Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite bands

Started by Martian Martian, February 19, 2004, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
As a newcomer, I'd be interested in seeing what kind of music everyone is into at the moment. Forgive me if this exists elsewhere, but I did have a look and couldn't see anything.

Erm...my turn then. Currently I'm listening to -

Electro/ambient: Black Dog, Boards of Canada, Jaga Jazzist, Four Tet, Cinematic Orchestra, Akufen, Aphex, Orbital, Cornelius, Susumu Yokota...

Indie/rock: Jim O'Rourke, Teenage Fanclub, BMX Bandits, Jonathan Richman, Pernice Brothers, Wilco, XTC, Lambchop, American Analogue Set...

...plus the other stuff I've forgotten about.

Jet Set Willy

The avalanches, the avalanches, super furry animals, the avalanches, the beach boys, the avalanches.

TraceyQ

My favourites mostly  change every week. (This week's favourite is Courtney Love) but there are a few that are at the tip toppermost of my list:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Blondie
Detroit Cobras
Black Crowes

I am considerable more rock'n'roll than yew.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"I am considerable more rock'n'roll than yew.
Agreed. I'm part-Martian, part-pansy.

sore bottom mum

Anything that 'Smoker' listens to... because he looks so cool.

Lt Plonker

I'm very fond of Pickettywitch, the White Plains, Manfred Mann and the Turtles. I've seen the Manfreds Live and they're great.

Vermschneid Mehearties

James, Air, Orbital, Ulrich Schnauss, The Orb, Manic Street Preachers, REM, Stone Roses, Aphex Twin.

DonkeyRods

Aphex, Amon Tobin, Boards of Canada, People Under The Stairs, Dj Shadow, D-Styles, Ned Hoddings, Dr Octagon/Dooom, Brian Eno & pals, Jega, Stars of the Lid, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Jimmy Spunkballad

El Unicornio, mang

The Beatles, Radiohead, Badly Drawn Boy, Bjork, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, The La's, Crowded House, The Charlatans, The Stone Roses

monkhouse terror

I'm a particular fan of the ion LiF, a nice Li¯ and F+. So strong and efficient. And when I'm having fun I always enjoy of the more common thermo-forming plastics such as PVC for their flexibility... you can't beat a bit of polymer action.

ROLF!!111

Er yes bands. I have many favourites of those, I am currently listening to British Sea Power, who are really rather lovely. Aphex, Autechre, Doves, Eels, Radiohead, and the Flaming Lips are amongst my favourites aswell.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "TraceyQ"I am considerable more rock'n'roll than yew.

Yeah? I'll take your bands and raise you ...

Queens Of The Stone Age, Mondo Generator, Kyuss, Eagles Of Death Metal, Brant Bjork and The Bros, Desert Sessions, Masters Of Reality, Slo Burn, Unida  ...

They're all pretty rock and roll ...

As well as that incestuous bunch I also mostly like Drunk Horse.

And Hal Cali. But they're Japanese. And they're not rock n' roll. They are fantastic.

Does anyone else think that we're very very unimaginative when it comes to tour poster design over here? It's pathetic.  Do a google image search on Frank Kozik ... go on ...

Kawaii Five-O

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"
Yeah? I'll take your bands and raise you ...

Queens Of The Stone Age, Mondo Generator, Kyuss, Eagles Of Death Metal, Brant Bjork and The Bros, Desert Sessions, Masters Of Reality, Slo Burn, Unida  ...

They're all pretty rock and roll ...

Ooh, I like you! Don't mean I won't raise you though: The Immortal Lee County Killers, Electric Eel Shock, Mudhoney, Guitar Wolf, Supersnazz, Mika Bomb, Zeke, Teengenerate, The Action Time, Les Sexareenos, Liars :D
Seeing Monster Magnet on Saturday as well, la la la.

I'm also rather fond of Super Junky Monkey, eX-Girl, Country Teasers, Dream City Film Club, 3 Ant Riot, Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, Pixies, Bleach (the Japanese one), Koko Taylor, Matthew Herbert, Tompaulin, Luke Haines, Joy Division, Royal Trux, The Handsome Family, Boredoms, Bis, Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia, King of Woolworths, Cornelius, Magazine, The Breeders, Tom Waits, Detroit Cobras, Pulp, Buzzcocks, The Eighties Matchbox Wotsit Disaster, Blues Explosion, Shonen Knife, Buffalo Daughter, GVSB, Fudge Tunnel, most stuff on DHR, Cardiacs, The Tiger Lillies, and anything involving Stephen Merritt <gasp>. And gawd knows what else.

I'm terrible at picking favourites.

chand

Lightning Bolt are considerably more rock'n'roll than the Black Crowes, therefore I win the contest.

djtrees

Quote from: "chand"Lightning Bolt are considerably more rock'n'roll than the Black Crowes, therefore I win the contest.

oooh i think theyre meant to be playing in liverpool soonish that makes me quite rockNNdroll just cos i know that i reckon

i have been mostly getting into the cloudeads, the dangermouse and geminis, the billy joels, the books, the cerys mathews'es and others

Neville Chamberlain

CARDIACS

(plus other similarly rock 'n' roll stuff)

easytarget

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Slo Burn

aceness.
did they do anything more than the brilliant "amusing the amazing" EP?

