mate. Alright?

My mum is a Kate fangirl. She makes the seat sopping at Bush time. She loves System of a Down too. Anything that is catchy but clutching the cusp of underground is my moom's taste.

That conflagrant spice mix of hotheaded 70s fantasm and 80s coke shrieking is a mite more interesting to me than the joey that has Madonna and Vanilla Ice in their hub capsule..

This thread is all about constructing the Eton mess that is our relationship to the banger paternal origin. Thanks to my absent father I am very in tune with headspin and junk. My mum taught me to show girls sexy toons.

Gregory Torso

My parents had typical 70s/80s mum and dad ear taste buds. Later, I grew to appreciate the ELO, the Roxy Music, the David Bowie, Nancy and Lee, Scott Walker - these helped me later out of a punk slump when I fucked up royally and had to move back home in my twenties. Found much comfort.

My mum bought the Cold Feet soundtrack which has "Windowlicker" on it weirdly and amusingly, I was there to witness her go "what the FUCK is this?" and skip it on.
My mate, my bezzie mate, the reclusive cunt, lives in a house of music. He grew up with Beefheart, Zappa, Johnny Thunders, The Beachy Head Boys, his old bearded man was singing along to "Hip Priest" when we went round in our charity shop suit days.

Now I'm a cool dad and my son gets to listen to my noise in the car.

bgmnts

My mum likes shit 70s and 80s pop and rock as well as decent 90s indie bands. Queen, Manics Street Preachers and UB40 to sum up.

I had to figure out Rush were the greatest band of all time on my own, which is the best way.

Edit: My nan and bamps were/are well into Marty Robbins, Kenny Rogers and Don Williams so that bled into me.

Chairman Bodog

So you're a decade older than me but we have both had the same mix ultimatum. I was a big metalhead till 14. I discovered green and washing and trip. So many hops and machine play. At this point I will still say ambient music defines me. Future garage and ambstep as pock marks flesh jiggling.

Hip hoppity i dig like pete in the dirt. The rest is a product they can sell after the jobs. 

Dr Rock

Fats Domino (they bonded over both liking him - also my dad had a motorbike), Elvis, Country & Western, Roy Orbison, Doo-Wop, anything good from the fifties and early 60s, The Shadows but not Cliff. I ended up liking about everything they used to, and it all feels like folk music to me now because i grew up surrounded by it. A lot of my uncles were proper Teddy Boys.

My dad lost interest in anything but Don Williams as he got older, but my mum's taste went all over the place, this is a CD I recently made for her 79th birthday, made up of songs I knew she liked (and a couple I guessed she would like):

There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics
Pretend - Alvin Stardust
I'm On Fire (UltraTraxx Bonfire Mix) - Bruce Springsteen
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (Ultrasound Playmix)   
Drive (Ultratraxx Extended Slow Mix) - The Cars
Sweet Sixteen - Billy Idol
Snowbird - Elvis Presley
Sherry - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
Ain't That A Shame - Fats Domino
Blue Moon - The Marcels
Blanket On The Ground - Billie Jo Spears
A Thing Called Love - Tom Jones
El Paso - Marty Robbins
Psycho - Jack Kittel
Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
Elvis Presley Blues - Gillian Welch
Jersey Girl - Tom Waits
Desperado - Carpenters

Chairman Bodog

Beautiful. Is your mooma still knocking with us?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on November 18, 2017, 12:11:57 AM
Beautiful. Is your mooma still knocking with us?

Yup. She's just getting over shingles, but she's in good shape. Looks good for her age.

Chairman Bodog

She sounds fine. Send her my love. Tell her that we need more of hers.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on November 18, 2017, 12:14:57 AM
She sounds fine. Send her my love. Tell her that we need more of it.

Thanks. She's the nicest person in the world. I'm not just saying that because she's my mum.

Chairman Bodog

I feel you. My mum is the coolest bitch ever. It's her 47th today. I got her an Heironymus Bosch collection.
She looks after me. She doesn't have a clue about the stupid shit I've done.

Chairman Bodog

How old are you then, sweetheart? You're as mudcunt and grotesque as my mind but i only clock the footnotes.

Small Man Big Horse

My parents didn't seem to have much interest in music at all, Sunday afternoon trips to the grandparents would see my Dad subject us to hymns, whilst Mum had a collection of Frankie Laine records but I never heard her play them. Since he died (both Laine and my Dad) she's found a liking for Andrew Lloyd Webber and John Barrowman, but only tends to put them on at christmas time, just to make the holiday period even more painful than it used to be.

Chairman Bodog

What was your teenage like, SMBH?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on November 18, 2017, 12:21:26 AM
How old are you then, sweetheart? You're as mudcunt and grotesque as my mind but i only clock the footnotes.

