Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hey Arnold

Started by Z, November 26, 2017, 01:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

One of my favourites as a kid, I'd be very surprised if the better episodes don't hold up but anyways it looks like it's back. There's a film out or something? Anyone see it yet?

Have to say, I'm more than a bit wary of the voice actors being largely replaced, a lot of the charm probably stemmed from using actual kids.

BritishHobo

I finished watching it this morning. Funny - I've been in a Facebook group dedicated to getting the film made for about a decade, although I myself haven't contributed a single thing to efforts. It's the film Craig Bartlett wanted to make at the time, to finish off the show, but it was scrapped after the performance of the first film. So it's really wonderful to see it finally be made.

I think if I didn't know all that though, I would have found it a very strange film. The show about a nice lad in a poor neighborhood helping out his pals with ordinary problems goes to the South American jungle for a madcap adventure?

But it was a good laugh, and really nice to see all the characters again. I loved this show so much.

Bazooka

Haven't watched it for years, wasn't the creator affiliated with Matt Groening somehow?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Bazooka on November 26, 2017, 08:23:18 PM
Haven't watched it for years, wasn't the creator affiliated with Matt Groening somehow?

Yeah, Craig Bartlett is married to Groening's sister Lisa. It's a bit funny that she's named Lisa and his surname starts with "Bart", but not much.

Z

The idea this film focuses so much on Arnold himself seems kinda strange. He's usually the figure things largely happen around, isn't he?

I imagine it's important to watch the final episode of the show first? The one about his parents? My vague memories of it at the time was that it was an extremely odd episode for the show.

Emma Raducanu

Been about 18 years since I watched it but remember loving the show. Was one of the first cartoon characters I had a reasonable crack at drawing.

This post was brought to you by pritt stick, for all your sticking needs

Dex Sawash

Weird and wonderful show. One of the few bonuses of having kids at all born in the 90s.

Loved this show. I also liked Doug.

itsfredtitmus

Arthur was just like, better

Fry

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on November 28, 2017, 04:44:28 AM
Arthur was just like, better

Two things Arthur had going for it:

No other character in any piece or media has ever caused as severe a reaction in me as his little sister D.W did. I fucking hated her, I seethed when she was on screen.

That library card song is still stuck in my head.

But Hey Arnold was brilliant.

madhair60

St_Eddie

Quote from: Fry on November 28, 2017, 12:09:29 PM
No other character in any piece or media has ever caused as severe a reaction in me as his little sister D.W did. I fucking hated her, I seethed when she was on screen.

Dex Sawash

Replies From View

Hey Arnold had a stupidly shaped head.  Therefore:  not a good enough cartoon.

St_Eddie

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 01, 2017, 04:47:54 AM
The pictures or me?

Might not be an either/or situation.  Don't know.

Hey Arnold was awful though.  One of the cartoons with too much clutter and noise.

Replies From View

Quote from: swordfish_bhoona on December 02, 2017, 12:17:01 PM
Sounds like one of your shirts.

I needed to wear those shirts to get Hey Arnold out of my system and into everyone else's.

St_Eddie

Perhaps the show's biggest crime was promoting illiteracy for an entire generation of children (that's my excuse anyhow and I'm sticking to it).  Where's the missing comma in your show's title, Arnold?

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 03, 2017, 05:11:13 PM
Perhaps the show's biggest crime was promoting illiteracy for an entire generation of children (that's my excuse anyhow and I'm sticking to it).  Where's the missing comma in your show's title, Arnold?

The boy was called Hey Arnold, and the show was called just his name.  Like with Doctor Who.

To get his attention people would have to say, "Hey, Hey Arnold!"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on December 03, 2017, 06:41:15 PM
The boy was called Hey Arnold, and the show was called just his name.  Like with Doctor Who.

To get his attention people would have to say, "Hey, Hey Arnold!"

"He said, 'Hey, Hey Arnold!' My name is Hey Arnold!"

Old Nehamkin

Hey Arnold was good. It was like a version of Arthur that wasn't made for fucking squares.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on December 03, 2017, 07:29:12 PM
Hey Arnold was good. It was like a version of Arthur that wasn't made for fucking squares.

The Dudley Moore one or the Russell Brand remake?