Spiteface

Flickerstick, Smashing pumpkins, Mogwai, My Bloody Valentine mainly.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Slo Burn
Quote from: "easytarget"aceness. did they do anything more than the brilliant "amusing the amazing" EP?
In was going to say nope but then that's not actually true, is it? I feel like shit today. Anyway, I've found a few tracks on P2P that aren't on the as you say outstanding Amusing The Amazing 10", but they aren't as good. They seem to be from the Black Jeweller bootleg, which you can find out about here.
I'll put them in my soulseek shares if you like - just let me know.

Dirty Boy

At the mo it's the likes of Explosions In The Sky, ancient Cardiacs treasures, Serge Gainsbourg and Undertones compilations and Frank Black's 'Teenager Of The Year'. A classic album in any season.

btw is it Slo Burn that have a song called 'Pilot The Dune'?.That used to get played all the time in my local once upon a time.An obscene amount of bass i seem to remember.It were grrrrrrrrrate

tetoffender

Narrowing down as much as possible, the things I've listened to most are:

My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, The Magnetic Fields, Orbital, Parliafunkadelicment, Stevie Wonder, Sonic Youth, Kool Keith, MF Doom, The Fall, Stereolab, Liquid Liquid, Galaxie 500, Kraftwerk (only a few more days till I see them!), Built to Spill, Pixies, Velvets, Stooges, The Goats, The Orb, Post-Punk in general, Spacemen 3, Mudhoney, The Cramps, Slint, The KLF,  Beta Band and, ooh,  I'll stop at that.

And at the moment, I quite like TV on the Radio, !!!, M83, Broken Social Scene, O.U.T.H.U.D. and all that sort of gubbins.

I like pop music too, honest! Although, that doesn't seem to be immediately obvious from what I've written above.

TOCMFIC

Nine Inch Nails, Aphex Twin, Faith No More, Rob Zombie, Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly... Erm, that'll do.

Neville Chamberlain

Oh, let's have some more then...

Did I say I like Cardiacs...?

Stuff wot i also like:

Mr. Bungle, Prolapse, The (mighty) Fall, Fugazi, NoMeansNo, Pigment Vehicle, Minutemen, Prolapse, Stars in Battledress, Husker Du, David Bowie, Magazine, Spratley's Japs, Deep Turtle, The Damned, Idiot Flesh, Wire, Kate Bush, The Sea Nymphs, Buzzcocks, Uz Jsme Doma...and lots and lots of other stuff!

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"is it Slo Burn that have a song called 'Pilot The Dune'?.That used to get played all the time in my local once upon a time.An obscene amount of bass i seem to remember.It were grrrrrrrrrate

Yeah, it was (they didn't last very long). It's a great track. Where's your local? They don't have shit like that at my local - Stevie Wonder and Lee Perry maybe, but not Slo Burn ... I have to play it a maximum volume and point my speakers out the window so I can hear it in the pub, and the neighbours don't like it. Scares the kids, or so they say ...

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Jim"(list)
A cracking list. Who were you before "the change", Jim? I'm old and confused.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Who were you before "the change", Jim? I'm old and confused.

Here's a clue: I was occasionally abused using a phrase commonly heard in a popular BBC sitcom involving two brothers who got themselves into all sorts of implausible scrapes in and around south-east London...

Anyway, I killed him after I caught him stealing some biscuits.

@ssmaster

Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, RHCP, Stone Roses, Marilyn Manson plus loads of others that don't spring to mind.

TOCMFIC

Some additions: Marillion (Before Fish buggered off and took all the talent with him... Read between the lines folks...), Fish, Orb...

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Jim"
Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Who were you before "the change", Jim? I'm old and confused.
Here's a clue: I was occasionally abused using a phrase commonly heard in a popular BBC sitcom involving two brothers who got themselves into all sorts of implausible scrapes in and around south-east London...

Anyway, I killed him after I caught him stealing some biscuits.
Ah, my Top SE Whore of 2003. I see. Hence the cracking list. Well people like you and Dirty Boy (Rovis?) should know I've dug another Pond.

(Oh right, that Jim. Not Jim Bob then, heh.)

here's my poxy list i formulated not five minutes ago on a piece of paper:

Adam & the Ants, At the Drive In, Beck, Blondie, Blur, BonzoDog, Cake, Cramps (the), Bowie, Eels, Elvis Costello, The Fall, Flaming Lips, Fugazi, Gary Numan, Gang of Four, Gomez, Granddaddy, Idlewild, Interpol, Jarcrew*, Jeff Buckley, Jet, Jimi Hendrix, John/Spencer/Blues/Exp, The Kills, The Kinks, Kings of Leon, The Liars,  Luigi Tenco, Less Than Jake, Mclusky, Mario Vendredi, Melt Banana, Shellec, Mr Bungle, Nick Cave, Nirvana, New Order, (breath...)

...Pavement, PJHarvey, The Pixies, Pulp, Radiohead, REM, The Rapture, Scott Walker, Soulwax, Supergrass, Television, Ramones, Stones, New York Dolls, The Polyphonic Spree, Tripping Daisy, T-Rex, Velvet Underground, Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Wesley Willis, The White Stripes (including Meg's drumming).  Huey Lewis and the News.

(not exhaustive)  ..oh sorry were we only allowed three.

*the best live band ever.