Chairman Bodog

Just old enough to lap the purple. Sick headed.

itsfredtitmus

Mum: UB40, Luther Vandross, Sugarhill Gang, used to like Lily Allen a lot when she was a thing

Dad: Hank Williams and Hank Williams only

Chairman Bodog

You must be closer to my age than the rest of these dregs. Jump onto my spotters rash if you have healing hands.

https://open.spotify.com/user/spunkdunker/playlist/4sehQPjHp3ulQu9ke705VP?si=yF3cY_eSTGO7Tg8r7i-H2w xxx

Avril Lavigne

My Dad was into Gentle Giant, Gong, White Noise, Gnidrolog, XTC, Bonzo Dog, The Enid, Sabbath and a lot of obscure prog stuff.  My mom was into INXS.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on November 18, 2017, 12:30:23 AM
What was your teenage like, SMBH?

I was mostly subjected to hair metal and the Rocky Horror Show soundtrack as my sister's stereo was far, far louder than mine. Which probably explains why I wasn't in to music that much at all, I didn't really get in to it until I was about twenty or so when Britpop became all the rage.

Gregory Torso

My wife's parents do not own any records, CDs or tapes*. I have never heard them listen to music, and my wife is kind of the same. She just has no interest in music at all, which is so weird to me, seeing as I, like most people here I think, grew up hearing all kinds of music all the time. I bought her an ipod a few years ago and it only ever had about ten songs on it.

*Although to be fair to them, they grew up in China during the tail end of the Cultural Revolution so they didn't even have a stereo probably.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 18, 2017, 12:13:36 AM
She's just getting over shingles, but she's in good shape.

Because you're introducing her to elpeesh?

Psmith

I grew up with swing jazz always in the background.Peggy Lee,Benny Goodman,Artie Shaw...etc.

Jockice

My folks were both born in the early 1930s and were in their mid-30s when I was born so as you can probably guess, our musical tastes didn't cross over too much.

Dad was actually a talented musician and we had a piano in the house and I started lessons at ten but gave up about a year later when I realised I had absolutely none of that talent. A couple of years later he took up bagpipes to my utter horror and ended up as Pipe Major of the local band. I still can't bear the sound of the things though. As for his musical tastes, he was a bit of a folkie and was always down the pub for those open music nights. He had very little interest in pop music though. The only two records I owned that he expressed any liking for were Germ Free Adolescents by X-Ray Spex and Dub Be Good To Me by Beats International, although I think this may be something to do with seeing both acts on TOTP and fancying the respective singers. He also developed a grudgingly acceptance that Teenage Kicks was good and I once spent a happy afternoon with him trying to play it on the bagpipes. There was also a strange occasion not long after my mum died when he'd spend hours just watching the telly and ended up watching a documentary on Shaun Ryder and then stayed up for a later showing so he could record it for me.

As for mum, she liked sixties stuff, especially Marmalade, who she used to inform me had previously been called The Gaylords, and couldn't work out while I thought it was so funny.  And the surprising moment for me was when I was playing Upside Down by the Jesus And Mary Chain, and she told me that she thought it was quite good.

They had very few records though and most of them were by Neil Diamond. Who I still have a bit of affection for.

studpuppet

My parents both have/had a small base of music taste:

Dad: Sinatra, Hoagy Carmichael, Glenn Miller, and more recently Jake Thackray. He fitted his record collection in a small carry case.

Mum: Ella Fitzgerald, Queen, and Joe Brown & The Bruvvers (she had maybe one record? Ella & Louis Armstrong)

In amongst my dad's records were Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's and those probably did more to form my musical taste than any of the others (although I didn't start to appreciate The Beatles properly until my mid-twenties).

Z

My dad was 18 in 1970 and the only Beatles song he knew was Yellow Submarine, we didn't have a record player growing up.

itsfredtitmus

My dad knows the early ones and Rigby. That's it.

alan nagsworth

I had a fucking great musical upbringing. My mum never used to listen to too much as a kid and it was only during my early teens that I came to appreciate how much of a big fan she was of David Bowie, Kate Bush, Bauhaus, Echo and the Bunnymen, R.E.M, to name a few. Before that, because I saw my grandparents a lot, they used to listen to loads of utterly amazing shit like the Everly Brothers, Harry Chapin, Simon and Garfunkel, Elvis Presley, Del Shannon, Neil Sedaka, Sam Cooke and Roy Orbison, all of which I fully adore to this day and am thankful I had it funnelled into my head during every car journey I was present for. A few years ago, for the first and only Christmas I wasn't with my family, I recorded a video of myself singing Touch The Hem of His Garment and sent it to them as a condolence gift. My whole fucking family cried when they saw it (hopefully out of love and admiration, not out of anguish).

When I started properly getting to know my dad around age 14-16, he got me into a lot of punk stuff, namely Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69, Angelic Upstarts, Buzzcocks... and that had a massive impact on the music I listen to nowadays. In fact all the above mentioned has shaped my tastes a damn sight more than anything I discovered myself in my formative years (i.e. pop punk and nu-metal), not that I don't still really enjoy a lot of that stuff now too. There's very little of anything I listened to as a dorky teenager that I don't often revisit and thoroughly enjoy. Except for Million Dead, because FUCK Frank Turner.

itsfredtitmus

My dad got me into Skrewdriver.