Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peaky Blinders series 4

Started by Viero_Berlotti, November 23, 2017, 06:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

It would probably be easy to pick this show apart now, but 2 episodes in and I'm still finding this very entertaining hokum.

It's the performances of the cast that generally hold it together. A couple of things have irked so far though. Why does Aiden Gillen still seem to be doing Little Finger's voice? And what's with Alistair McGowan doing the bad Marlon Brando impression?

Dex Sawash

Netflix USA next month, will watch.

Ja'moke

Haven't seen the second episode yet, but I still really enjoy this show. Is it perfect? Nope. And yeah it lacks the depth and nuance of your modern day prestige dramas, but fuck it, it's entertaining and the performances are top notch.

wooders1978

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on November 23, 2017, 06:43:52 AM
It would probably be easy to pick this show apart now, but 2 episodes in and I'm still finding this very entertaining hokum.

It's the performances of the cast that generally hold it together. A couple of things have irked so far though. Why does Aiden Gillen still seem to be doing Little Finger's voice? And what's with Alistair McGowan doing the bad Marlon Brando impression?

Reckon it's more papa lazarou

Mobius

I wish they'd kill the mum off this show. She's awful.

Viero_Berlotti

Tom Hardy back and hamming it up brilliantly to be the most hammiest of hams in episode 4.

Anyway my prediction for how it will play out this series (obviously spoilers ahead).....

Aunt Polly has no intention of selling Tommy out, she is using him as bait to get Alistair McGowan out in the open (and also getting Tommy back for using the family as bait at John's funeral). Whereupon McGowan will be killed by non-other than Esme Shelby in revenge for killing John. I also think one of Arthur or Michael will also get knocked off at some point.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on December 08, 2017, 08:56:54 PM
Tom Hardy back and hamming it up brilliantly to be the most hammiest of hams in episode 4.

Anyway my prediction for how it will play out this series (obviously spoilers ahead).....

Aunt Polly has no intention of selling Tommy out, she is using him as bait to get Alistair McGowan out in the open (and also getting Tommy back for using the family as bait at John's funeral). Whereupon McGowan will be killed by non-other than Esme Shelby in revenge for killing John. I also think one of Arthur or Michael will also get knocked off at some point.

Not to detract from your largely spot on predictions but the problem with the show by now is that it has become entirely predictable. Sadly the writing is  unworthy of the cast for most of this series. Luca Changretti, firmly established in one exquisite shot - is then sadly reduced to an incredulous panto Godfather, not so much by the performance which is commendable but the script, which is tedious. Tom Hardy actually managed to tone it down a bit in latter episodes, probably realising his shtick had passed through nuanced into simply comical. Meanwhile Tommy Shelby, walking past sparking industrial machinery, in his long coat and fucking hat with his haircut underneath. Looking like a strychnine victim with a fucking hat on, walking in slow motion - that music's playing.

Dr Syntax Head

Mrs Syntax is forcing me to watch this, halfway through season 3 now. It's pretty much identical to sons of anarchy, but like that show it's a laugh.

Dr Syntax Head

I find the modern cool music a bit jarring though. Nice idea but doesn't work.

Dex Sawash

Haven't they done the
Spoiler....

let's pretend this guy is really dead but he isnt thing before?

lebowskibukowski

Certainly enjoyable but i couldn't say it's up there with the best dramas. Even a reined-in Tom Hardy is still far too OTT, and it seems a bit too formulaic with the cycle of strut like peacock/war starts/looks bleak/Tommy has robotic sex with generic lady/Tommy has brilliant plan/all works out. Plus, I could do without all the "Could you pass me the milk, please, BY ORDER OF THE PEAKY FUCKIN' BLINDERS!"
Fucking love Arthur though.

rjd2

This is close to Sherlock levels of bollocks now. The twist of Tommy playing everyone is pretty obvious and the inclusion of Brody made last season awful, doing a shit version of Brando is not acting.

