Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2018 is the year of Lawrence

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 20, 2017, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2018, 11:22:24 AM
Odd that there are over 2000 people so interested in seeing this.

and not one of them has made it available online.

wosl

I passed on the DVD at the time because someone on here - HolyZJ? - said it had been earmarked for a future second issue, and would likely come with all the usual sorts of extras that Lawrence had insisted were left off the initial pressing.  That was a couple of years back though, and I'm starting to wish I'd gone for one of the first run (especially when I look at my recently shelled-out for set of Felt boxed sets - glossy coffrets, promising so much, thinly filled with a single disc and a scatter of pointless detritus). 

itsfredtitmus

if someone has it they should rip it and upload it somewhere

Neomod

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2018, 11:22:24 AM
One recently went for £200.

The same amount he would have got for that Felt guitar he attempts to flog. Just think how much Lawrence would get if he stuck it on ebay.

holyzombiejesus

Paul Kelly's got it now and has told Lawrence he can play it whenever he wants to, according to one of the LoB Q&As I went to.

wosl

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 28, 2018, 03:29:03 PMPaul Kelly's got it now and has told Lawrence he can play it whenever he wants to

The guitar, or a LoB DVD?

johnfuego

Bought Ignite, it's packaged like a cheap bootleg, with a plastic inlay. Sounds ok, but for the price, a bit shambolic. I won't be bothering with the rest, which is a shame.

I often see him up at a cafe near the Barbican, sat in the window. He gives off a ghostly vibe.

holyzombiejesus

Deebank speaks! And makes a bit of a twat of himself.

https://www.outsideleft.com/main.php?updateID=1528

How bizarre. Everything about this is so odd. From the weird photo of him, to the strange almost pidgin English in the interview, to Maurice's mental pronouncements. Who'd have thought that Lawrence would only be the second strangest person in Felt?

PaulTMA

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 04, 2018, 06:28:39 PM

How bizarre. Everything about this is so odd. From the weird photo of him, to the strange almost pidgin English in the interview, to Maurice's mental pronouncements. Who'd have thought that Lawrence would only be the second strangest person in Felt?

It's very odd indeed - his middle name is 'eclectic', lol.

wosl

Oh Jesus.  You know what this means, don't you. 

Edit: removal of something uncalled for

newbridge

I don't think he made a twat of himself really, just seems like a strange person. I imagine you have to be fairly autistic to declare yourself autistic in an interview with the press.

Despite Felt being one of my all-time favorite bands, I fully believe that Lawrence is a raging asshole and I'm not surprised that Deebank was the guiding musical force behind all of the early albums. Though I like the post-Deebank albums as well. (Never had much time for Denim or GKM, sorry to offend anyone on here)

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: newbridge on March 04, 2018, 07:12:41 PM
I don't think he made a twat of himself really, just seems like a strange person. I imagine you have to be fairly autistic to declare yourself autistic in an interview with the press.

Fair enough. Although, blaming Felt's lack of mainstream success on Lawrence's voice and stating that they were equally involved with the band when Lawrence had already released Index seems a bit off. Don't think Nigel Silver will be making any more appearances on the Felt forum...

newbridge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 04, 2018, 07:23:25 PM
Fair enough. Although, blaming Felt's lack of mainstream success on Lawrence's voice and stating that they were equally involved with the band when Lawrence had already released Index seems a bit off. Don't think Nigel Silver will be making any more appearances on the Felt forum...

As much as I have a certain appreciation for "Index," it is the sound of man who has absolutely no idea how to play an instrument. Didn't Lawrence admit as much himself in his interview on the previous page?

PaulTMA

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 04, 2018, 07:23:25 PM

So is Nigel Silver actually Deebank?  Crumbs.  Going through the forum now but never really looked that closely before.  Sounds like a bit of a nutpipe whoever it is.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: newbridge on March 04, 2018, 07:32:11 PM
As much as I have a certain appreciation for "Index," it is the sound of man who has absolutely no idea how to play an instrument. Didn't Lawrence admit as much himself in his interview on the previous page?

