Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'New' Brexit Thread 2 - The Empire Strikes Back

Started by Paul Calf, November 18, 2017, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 19, 2017, 11:29:20 AM
Opinion polls (for what they are worth) have already shown that more people are now against Brexit than for.

pancreas

That second graph looks like it's been zoomed in too far.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Brexit voters are thickos/only read the Sun/are Tories/dog whistle racism/Ken Clarke's quite reasonable actually isn't he? For a Tory/does anyone know a block script so I can get rid of all these conflicting views?

I suppose the fact we're now doing this tedious bollocks from within a heavily fortified Arctic base is something. At least there's a strong possibility some people will freeze to death. And at least one person is definitely getting frozen in carbonite - odds on the sort of political relic who could have passed for a fossil already.

Johnny Yesno

brat-sampson

If you say things in a list like that it makes them true. Or untrue. Or something. It's like a point, see?

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 19, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Brexit voters are thickos/only read the Sun/are Tories/dog whistle racism/Ken Clarke's quite reasonable actually isn't he? For a Tory/does anyone know a block script so I can get rid of all these conflicting views?

You're aware of course that on a wider scale it's Brexit supporters who are trying to smash dissenting opinion (as evidenced by my post immediately above this one).  What you're doing, for whatever reason, is visiting a tiny enclave of internet opinion where some people who don't happen to agree with the mainstream opinion can talk amongst themselves, and you're having a self-pitying tantrum about us not agreeing with the majority.  Feeding the narrative that Leavers are being marginalised or whatever crap.

If you're not doing this then make your points clearer, by the way.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 19, 2017, 11:50:10 AM

1. NOBODY has ever said all Brexiters are Tories or even the majority.
2. You are never going to convince anyone that most Brexiters - but not all - are thick xenophobes.
3. By all means find a block script and block everyone in this thread so you don't feel compelled to respond with your strawman bollocks time and time again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 19, 2017, 01:09:18 PM
By all means find a block script and block everyone in this thread so you don't feel compelled to respond with your strawman bollocks time and time again.

But then what would he do with himself??

George Oscar Bluth II

If you're paying attention and are still supporting Brexit you very much are a thicko, yes.

MoonDust

Didn't think it was deserving of its own thread, but it can be related to Brexit I guess, considering these are the people May will be negotiating with, but, coalition talks in Germany have collapsed, with the liberal, free-market FDP party saying they don't trust Merkel's bunch at all. So Merkel is now going to meet the President of Germany over what to do next.

She apparently has two choices: snap election (only the President has the power to call that), or a minority government with the Greens is being floated around, but I imagine the Greens and CDU don't have much in common at all. Could be difficult.

MoonDust

poo

Think Brexit is gonna be OK now. Changed my mind.

DrGreggles

Saw this phone-in topic on one of the news channels this morning:
'Should the UK pay the EU what it owes?'

Yes. Yes, it should.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: MoonDust on November 20, 2017, 09:46:25 AM
Didn't think it was deserving of its own thread, but it can be related to Brexit I guess, considering these are the people May will be negotiating with, but, coalition talks in Germany have collapsed, with the liberal, free-market FDP party saying they don't trust Merkel's bunch at all. So Merkel is now going to meet the President of Germany over what to do next.

She apparently has two choices: snap election (only the President has the power to call that), or a minority government with the Greens is being floated around, but I imagine the Greens and CDU don't have much in common at all. Could be difficult.

Weird to think that Alternative for Deutschland would be natural coalition partners in a British world where the right wing party are still nominally anti-immigration. Shows just how much more advanced a multi-party democracy is that it allows parties to adopt stronger positions up front and compromise on them later rather than the UK where the compromise happens in advance then they get in power and you discover they weren't really compromising at all.

Zetetic

Or where voters are routinely driven to compromise by FPTP.