Hope they wrap it up soon.

wooders1978

I imagine next season will involve alfonse Capone and buildup to Tommy's eventual downfall

kitsofan34

So is this worth a punt? I have been slightly tempted by their above average, aesthetically posing advertisement posters, but isn't it just a British version of Boardwalk Empire, just not as good? Seems like they get some big star in to play the villain every series then they fuck off.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The Peaky Blinders is a silly name for a gang.

Given series 4 ended with Tommy winning a 1926 by-election in Birmingham, I can see where the writers might be going with this.

Anyway, its a hi-octane remake of When The Boat Comes In, after all.

Head Gardener

never seen any of it, it always smacked of a "what you SHOULD watch" BBC thing, can't be arsed with it and there's other stuff to watch

Mobius

Basically anything past series 1 is rubbish. Every series is sort of the same as well. There's loads of boring bits and all of the characters are annoying.

Hat FM

i thought the last series was a vast improvement over the previous two but there is far better stuff around to watch.

Head Gardener

the only interest I can muster for this is that Cillian Murphy has "an extensive record collection" according to 6music

kidsick5000

I finally gave in and tried it this week. Ended up bingeing the lot.

The formula for the show does suggest Series 5 will be the last one, otherwise Tommy is going to end up PM

Dex Sawash

Finished S5 last night.

Not bad but needed at least 2 more episodes as not a hell of a lot happened. Didn't even fake any deaths in family.

EOLAN

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 07, 2019, 06:23:03 AM
I finally gave in and tried it this week. Ended up bingeing the lot.

The formula for the show does suggest Series 5 will be the last one, otherwise Tommy is going to end up PM

Nah; his downfall is going to come when he is disgraced in a bid to arrange a coke for guns trade with Goering that is uncovered by Churchill. They strike up a friendship after heading over as his fellow Birmingham MP Neville Chamberlain's advisor at the Munich Pact Agreement. Hitler gets Tommy into his inner circle after recognising him as the man who declined from shooting him during the Great War and it is his influence that finally gets Hitler to sign the Agreement. The recording of Chamberlain's 'Peace in our Time' speech is also ruined by persistent bronchial coughing of Tommy who on eventually being uncovered as collaborating with the Nazies on the outbreak of war is sent to prison where he dies of pneumonia.
A year later; Arthur in a drunken coke-fuelled fury tries to get revenge as Churchill accedes to the Premiership with a machine-gun but is taken down by Churchill's bodyguards. 

kngen

Do they still use anachronistic music in the action scenes? That put me off even finishing season 1, tbh.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2019, 06:07:06 PM
Do they still use anachronistic music in the action scenes? That put me off even finishing season 1, tbh.

"Climbing up the Walls" was in the last episode I watched

I mean, I don't know what 1920s / 30s music was as evocative, but it's their style, so I put up with it even if some of it is a bit on the nose

kngen

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 18, 2019, 07:06:37 PM
"Climbing up the Walls" was in the last episode I watched

I mean, I don't know what 1920s / 30s music was as evocative, but it's their style, so I put up with it even if some of it is a bit on the nose

Wolverine Blues, over and over and over again.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2019, 07:19:12 PM
Wolverine Blues, over and over and over again.

AHH HEEY H HAHA HUHHH HAA HAA WEE A RED RAAH HAAA

Dex Sawash

Thunderstruck somewhere this season.

NJ Uncut

I liked this before it was cool, by which I mean the point where my local pub had whiskey advertised "By order of the Peaky Blinders" and cunts saying that in a crap voice and there being quiz nights I won't go to

Not saying that makes me better in any way. Although let's be a bit realistic, hmm?

.. Oh god. I've called cocaine "tokyo" I AM ONE OF THEM

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2019, 06:07:06 PM

I didn't mind that at all.   It worked for me.

You're going to hate a moment in the most recent series where someone turned off the anachronistic music by lifting the needle off the gramophone on which the music had been playing!