Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2018 is the year of Lawrence

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 20, 2017, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I asked the chap in Rough Trade East how the reissued albums were doing and he said they were selling well and they'd had to order in a fresh supply.

holyzombiejesus

Saw them on Saturday night. Lawrence has got an IKEA uniform!

Mark Steels Stockbroker

What's written on his hand?

I know comedians do that as a reminder of their setlist, but with bands the tradition is to write it on big pieces of paper and stick them to the floor so everyone can them.

holyzombiejesus

I think one of the words might be Lawrence but can't be sure. He had loads of bits of paper dotted around the stage including 3 or 4 A4 sheets sellotaped to the mic stand. They also had a couple of cheap looking signs facing the audience, a bit like the 'stickers' on the sleeve of the new LP. The gig was brilliant - I particularly liked his 'you can't beat a bit of Lou Reed' comment after playing Electric Rock & Roll - although the encore was just two songs they'd already played (Donna & the Dopefiends and Relative Poverty). A Black Hood on His Head was really intense. Interesting that it had sold out yet when I saw them in Preston a few years back, it was so poorly attended that it bankrupted the promoter. I also forgot how terrifying and sleazy the bass player looked, like the kind of guy that gangsters would send round to rape your family.

Neomod

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 17, 2018, 10:32:42 AMInteresting that it had sold out yet when I saw them in Preston a few years back, it was so poorly attended that it bankrupted the promoter. I also forgot how terrifying and sleazy the bass player looked, like the kind of guy that gangsters would send round to rape your family.
Was that the show where the support act featured at least one spawn of Stephen and Gillian from New Order? If so, I remember it moved venue from some pub out of the city centre to a nightclub type place. It was announced on Facebook, apparently, but I'm not on it and it was only when I was in the pub and wondered where the gig was taking place that the barman informed me of the switch.

I also remember Lawrence wasn't too well and spent most of the gig blowing his nose into a snotrag stashed in his sleeve.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, that's the one. I can only remember one of the support bands; they were called The Oreohs but soon changed their name to The Orielles and signed to Heavenly. Don't think any of them are related to S&G although two of them are the offspring of some bloke from shit Crewe indie band The Train Set.

Lawrence's 'hanky' was actually a tea towel that had Abject Passive Misery spray painted on it. He made another or washed the snot off as there's a shot of it on the When You're Depressed video (see opening post) at about 1:38. He made exactly the same comment about catching a cold when he comes up North at the Hebden Bridge show on Saturday. Might go to the Manchester gig and see if he goes for the treble.

The Culture Bunker

Was confused for a moment, but a quick Google reveals that there was another support band that night, Hot Vestry, who do/did appear to feature one Matilda Morris. I remembered it because around that time I was briefly in a band with a girl who grew up next door/farm to her. Don't remember anything about them, or the Oreohs, which tells me they weren't very good.