Yeah, but that's irrelevant really. Deebank states that he was as much a part of Felt as Lawrence ("as the co-founder", "I had been led to believe that I was one of two leaders starting a project") yet history seems to disprove this what with Lawrence single handedly creating the first single before Deebank ever got involved. What's all that stuff about "even the albums that were made after I left have my fingerprints all over them" too? Love his guitaring but the guy seems to be a bit of a wanker. Why do you think Lawrence is such a dick, by the way?

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 04, 2018, 07:49:59 PM
So is Nigel Silver actually Deebank?  Crumbs.  Going through the forum now but never really looked that closely before.  Sounds like a bit of a nutpipe whoever it is.

Ha ha! No idea about the Silver stuff - I was just guessing - but they have a strikingly similar writing style.

newbridge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 04, 2018, 08:08:58 PM
Yeah, but that's irrelevant really. Deebank states that he was as much a part of Felt as Lawrence ("as the co-founder", "I had been led to believe that I was one of two leaders starting a project") yet history seems to disprove this what with Lawrence single handedly creating the first single before Deebank ever got involved. What's all that stuff about "even the albums that were made after I left have my fingerprints all over them" too? Love his guitaring but the guy seems to be a bit of a wanker. Why do you think Lawrence is such a dick, by the way?

Yeah Lawrence already had the name and the idea of forming a band, but it's undeniable that he needed Deebank's musical abilities to turn it into a proper band. He openly acknowledged as much in his own interview, so I don't see any reason to doubt Deebank's account that he thought he was being brought in as one of the two leaders of the band. I don't think a band actually existed before Deebank.

And really Deebank's guitar style was what made Felt stand out in the early 1980s, and although (in my opinion) they continued to put out great albums with Martin Duffy, the band's style (now with organ rather than a second guitar) was clearly similar to what had come before. I'm not sure if that's what Deebank meant or if there was something more specific.

PaulTMA

wosl

PaulTMA

Neomod

Didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread but Lawrence was on Soho radio in Feb talking about Felt's career, the 1st five re-issues and Mozart's Mini Mart.

https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/morning-glory-13022018/

PaulTMA

There's a great six page article in this months Q where talks about his desire to be in Emmerdale and the Christian Rock album he's supposedly written.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 15, 2018, 06:48:41 PM
There's a great six page article in this months Q where talks about his desire to be in Emmerdale and the Christian Rock album he's supposedly written.

Ah, cheers for that. It's a great interview. He talks a tiny bit about that Christian Rock LP in Will Hodgkinson's Song Man book.

PaulTMA

I was mainly amazed that I really enjoyed the vast majority of a Q magazine in 2018.  It can't last surely, it'll be Muse and Kasabian next dawn

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 15, 2018, 06:48:41 PM
very 90s mike patton interviewesque

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 17, 2018, 01:01:12 AM
I was mainly amazed that I really enjoyed the vast majority of a Q magazine in 2018.  It can't last surely, it'll be Muse and Kasabian next dawn

I hadn't bought a copy since #1 came out whenever. Wasn't it supposed to be getting shut down a year or two ago?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Neomod on March 15, 2018, 03:02:11 PM
Didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread but Lawrence was on Soho radio in Feb talking about Felt's career, the 1st five re-issues and Mozart's Mini Mart.

https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/morning-glory-13022018/

Thanks! Listened to this last night. It's another great interview. I do hope they do a part 2 whenever the other 5 LPs are reissued.

PaulTMA

Here's another.  Next 5 due out in June, he says.  I really hope the Mozart mini album actually does come out in September like he claims, I'm sure he said the same thing about Mini Mart when the last album was out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/david-eastaugh/12-march-lawrence-from-felt-denim-go-kart-mozart/