Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'New' Brexit Thread 2 - The Empire Strikes Back

Started by Paul Calf, November 18, 2017, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Old Brexit thread approaching 100 pages:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,56998.0.html

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 18, 2017, 02:27:52 PM
The best solution to Brexit is to surely just say we've done it but not actually do it. No-one would notice.

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 18, 2017, 02:56:03 PM
Yep. Just slap a Union Jack label on everything, paint all the passports blue, make shitloads of banoffee pie out of all the straight bananas, job's a good 'un.
Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2017, 03:09:03 PM
Yeah.  I could even live gracefully with the smug, see-how-great-it-all-is?, reactions of all the raving fucking lunatics out there.  I'd even say sorry I ever doubted them. 

It would be a tiny price to pay.
Quote from: bgmnts on November 18, 2017, 03:54:45 PM
I'd rather the opposite to be fair.

Although lets be fair, for most of the people who are genuinely into Brexit, any shitty economic effects are less likely to hit them, i'd imagine.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 18, 2017, 02:30:25 PM
There's two reasons for this. One is that, yeah, most people who voted for it don't know what they actually want. The other is that the Brexit elite know that what they actually want is (currently) politically unpalatable to anyone, so have to continue to mask their real intentions.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2017, 02:21:19 PM
Yes.  And I think that with many brexit-voters being, as was said upthread, not particularly concerned with any detail whatsoever, just intent on repeating the out means out mantra because thinking about the reality of it all may be beyond their compass (I think it's beyond most peoples') and because, if you start examining reality, it doesn't line up smoothly with the heroic unstoppable British (English) lion fantasy they're clutching so desperately.

It's a bit like the story we went through with TFM (only vastly more serious).  He believed as an article of faith that Corbyn was unelectable.  No matter what argument was placed before him, he could not consider that he might be wrong.  He was wrong but has run away, rather than live with the reality.  Trouble is, these mad brexiters won't be able to run away, they're going to have to live, along with everyone else, in the ruins they have created.
Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2017, 04:06:07 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that, the people who'll be hit hardest won't be those who have to do a bit more paperwork to visit their French holiday home, they'll be people in small businesses, people on lower incomes, people in debt, people at the bottom, they're always the ones that get thrown to the sharks first.

And, probably, the hardest hit of all, of course, people like me, who've made our lives in other parts of the EU or people from the EU, who've made their lives in the UK.  But none of us voted out.  We'll be paying though.  Millions of us.

Paul Calf

Noel weighs in:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/16/noel-gallagher-tells-remainers-f-ing-get-brexit/amp/

Does he really think he's going to change anyone's mind? Telegraph pretty desperate here, I think.

Dex Sawash

I think this Brexit may not be such a great thing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 18, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Noel weighs in:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/16/noel-gallagher-tells-remainers-f-ing-get-brexit/amp/

Does he really think he's going to change anyone's mind? Telegraph pretty desperate here, I think.

Actually Noel, people who are cushioned to fuck by wealth and can live anywhere in the world they want should 'fucking get over Brexit' in the sense they should mind their own business.

Get it riiiiiieeeeeiiieegght, as you would sing.

Although I do love the idea that him putting up with Remoaners equates to far more suffering than will be caused by Brexit.

Dr Rock

Noel Gallagher reckons I'm a fascist. Well I reckon he's an ugly has-been tit.

Paul Calf

"But it's happened now. It was a legal vote. Fu c k i n g get it done and let's move on."

Take out the fuck-bomb, and that could be pretty much any pro-Brexit politician. Including the Home Secretary.

bgmnts

Quote"You know what I mean? It was put to the people as a vote, the people voted."

QuoteGallagher said he sided with Remain during the election, but didn't vote.

Bellend.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2017, 04:06:07 PMAnd, probably, the hardest hit of all, of course, people like me, who've made our lives in other parts of the EU or people from the EU, who've made their lives in the UK.  But none of us voted out.  We'll be paying though.  Millions of us.

Hmm, but have you considered the fact that the vote was actually a grievous blow to the banksters and the globalists and that Tony Benn would have voted Leave?

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 18, 2017, 05:02:25 PM
"But it's happened now. It was a legal vote. Fu c k i n g get it done and let's move on."

Take out the fuck-bomb, and that could be pretty much any pro-Brexit politician. Including the Home Secretary.

I do like the idea of getting this thing over with and moving on.  Like once we've left the EU it'll be fine.

Animals can't feel pain or emotions, according to the sociopaths in government:
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/government-votes-animals-cant-feel-pain-emotions/17/11/

I'm presuming that quite soon we'll be inheriting animal welfare and industrial farming standards from the US, so this would be necessary for that.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 18, 2017, 05:02:25 PM
"But it's happened now. It was a legal vote.

An advisory vote, not legally binding. Now fuck off and don't come back until you've written a good song again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 18, 2017, 05:30:48 PM
An advisory vote, not legally binding. Now fuck off and don't come back until you've written a good song again.

Again??

You called him a "has-been" earlier too, which rang alarm bells for me.  He is a never-been cunt.

Dr Rock

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 18, 2017, 05:33:58 PM
I like the first three singles.

Yeah probably I did in the 90s too, but that doesn't mean they're any good.  Listen to them again and fix yourself please sir.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 18, 2017, 05:30:48 PM

Sorry to disillusion you, but since my 1987 teen-angst ridden epic "No More Heart", I've been pretty much dry on the songwriting front.  :)

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2017, 05:32:18 PM
Again??

