Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Started by Barry Admin, November 21, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I remain a devoted and awestruck devotee of perhaps the greatest turn-based strategy series of all time.

Shay, and anyone else on Xbox, XCOM 2 is 15 quid in the Black Friday sale, and Enemy Within on the 360 is back on sale, presumably for like 3 quid or something. It's time.

XCOM2 and WotC don't even run brilliantly on the original XBone, its slightly janky in places, but it doesn't matter. I'm just totally in awe of the story-telling and the depth to the gameplay mechanics. You really have to think through each and every move, often weighing up the risks, and it all just bangs. 

Enemy Within would be a great place to start.

I just love how they keep adding in new scenarios and mechanics that only enrich the entire experience.

It's always endlessly rewarding to set up a meticulously planned killzone and see it pay off. Love these games, love the shit out of them.

Neomod

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 21, 2017, 08:04:19 PM
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

and Enemy Within on the 360 is back on sale, presumably for like 3 quid or something. It's time.

£5.99 h'actually. I got it.

I also got The Bureau as it was only £1.99.

Last time I played something like this was Lazer Squad on the Amiga. Is the learning curve steep?

Thursday

Yeah War of the Chosen's been one of my favourites of the year. It can get ridiculously hard, but the Chosen and all the new mechanics add so much (does get a bit repetitive though.) It's a bit of a different tone for the series, but the opening story sections are so much fun. Still need to finish it as well.

Barry Admin

Let me know how you get on. Not sure about the learning curve, I guess it could be steep, but basically your first playthrough will be about getting the hang of the mechanics and learning to manage resources. I'll dig out the old thread later, as I think I went through a lot in that. The basics though are half shield is half cover, full shield is much better cover. Always end a turn in cover. Red shield means you are in an enemies sights.  Yellow means you or them are flanked, so there will be a bonus to attacking.

Edit:

QuoteIt's a great rule of thumb to always customise your soldiers, so you get more attached to them, and it's even more heart-breaking when they die. Just blast through your first couple of playthroughs on normal, trying out different builds, and try not to look shit up. Try and take a rookie along on easy missions so you build up a decent squad full of back-ups, to cover wounds and deaths.

More tips in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56110.0

Good luck, commander.

(I can't find Thursdays old post where he said these are great games if you get off on people calling you commander.)

Mobius

Do you need XCOM 2 to play War of the Chosen? I had XCOM 2 on PS4 but WotC isn't on PS4 but now I have a computer so can get it on that.

Neomod

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 21, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
More tips in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56110.0

Good luck, commander.

(I can't find Thursdays old post where he said these are great games if you get off on people calling you commander.)

Ooh ta.

Thursday

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 21, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
Let me know how you get on. Not sure about the learning curve, I guess it could be steep, but basically your first playthrough will be about getting the hang of the mechanics and learning to manage resources. I'll dig out the old thread later, as I think I went through a lot in that. The basics though are half shield is half cover, full shield is much better cover. Always end a turn in cover. Red shield means you are in an enemies sights.  Yellow means you or them are flanked, so there will be a bonus to attacking.

Edit:

Good luck, commander.

I think I said that when you tried out streaming it on Twitch.

That was good by the way, I was thinking the other day that I wish the idea of CaB community twitch streams would take off.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobius on November 22, 2017, 03:04:45 AM
Do you need XCOM 2 to play War of the Chosen? I had XCOM 2 on PS4 but WotC isn't on PS4 but now I have a computer so can get it on that.

Not actually sure, sorry!

Just got my Templar, as I said, I love all the new options they've given the player. There are so many possible ways of reacting now, and they handle things like stealth and melee brilliantly. They've come on so much from the (brilliant) last gen relaunch. Great map variety too, my squad is out hunting an Advent Field Commander at the minute, and it's it a total picket fence suburban area. Postitioning my snipers and crazy powerful bastards on rooftops as cars drive by. Love it! I did lose a great ranger last night and decided not to save scrub to get her back. Rest well, Dash Stride, you were a great rusher, and didn't deserve to die in a stinking sewer.

Barry Admin

Also think they've done a great job of speeding up some parts of the game that needed it, even if they initially went overboard in the vanilla X2. For instance, previous games would have you landing on a map, and spending ages moving everyone forward one move at a time. Now I realise that this has largely been done away with by concealment. You can dash right forward until you get close to the target, which means you get to the good stuff a lot sooner. The amount of thought and care put into the mechanics is mind bending.

I can't wait to see what synergies I can pull off with these new dudes. Obviously I'm loving the Reaper as I'm a big sniper fan, and that Vektor rifle is beast.

Bhazor

Xcom 2 remains one of the best sequels ever made. Takes the original and improves on every aspect of it. War of the Chosen on the other hand feels new. I may not like how it changes the world and tone of Xcom 2 but I can't deny its a fantastic thing all its own.

Xcom 3: Terror From The Deep can't come soon enough.