Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'New' Brexit Thread 2 - The Empire Strikes Back

Started by Paul Calf, November 18, 2017, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

By get our country back what they meant was "Reduce the UK to being England and Wales just to get out of a trading bloc"

That was it, right? I remember all the banners saying that and everything.

This is why, privately anyway, it's entirely justified to call leavers stupid.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteBy get our country back what they meant was "Reduce the UK to being England and Wales just to get out of a trading bloc"

That was it, right? I remember all the banners saying that and everything.

This is why, privately anyway, it's entirely justified to call leavers stupid.   

oh come come now old chap don't be such a bad egg about it

Paul Calf

Oh, look. Mr. Simnock's arrived. I can't wait for the positive, spirited defence of Brexit we're going to get now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I appreciate why Mr Simnock wanted to leave, unfortunately even left wingers don't escape my statement above.

The lofty notions of left wing Brexit will be memeingless when confronted with the reality of the right wing one.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteOh, look. Mr. Simnock's arrived. I can't wait for the positive, spirited defence of Brexit we're going to get now.

i think that um.. er well.... that um... brexit right, yeah thats it brexit will be..right er.....yeah great

Paul Calf

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 16, 2018, 01:59:21 PM
i think that um.. er well.... that um... brexit right, yeah thats it brexit will be..right er.....yeah great

:) that's the spirit.

Neville Chamberlain

C'mon, Mr_Simnock, I'm a remainer and even I could do better than that ;-)

Replies From View

Paul Calf

king_tubby

https://www.ft.com/content/17fbad8c-59d8-11e8-b8b2-d6ceb45fa9d0

Paywalled, but here is the relevant bit:

QuoteThe whole of the UK will remain tied to a customs union with the EU after 2021 until an alternative to having a hard border in Ireland can be found, Theresa May has conceded.

The prime minister agreed the plan on Tuesday with her cabinet ministers, including Boris Johnson, one of the leaders of the Brexit campaign, according to government officials.

Replies From View

Heh, basically saying the next government can deal with it if they can be arsed with the Irish border.

Assuming the DUP won't be in coalition after 2021, will that issue even need to be factored in anymore?  It'll be brushed under the carpet and the next government will do what it wants.

Paul Calf

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Just sniggering at the idea of paywalled news in this day and age...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh no, my precious centrist content is obscured...

Now I can't read what Matthew Syed thinks doesn't look good for Corbyn

Paul Calf

The FT's paywall works because the information they carry has financial value to people willing to pay for it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 19, 2018, 09:11:02 AM
A system of...headslapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9TVIo_Y6A&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=Et804XRd15ztlU6J-6

Quote from: Tom J  2 days ago/quote]
You hear that? Listen closely. That's the sound of you, the british people, being taken for a ride. Because you're a bunch of sweaty masses who'll be happy to shout ''take back control'' as long as someone else is in charge and you don't have to think too hard.

Oof! Don't sugar the pill, Tom.

He's right, though. I am a sweaty mass.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 19, 2018, 12:24:17 PM
The FT's paywall works because the information they carry has financial value to people willing to pay for it.

"Shares in Gordon's incontinence pants down half a point"

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 19, 2018, 12:24:17 PM

Yeah, it costs them money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Times outriding today with a story about an autumn general election due to the Brexit deadlock.

Surely that's bollocks - if the Tories can't work out what their own Brexit policy is, then airing that dispute in public via a general election will expose those irreconcilable divides and is about the worst thing possible for them.

The only possible course of action that makes sense from their existential perspective is for May to resign as PM.

Bhazor

Because the last election went so well for them.

Replies From View

Maybe they don't want to be in government for the time being.  Rather hand the shit cake to Labour to fuck themselves with, letting the Tories back in five years from now.

olliebean

They won't call an election if they can avoid it, as long as they think there's any chance at all of a Corbyn government. The prospect of that terrifies them. May only called the last one because she was convinced she'd walk it.

If Corbyn were to go, and be replaced by a more Blairite-style leader, I imagine there'd be an election in a heartbeat. Losing won't scare them so much if they know the winner isn't going to fuck over their neolib agenda.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This has now spread to many other outlets.

However, reading the article more closely suggests either that May will stake her Premiership on it (seems hugely unlikely) or resign, meaning the election will be the one called after a new leader takes power.

Labour must market themselves as the only party unified enough -and tha the Tories can't govern. Right now nothing is happening except Brexit and the Tories can't even get that done.

Dr Rock

She won't resign because of her genuine religiousness, God has guided her glorious destiny all the way and while it's going a little wrong right now, it's probably a trial before all kneel before her. She'll start shooting innocent people before her cold dead hands let loose their grip on power.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2018, 03:42:27 PM
Right now nothing is happening except Brexit

I wish that were true.  The Tories are fucking up lots of additional things "beneath the hood", as it were.

Edit:  You mean that Labour need to communicate that message, of course.  Misread your post at first.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 20, 2018, 03:45:40 PM
She won't resign because of her genuine religiousness, God has guided her glorious destiny all the way and while it's going a little wrong right now, it's probably a trial before all kneel before her. She'll start shooting innocent people before her cold dead hands let loose their grip on power.

If that's true then it condemns the Tories to civil war and probable election defeat. Bring it on.

Bhazor

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-divorce-bill-uk-pay-eu-trade-deal-talks-david-davis-suella-braverman-a8364841.html

QuoteBritain will be legally bound to pay its £39bn Brexit divorce bill before the details of a future EU trade deal are agreed, a minister has admitted.

MPs will be asked to authorise the payment when they vote on the withdrawal deal in the autumn, Suella Braverman said – but there will be no trade treaty until after the UK leaves the EU next year.

bgmnts