Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'New' Brexit Thread 2 - The Empire Strikes Back

Started by Paul Calf, November 18, 2017, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

DrGreggles

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 20, 2018, 04:48:42 AM
The problem is that you are possibly overestimating the basic decency of the English electorate. The voted to leave because of xenophobia, plain and simple. They know that it will be an economic clusterfuck but that is a price they are willing to pay to be rid of the foreigns. If you rerun the vote you would get much the same result. English exceptionalism runs deep at the core of the country and the people.

That's a massive generalisation and certainly didn't apply with the Leave voters I know. Any evidence for what you say?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2018, 09:47:10 AM
That's a massive generalisation and certainly didn't apply with the Leave voters I know. Any evidence for what you say?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-latest-news-leave-eu-immigration-main-reason-european-union-survey-a7811651.html

Brexit: People voted to leave EU because they feared immigration, major survey finds

It states that for the most part, only items associated with people's sense of national identity and cultural outlook were significantly associated with vote choice

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 20, 2018, 06:08:47 AM
In much the same way as Scottish exceptionlism runs deep in the Sindie movement?

How do you explain Wales' catastrophically self-sabotaging Brexit majority? Is that English exceptionalism?

Scottish culture can be accused of many things for sure but I don't think over-estimating the global importance of the country is one of them. The 'scottish cringe' of chronic embarassment at our own culture is very strong in many people and the scottish media.

Fair point on Wales.

Fambo Number Mive

Probably not surprising but the government will not change its position over leaving the customs union: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43860453

Paul Calf

Pig-headed fucking idiocy. These cunts should be mounted on hurdles and dragged through Westminster.

DrGreggles

The previous votes have been lost by a 100+ majority.
Is this not just them not wanting to be seen to make a u-turn, while also knowing full well that it won't pass a vote in the Commons?
Even the Tories can't be that fucking dim, surely!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-could-quit-next-month-12411093

It's more that the Brexiteers could then launch a challenge to Theresa May if she backs out of it.

Full Brexit is much more likely if the next leader is from the ERG, yet conversely this makes it easier for Labour tonwin the next election. High stakes, tense times.

Zetetic

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 20, 2018, 06:08:47 AM
In much the same way as Scottish exceptionlism runs deep in the Sindie movement?

How do you explain Wales' catastrophically self-sabotaging Brexit majority? Is that English exceptionalism?
If you want "British exceptionalism", with much of Welsh identity over the last couple of centuries being tied up with Britishness. (An interesting contrast to various imperial possessions in Europe during the Age of Nationalism.)

But British identity is hard to disentangle from English identity much of the time for much of England.

Zetetic

But, sure, other factors are obviously relevant - "exceptionalism" is an enabling belief for moderately informed Harder leavers.

jobotic

I love your assumption that thick racist is the default for working class people, and therefore any criticism of racist stupidity is an attack on the working class. Who you pretend to defend. You thick Brendan O'Neill cunt.

you fucking bellend, read the deliberate choice of wording and spelling again then fuck off

and when you get there, fuck off a bit more

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on April 23, 2018, 08:19:08 PM
you fucking bellend, read the deliberate choice of wording and spelling again then fuck off

Have you ever collected the smegma from peeling back your foreskin?

Serious question

jobotic

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on April 23, 2018, 08:19:08 PM

fucking hell, triggered.

Don't worry. Brexit soon, then you can start sacking people. Cunt.

Quote from: jobotic on April 23, 2018, 08:40:29 PM
fucking hell, triggered.

Don't worry. Brexit soon, then you can start sacking people. Cunt.

The snobby, metropolitan, middle class, modern Labour party stereotype is a little too accurate for comfort, isn't it

And always just bubbling under the surface, as this page nicely demonstrates

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2018, 08:38:03 PM
Have you ever collected the smegma from peeling back your foreskin?

Serious question

can you even peel yours back baldy?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on April 23, 2018, 08:46:26 PM
metropolitan, middle class, modern

I know I should ignore you, but explain what is wrong with being any of those things?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on April 23, 2018, 08:47:30 PM
can you even peel yours back baldy?

Even dodges questions when it's about foreskins.

Come on, how much smegma have you harvested over the last quarter?

Johnny Yesno

What is point, poorly? You come here to have some fun winding people up and end up a foaming mess yourself. To do the job properly, you're supposed to maintain some kind of arch composure. Instead you cut a laughable figure whose witterings no one cares about. Give it up, mate.

jobotic

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on April 23, 2018, 08:46:26 PM
The snobby, metropolitan, middle class, modern Labour party stereotype is a little too accurate for comfort, isn't it

And always just bubbling under the surface, as this page nicely demonstrates

Is it really? Like you'd fucking know. Like you're not middle class yourself Mr Salt-of-the-Earth. "I employ lots of people and they're late sometimes. Let me sack them Mr Rees-Mogg".

Do you know what 'stereotype' means by the way?

Cunt.

Replies From View

Has he twigged that he is too thick for CaB yet?  I advised him months ago that he was out of his depth here, but after a little wobble about that he ploughed on regardless.

Uncle TechTip

He's there to move on debate, from discussion of the precariousness of the government's position.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 23, 2018, 08:51:40 PM
I know I should ignore you, but explain what is wrong with being any of those things?

You deliberately missed off Snobby and Labour, which provided all the context you needed, and they say I'm thick lol

Now a questions for you : what's wrong with being old?

Quote from: Replies From View on April 23, 2018, 09:22:28 PM
Has he twigged that he is too thick for CaB yet?  I advised him months ago that he was out of his depth here, but after a little wobble about that he ploughed on regardless.

I think it was when I turned the tables on the thick accusations that you put me on ignore, wasn't it?

Nice job turning this personal again guys, as soon as the criticism gets a bit too close to the mark for you that's your favourite response

Paul Calf

You're a troll. A relentless stream of invective is precisely your dessert. If you don't like it, lump it or fuck off.