Champagne Supernova was pretty good, Definitely Maybe was a solid album. OK, it was no Stone Roses or Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches but it was at least the equal of Screamadelica.

Noel is a proper cunt though. Can't fault you on that.

MoonDust

Did anyone listen to Radio 4 this morning where they had a Remainer and Leaver in business debating a second vote? Remainer = someone whose last name was Horlic, though she didn't own Horlic. Leaver = owner of Whetherspoons.

Honestly, Whetherspoons man is fucking barmy. All his arguments were shit and he genuinely sounds thick. God knows how he's successfully running a national chain business. Some great quotes from him (paraphrased):

"We could leave the customs union on Monday and we'll be fine."

John Humphries asks how.

"Abolish import tariffs."

Horlics lady points out flatly "well that's not going to happen"

"I reckon it will" was his reply.

Also on being against a second referendum:

"If we have a second referendum - and I don't think we will - and if Remain win - and I don't think they will - then it will be one all for Leave and Remain, so we will have to have another referendum to see who wins."

Errrrrr... democracy doesn't work like that?? The fuck's he on about. If the Democrats win the next US election, is the state going to be like "Well that's one all for the two parties since Trump! This election is void, we need another one so it's best out of three."

Fucking nutter.

Edit: My brain fart remembered the word I was looking for: Tariff.

George Oscar Bluth II

If Brexit is such a great idea why is it that Wetherspoons Man is the only guy who'll speak up in favour?

Him and the probably senile Nigel Lawson.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2017, 05:35:28 PM
Yeah probably I did in the 90s too, but that doesn't mean they're any good.  Listen to them again and fix yourself please sir.

You're right, I never listen to them now. I do listen to other Brit-Pop bands sometimes though.

Dr Rock

Apart from All Around the World, which I still like.

MoonDust

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 18, 2017, 05:49:42 PM
If Brexit is such a great idea why is it that Wetherspoons Man is the only guy who'll speak up in favour?

Him and the probably senile Nigel Lawson.

Again, fuck knows how he's a successful businessman.

Another blinder was - after saying we could abolish tariffs - he said businesses will thrive because things will be cheaper because we'll have well high tariffs for imports.

To which John Humphries, exasperated, was like "But it won't be cheaper for the companies wanting to export to the UK! They'll find business elsewhere!"

And to top it off Wetherspoons man even says Wetherspoons imports loads from the EU! But no, smack high tariffs on everything and it'll be fine. All fine. We can leave the customs union and common market tomorrow and that won't send the markets crashing, not at all.

George Oscar Bluth II

Someone is targeting rebellious female Tory MPs on Facebook. This is the sort of thing that will absolutely not end badly at all. Nope.

Dr Rock

Buelligan

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 18, 2017, 05:25:30 PM...Tony Benn would have voted Leave?

I wonder what Our Lord Jesus Christ would vote or Elizabeth One?  Context though, time, death, everything moves on and context, you see?  Isn't it?

Yep and Noely is a cunt with a small C.  Also thick.

DrGreggles

Dear Brexit voters,

We know that we said that the outcome of the Brexit vote would count, and we've been trying to make it happen. Honestly, we've been really trying.
But it's just not financially viable, and we're not going to put the country further into the shit by going along with something that is bad for the vast majority of the population.
That would make no sense.
It's not our fault that the previous PM didn't look into the possibility of the election not going his way, then fucked off as if were nothing to do with him.
The fact is that no one had prepared for this outcome and no one was aware of what would need to be done to see it through.
In short, we should never have allowed the referendum to happen. At least not until all the bases were covered and everyone knew what they were voting for or against.
We're really sorry. We fucked up.

Lots of love
Teresa May

Just imagine if she had the balls to do that.

Paul Calf

It'd just hasten the now inexorable slide of the Tory party into electoral irrelevance. Of course, they'll be back one day but hopefully we'll have had time to rebuild some of the shattered institutions state before then.

George Oscar Bluth II

Great leaders lead, not follow.

Theresa is a follower to her core.

Buelligan

This article lays out some of the issues surrounding the Irish situation.  It's long but well worth a read if you're interested.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2017/1117/920981-long-read-brexit/

George Oscar Bluth II

Still can't get over the open distain The Sun used to talk about Varadkar yesterday, for having the temerity to defend his country's national interest. Mad stuff.

buttgammon

I take it as a compliment; you know you're doing something right when you incur that amount of ire from The Sun. Watch some nasty elements have a go at the fact that he's gay and has an Indian father, next.

I'm in an interesting position with regards to Irish politics, because Varadkar's party really aren't my thing (they're the more anti-republican right-wing party traditionally, although I imagine he'll be portrayed as some sort of IRA nut in the British tabloids too), but I can't help but feel he's articulating my position on Brexit a lot better than many British politicians.

Dr Rock

The papers with the highest percentage of Brexit voters are trying to maintain falling sales by being as vicious as they can against anyone who dares speak against Brexit. It probably does appeal to a lot of their readers. If the tide slowly turns against Brexit though, their readership might not lap this shit up so much. They would probably do as well attacking the government for making a shambles out of it, as most Brexiters agree they are... but that might intensify later, when it's time to get rid of May.

The Tories don't seem to think the time is right now, let her take as much flak as possible first, and the papers are following suit. Opinion polls (for what they are worth) have already shown that more people are now against Brexit than for. If this continues, and I'm sure it will, at some point those Brexit papers are going to be faced with a tough choice. So they'll probably ignore it and go after one of their other usual targets instead. If there's one thing papers like the Sun can do is completely ignore news they don't like.