Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:12:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Started by Consignia, November 20, 2017, 08:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Bazooka

I had the PSP game and loved it, I have 3/chronicles?? on the PS3 but never got around to play it.

Consignia

Whilst I'm pretty chuffed it's looking like a proper sequel to the first one, I'm little concerned how much story there is at first reveal. Surely the gameplay comes first, and they fit story around it. We'll see how it turns out...

Quote from: Bazooka on November 20, 2017, 09:23:55 AM
I had the PSP game and loved it, I have 3/chronicles?? on the PS3 but never got around to play it.

3 was a PSP exclusive, and not localised. But it was quite good, a real improvement over the first PSP game, despite reusing quite a lot of the original. The first game overall though, for PS3 and re-released on PS4 and PC, is an absolute masterpiece. It's disappointing it's taken this long to revive the original style.

Consignia

There's an extremely generous demo of this on the Switch now. 3 story chapters, 2 skirmishes and 1 bonus skirmish which gives a total 4 maps to play on and a fair crack of all the new mechanics. It also plays pretty well on the Switch, which makes me glad I waited for this version.

It does feel a lot like an expansion pack for VC1, but it's been so long since there's been more in this style that it's a welcome return.

Can't wait to pick up the full version.

brat-sampson

Mmph, damn, you're right, this is one of the most generous demos I've seen. There's a few hours of content here and it does a great job of getting you invested in the style and the world. Not like I needed another game to lust for in the next few months but this feels reallllly nice, and it's been so long since the last good one.

Bhazor

So its out now. Anyone playing it?

Consignia

Quote from: Bhazor on September 25, 2018, 10:06:21 PM
So its out now. Anyone playing it?

Yes. I'm redoing the demo parts right now, so my thoughts from above have yet to change.

Consignia

A few missions into it, and while I really am enjoying more VC, it's just an expansion pack. It's to VC1 what VC3 was to VC2. You can tell it hand a relatively short development cycle.

The nice thing is you can't really scout rush missions any more, since there's so many things that that are effective against scouts. But the grenadier class so over powered as far into the game as I am. A couple of grenadiers and an engineer, and you can clear half the map bar tanks in a turn.

I really would like to have seen things mixed up more, perhaps take more ideas from the PSP games, but it's undeniable it's great to pick up a proper VC game again.