Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The next Nintendo Handheld (Gameboy)

Started by Bazooka, November 24, 2017, 02:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Sorry if anyone came into the thread thinking they had just given a press release.

I am just curious to what the successor to the 3DS will be (my favourite console of the last decade) with consideration to the Switches portable functionality, whether they will release a fully hand-held device after the Switch has been around for 5 or so years. I am no processor nerd, but the PSP rivaled the PS2 power (give or take) using UMD media Vita etc, yet the cost of replicating even Gamecube graphics on a smaller device is a long shot.

Will be interesting to see.

Steven

They will probably release a smaller and lesser power hungry version of the Switch, that will weigh a lot less.

The Light Switch.

AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHHA

etc

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

In keeping with the new naming, if the home console is The Switch, the handheld is The Knob.

Shay Chaise

The Switch can already run games which look better than the Gamecube, though. For example, Switch games.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aren't there games for phones/tablets that look better than Gamecube graphics now?

Shay Chaise

I just dropped a friggin deuce which looks better than most Gamecube games.

biggytitbo

The PS Vita already had better graphics than the gamecube and that was 6 years ago, and the switch is orders of magnitude more powerful than that.

On a true handheld its all about battery life though isnt it, rather than raw power. The original gameboy looked absolute shit next to the gamegear and lynx but it won that generation by a mile because it lasted hours longer on batteries.

Kelvin

Yeah, I think the fact that a mainstream Pokemon title (ie. a purely handheld game historically) is in development for Switch tells you everything you need to know about Nintendo's plans for a standalone handheld device, moving forward. It's basically Switch for their home console and Switch - and mobile phones - for their handheld devices. After all, why would people want a second, less powerful portable console, when they can already take the Switch with them in 90% of the same situations?

I think it's much more likely that we get iterations on the Switch in the next 2-3 years, with possibly a smaller design, or maybe even a handheld only version that doesn't come with a dock or detachable joy-cons, but does have a better battery life. That won't be for a while, though, as they almost certainly want the messaging on the base Switch design to be as clear and simple as possible for the first year or so.

All that said, we're talking about Nintendo, one of the most unpredictable and self-defeating corporations I can think of. So I wouldn't be surprised if they released a handheld console implanted in a live bear, quite frankly. 

Bazooka

I think it will be a shame if Nintendo give up on the DS system, yes the switch is portable but you are still paying a home console price.

As Biggy said it will come down the battery power, and I will go out on a limb and say all Android/IOS games are sub par.

The Vita was a disaster, level with the Wii U. The PSP though was a true marvel.

Thursday

There's still things coming for the 3ds that I think "why wouldn't this work on Switch" so I don't know if the 3ds is going for a while anyway.

falafel

My guess is because of the rapid pace of mobile tech, the future for the next half decade at least is smaller, thinner, lighter and cheaper Switches every couple of years, and maybe they'll adopt a hybrid of the iPhone and PS4 + Pro model, steady graphical upgrades (including retrospective patches - eg a 4k Zelda patch around 2019) combined with gradual obsolescence for older models. I mean, as a console concept this could be as transformative as the iPhone so why not grab that form factor by the horns.

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Replies From View