Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Parents' Taste

Started by Chairman Bodog, November 17, 2017, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

itsfredtitmus

NO EXCEPTIONS. ABSOLUTE. FINAL.

bgmnts

I hope to get my right wing starter kit in the post soon, then.

My dad liked Animals, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and soul and blues related 60s stuff generally. He was and is a lefty.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2017, 02:32:17 PM
I hope to get my right wing starter kit in the post soon, then.
I'll mail you the top gear boxset

greenman

Mostly fairly standard, Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison, Queen, Santana, Elton, etc but the live disk of Ummagumma got a play every now and then that probably helped push me towards Krautrock and the like.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Dream Theater are probably not right wing but they are proper shite

(I do like prog though. And there are plenty of exceptions to the 'prog is right wing' thing anyway - Peter Gabriel, Robert Wyatt, Henry Cow and that lot...)

bgmnts

Metropolis Part 2 is one of my favourite albums ever.

itsfredtitmus

DT are pure shite you're right but they're a bit of (and my only) guilty pleasure

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 19, 2017, 10:46:43 AM
I meant a 14 year old wearing a t-shirt of a band from decades ago has always been a thing, and usually meant you were cool. I didn't realise you meant it was about you wearing whatever your parents were into. Marmalade were good anyway.

Talking of that sort of stuff, when I was a teenager there was a hardcore punk couple living near me. Leather, studs, dyed hair, piercings, the lot. They had a son who was about eight and they dressed him in exactly the same way, minus the facial piercings, although I think he did have his ears done. Again, at the time I thought he looked pretty cool, but for him to really rebel he'd have to had become a mod as a teenager. Or just to wear a suit anyway. I would have found that really amusing.

gilbertharding

My Mum doesn't really like music. My Dad likes classical. It turns out, though, that he went to the Cavern Club when he was working in Liverpool just after university - in about '62 - but as far as he was concerned it was a trad (I guess) jazz club, and he found it "too loud."

Luckily I have a big sister who liked Bowie, Zep, Stones, Beatles and *cough* 10cc. And an uncle who liked Elvis, Buddy, and Neil Young.

Jockice

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 20, 2017, 10:47:02 AM
My Mum doesn't really like music. My Dad likes classical. It turns out, though, that he went to the Cavern Club when he was working in Liverpool just after university - in about '62 - but as far as he was concerned it was a trad (I guess) jazz club, and he found it "too loud."

That's like the former workmate of mine who had no interest whatsoever in modern music (and once asked me who Buzzcocks were when I mentioned them in a review) but it turned out had seen the Sex Pistols live in 1976 when he was 17. I genuinely can't imagine anyone less likely to attend a punk concert. Lovely bloke but astonishingly square.

Brundle-Fly

My folks are in their eighties, so

Dad: Jazz: The Ted Heath Band (not that Ted Heath), Stan Kenton, Glenn Miller, generally big band stuff.
        Classical: Sibelius, Ravel, Debussy, Vaughan Willimas, Britten, Holst, generally descriptive romantic stuff

Mum: Matt Monroe, Jack Jones, Doris Day, Jackie Trent, all the Rat Pack lot, Nat King Cole, and loads of Reader's Digest Easy Listening collections,

The most modern they got when I was growing up was a bit of disco and Philly soul: Van McCoy, The Stylistics, Barry White, Gladys Knight And The Pips, Commodores, Heatwave.

All their tastes had a profound effect on mine. I do like a good melody.

SteveDave

My mum's two favourite singers when I was growing up were Whitney Houston and Marti Pellow. How I laughed when it was revealed they were massive drug people.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 20, 2017, 10:47:02 AM

Luckily I have a big sister who liked Bowie, Zep, Stones, Beatles and *cough* 10cc. And an uncle who liked Elvis, Buddy, and Neil Young.
hope you're not implying theres nowt wrong with 10cc

canadagoose

Dad: he likes quite a few things but I'd say his favourite things were '70s progressive rock, acoustic guitar music and similar genres. Doesn't like punk, electronic music or most '80s bands. Particularly enjoys The Beatles, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Bruce Springsteen.

Mum: kind of hard to sum up. Likes the Dixie Chicks, Squeeze, My Chemical Romance and Crowded House. I think she just likes what she likes rather than preferring certain genres.

Oddly enough, neither of my parents like Depeche Mode and The Cure, two of my favourites.