Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Portrayal Of Real People In Film Ever

Started by Steven, November 22, 2017, 05:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koeman

Quote from: Steven on November 22, 2017, 05:29:49 PM

I can't really comment as I haven't seen the film, but they don't look a bit like Nicholas Lyndhurst and Janet Dibley.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 26, 2018, 04:18:17 PM
It was the inclusion of Austin Powers, as his right hand man which threw me.

A wonderful scene.

I remember thinking "what the fuck is going on" but also "my word this is ridiculous and I love it"

Haha. "Got the gist?

Dannyhood91

Hayden Christiansen as Bob Dylan in Factory Girl which is one of the most all round shitty and cuntiest films I've ever seen.

madhair60

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 23, 2017, 03:32:23 PM
I'm shocked this hasn't come up yet.

2004's 'Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story', staring Flex Wheeler (and a shit ton of make up) as the titular character.

Here's everyone's favourite clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUa8yWMgoE

I'm desperate to see the full thing but can't find it online anywhere.

Custard

That film is hilarious. Better than most comedy films

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 22, 2018, 04:21:42 PM
Hayden Christiansen as Bob Dylan in Factory Girl which is one of the most all round shitty and cuntiest films I've ever seen.

He isn't Bob Dylan. He's Dob Bylan. Dylan wanted to sue the production before it was shot, and they had to make a few changes to the character. Well, mostly the name.

Phil_A

How about Domnhall Gleason as Bob Geldof in "When Harvey Met Bob?"

https://vimeo.com/98174488

I think Willem Defoe really nailed Jesus. Not like that. Or that.

George White

Quote from: Phil_A on November 23, 2018, 11:47:01 AM
How about Domnhall Gleason as Bob Geldof in "When Harvey Met Bob?"

https://vimeo.com/98174488
"Billy Connolly" in it is far worse. Played by Irish standup Dave Young, think an even worse Brendan O'Carroll.

McChesney Duntz

Oh, I've got a big one (phoooaaar), at least for a certain breed of American comedy fan - there was a made-for-TV Hugh Hefner biography, Hefner: Unauthorized, made in 1999, wherein the role of legendary, groundbreaking stand-up Lenny Bruce was assayed by... Pauly Shore. I damn near headbutted my TV when I saw that. Hmf.

George White

World Trade Center casts William Mapother, Tom Cruise's cousin as someone who in real life was black. Accidental, apparently.
Cuba (1979) does the opposite, Earl Cameron as Hispanic Cuban Rossell-Leyva, who IRL was a dead ringer for John Bluthal, who weirdly is not in Cuba, despite being a British-based actor known for playing "good ethnics", and a regular in the films of Cuba's director, Dick Lester.

Brian Dennehy as fat ugly serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on January 18, 2018, 08:15:11 AM
I haven't seen it myself but my sister contends that Tom Hardy's portrayal of the Kray twins in Legend is the most ridiculous thing that may have ever happened in filmic history. I can easily believe this to be the case...

Hard to take him seriously, to be honest.

kidsick5000

Seeing as it is somehow up for a Best Picture Oscar, Bohemian Rhapsody has a number of bad portrayals. Worst offender for me is Kenny Everett's. Way too queen-y, far too flamboyant. Makes the playing of the song seem to be purely as a michevious favour rather than a gesture from someone who relished the avant-garde and liked the track.

Then the guy playing Bob Geldof has far too much screen time and reminds me of Stuart Lee's Brad Pitt Irish impression

TrenterPercenter

Not sure if mentioned but the magistrates in that recent Peterloo Massacre epic were incredibly shit (sorry i know someones is related to one, and i'm sure they are brilliant otherwise it was just terrible directing).

Custard

What about Brian Wilson, and indeed all the Beach Boys in this made for TV shitter?

https://youtu.be/X9u5vix5RM4

"I'm telling you guys. The story of The Beach Boys is only just beginning"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 15, 2019, 01:53:36 PM
What about Brian Wilson, and indeed all the Beach Boys in this made for TV shitter?

Seen that. It's an astonishingly bad film.
One for the 'Worst Portrayal Of Real Facial Hair In Film Ever' thread too.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 15, 2019, 01:53:36 PM

Wow that's bad, I'm a fan of the Beach Boys but had no idea this thing existed.  I thought John Cusack was a bit miscast as Brian in Love & Mercy (not helped by the fact that Paul Dano also played him in the same movie and fit the role much better) but this performance is on a whole other level.  I'm very tempted to track down the full movie & subject myself to it.

gilbertharding

Everybody in The Linda McCartney Story, but especially the bit where John Lennon turns up at his house: "MCCARTNEY!! MCCARTNEY!!!"

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 15, 2019, 05:59:42 PM
Everybody in The Linda McCartney Story, but especially the bit where John Lennon turns up at his house: "MCCARTNEY!! MCCARTNEY!!!"

No, that's fantastic .  "I'll get you McCartney!"  Lennon as played by Rumplestiltskin.

George White

A year or two gone.

But Brian Cox as Andrew Neil in 1990's Secret Weapon

Has Neil ever had a tache?

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: George White on January 26, 2018, 11:45:10 PM
Well, it was because QT always loved Rod Taylor (rightly so), and wanted to cast him.

HE WAS MEANT TO BE CHURCHILL?!???

Hat buggered beyond recognition.

Dusty Substance

Almost certainly alone on this one, but I thought Christian Bale was appalling in 2010's The Fighter.

I have no context of what the real life person he portrayed was like, but it felt like he was in a different film to the rest of the performances.

Naturally, he won best supporting Oscar for this role.

Phil_A

Cuba Gooding Jnr was astoundingly weird casting as OJ Simpson in American Crime Story. Not only does he not physically resemble him, but doesn't act like him either, his "OJ" is far too emotional, basically always behaving like an obviously guilty man, whereas it seems like the real OJ always had a flat, affectless façade in public like a true psychopath.

It's almost like Gooding Jnr had never seen the real OJ and just had to make a best guess as to how he'd act in any given situation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on April 11, 2021, 12:49:49 AM
Cuba Gooding Jnr was astoundingly weird casting as OJ Simpson in American Crime Story. Not only does he not physically resemble him, but doesn't act like him either, his "OJ" is far too emotional, basically always behaving like an obviously guilty man, whereas it seems like the real OJ always had a flat, affectless façade in public like a true psychopath.

It's almost like Gooding Jnr had never seen the real OJ and just had to make a best guess as to how he'd act in any given situation.

Yes!  One of the most egregious cases of miscasting ever!  It's weird because literally all the other roles were cast so well.  I suspect it was a studio mandate.  Contracts and shit.

mothman

Travolta did look like he was actually wearing the flayed skin of Robert Shapiro a bit, though.

non capisco

Most of what I remember from that is Ross from Friends saying "Juiiiiiiiiiice!" every 30 seconds.