Zetetic

Quote from: MoonDust on November 20, 2017, 09:46:25 AM
I imagine the Greens and CDU don't have much in common at all. Could be difficult.
Green, CDU and FDP coalitions exist at state-level and you might imagine (optimistically perhaps) that the strangest bed fellows would be the Greens and FDP over economic issues. (Nationally though the Greens are softer than they used to be in such issues, I believe.)

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAmsterdam has won a vote to host the European Medicines Agency (EMA) which will relocate from London after the UK leaves the European Union.

The UK is losing both the EMA and the European Banking Authority (EBA) which employ around 1,000 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42050742

1,000 jobs gone from the UK because of Brexit, 1,000 less people in London to buy items from the service industry, use public transport and pay tax here.

Zetetic

In fairness, that's not the problem with the EMA and EBA moving - we'll have to reinvent those and employ almost as many people ourselves in the process. (That's the problem.)

George Oscar Bluth II

Amount of work done on creating a UK medicines agency: please tell me the answer is "some". Please.

George Oscar Bluth II

So the EU divorce bill, whatever it is, is going to be the most unpopular thing done by a British government ever, isn't it?

Leavers will hate us having to pay money to get out of something we should never have been part of, deeply resent the EU for making us spend it when we could have spent it on the NHS and upset that the promise of more money for public services is being very obviously broken before we've even left.

Remainers will hate us having to pay money to get out of something we shouldn't be leaving, deeply resent the Brexiteers for making us spend it when we could have spent it on the NHS and upset that the obvious lie of more money for public services is being very obviously disproved before we've even left.

Is it possible that as soon as the figure is known...the polls will start moving in favour of not going?

Zetetic

It's been known as close as makes no difference for the last year at the least, and it won't be a meaningful figure in itself to anyone.

Zetetic

We're more than half-way between the referendum and the end of the 2-year Article 50 period now - 500 days either side, very approximately.

Zetetic

Are there any good sources discussing the current work on the 'Pillar' of Social Rights in the EU (Here's a booklet - it's not terribly exciting, although it hints at a way forward on minimum wages and minimum incomes).

There are, apparently a "second round of discussions with trade unions and employers' organisations at the EU level, on how to support access to social protection for all people in employment and in self-employment" currently in progress.

Glyn

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 20, 2017, 06:11:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42050742

1,000 jobs gone from the UK because of Brexit, 1,000 less people in London to buy items from the service industry, use public transport and pay tax here.
Cant you read mate , it says they're European jobs, heres a photo of them all leaving tonight

Thank christ I read the papers otherwise you'd suspect we were once respected and priviliged in this EU thingee. Imagine wanting to lead a continent's decision making when we could be doing um...

Dr Rock

Quote from: Zetetic on November 20, 2017, 07:23:29 PM
It's been known as close as makes no difference for the last year at the least, and it won't be a meaningful figure in itself to anyone.

I'll post it again. I think the shift here is not 'close as makes no difference'. It's gone from a majority in favour of Brexit to a majority against - a very important change!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Glyn on November 20, 2017, 07:37:37 PM
Imagine wanting to lead a continent's decision making when we could be doing um...

...Morris dancing!

Zetetic

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 20, 2017, 07:55:46 PM
I'll post it again. I think the shift here is not 'close as makes no difference'.
'Close as makes no difference' was in reference to estimates of the living bill. We were always likely to be within EUR 20 billion of EUR 70 billion.

QuoteIt's gone from a majority in favour of Brexit to a majority against - a very important change!
No, it's an irrelevant change unless you believe that 2 or 3% is what determines a meaningful mandate here, which I don't think anyone does including those who were spouting it favour of Leave.

Edit: And if they do then they're witless. It's not a change that will better enable any government to make a convincing appeal that we should abandon the whole thing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on November 20, 2017, 08:08:32 PM
No, it's an irrelevant change unless you believe that 2 or 3% is what determines a meaningful mandate here, which I don't think anyone does including those who were spouting it favour of Leave.

That has to mean something in itself, though, right?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Zetetic on November 20, 2017, 08:08:32 PM

I don't think most people would consider a change from the majority being in favour or Brexit to the majority being against 'irrelevant'.