Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What film have you seen 20 times?

Started by Emma Raducanu, November 26, 2017, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

I'm sure I've seen breakfast club at least 20 times. Used it as a comfort blanket during late adolescence.

Sure also I've seen taxi driver so many times.

St_Eddie

Well I've seen The Big Lebowski 19 times and I've seen Alien 21 times, so quite frankly, I don't think that I qualify for this thread.

Steven

I have seen many films over that number as a kid, what with videoing them and repeatedly watching when there was fuck all else on. I remember counting and I saw An American Tail 2: Fievel Goes West somewhere in the reaches of 90 times. Ed Wood something like 30 times. Withnail & I, I've lost count, must be well over 100 through all these years as after lending a copy at college and watching it a bunch before giving it back, it was the first DVD I acquired at Uni when DVDs were relatively a new thing and every night someone on campus would ask me to bring it round for a screening as a lot hadn't seen it, and as you'd imagine huddled in groups sat on the floor drinking and smoking joints throughout with the odd person shouting quotes if they'd seen it.

Then I usually end up putting it on roughly every 2-3 months under various circumstances, actually a friend of mine has never seen it after me telling him to watch it for well over a year now, and every time he stays the night I threaten to put it on but haven't so far. I think he put it on once at home and watched 20 minutes before going to bed, said he was sober and liked what he saw but felt he'd have to feel drunk to watch it fully. And another friend whose house I was staying over the other week wanted to put it on after we watched a lecture Bruce Robinson did about his Ripper book but I actually couldn't be arsed as she's seen it a shit-tonne and I must have seen it the month previous. It is the most easily re-watched film for some reason I find.

Lord Mandrake

I've tried to watch Dunkirk about 20 times today.

Serge

I must have seen Close Encounters Of The Third Kind at least 20 times.

Bazooka

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre have probably tallied 40 or so viewings. But exactly 20 times? Short Circuit 2.

Dex Sawash

Sin Agog

Am incapable of watching a movie twice in as many years as an adult.  As a kid, though, apparently I watched The Care Bears Movie repeatedly, at the cinema then later at home.  Can distinctly remember watching it on my fifth birthday, and being given a shiny, gilded card, inside of which I was told was a very special gift.  It was getting to start school in two days.  I immediately threw the card on the floor and ran to my room.  That's a shit gift by any reckoning. So whatever the final number is for the amount of times I've seen The Care Bears Movie, it'll have a half on the end.

Mobius

Sin Agog

No, just from when I was about five onwards, and even then it's spotty.

greenman

Quote from: Bazooka on November 26, 2017, 08:18:43 PM
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre have probably tallied 40 or so viewings. But exactly 20 times? Short Circuit 2.

Exactly the time of times it takes to develop the perfect Indian accent.

BeardFaceMan

I watch Top Secret every year on my birthday (rock'n'roll!) and when I was a kid I watched it every day during a school summer holiday, drove my family mental. Must be up to about 70 or 80 views of that bad boy now. And I still cry laughing at the old bloke with double bass. I am a simple man.

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: Steven on November 27, 2017, 02:16:13 AM
Ugh.

I posted a scathing retort to st Eddie and didn't want it to be mistaken for a response to your perfectly valuable contribution

phantom_power

Probably ones I had on video as a kid so ET because of that pirate copy we had and Evil Dead 2 as it was one of the first videos I bought with my own money. Robocop as well. I certainly haven't seen anything from the last 20 years more than a couple of times, except perhaps Christmas films like Elf

Bazooka

Quote from: greenman on November 27, 2017, 06:49:19 AM
Exactly the time of times it takes to develop the perfect Indian accent.

Fischer Stevens lived in India in order to get the accent and brown skin down to a T, ultimate method actor.

surreal

I saw the original Ghostbusters at the cinema in 1984 9 times in the space of a couple of weeks.  Must be up to about 20 times by now but that was a good head start...

Sambob

'Goodfellas' (gets better with every watch)

'The Terminator' (at least 20 times by the age of 12)

'Natural Born Killers' and 'The Crow' (all between the ages of 13-16)

Also any half decent film that's "always" on telly I'll end up watching, so I'm sure I've seen 'Home Alone' and 'Back to the Future' at least 20 times. Probably 'Weird Science' as well.

Ooh and 'A Muppets Christmas Carol' (annual tradition since the mid 90s).

Steven

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 27, 2017, 04:45:14 AM
As a kid, though, apparently I watched The Care Bears Movie repeatedly, at the cinema then later at home. 

And I know why, you filthy fucker.

bushwick

Freddy Got Fingered, more than 50 times with my brother in early 00s while on the dole. We never gave it back to video shop, kept getting letters with massive 3-figure fines but then the video shop went bust. Don't regret that as it's one of my favourite films, but ashamed to say I've watched Dude, Where's My Car? over 20 times as we got it from the video shop at the same time. Have watched it since and didn't laugh at all. Freddy Got Fingered is a pinnacle of human achievement though and I don't really trust anyone who says they don't like it.

Steven

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 27, 2017, 08:39:34 AM
I posted a scathing retort to st Eddie and didn't want it to be mistaken for a response to your perfectly valuable contribution

Why didn't you just quote St Eddie in your response? Simple. My contributions aren't valuable. There's a whole documentary about people who repeatedly watch Withnail & I and it seems like the kind of people you'd rather avoid, even Adam Buxton is annoying in it by misquoting Danny the Dealer and inserting swear words where there aren't any: Withnail & Us

greenman

I'd guess probably the original Star Wars films, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, Wrath of Khan, Ghostbusters, first two Back to the Future's, Big Trouble In Little China, Groundhog Day, etc.

Steven

Quote from: greenman on November 27, 2017, 02:37:42 PM
Groundhog Day

That's a good shout as the looping repetitiveness feeds into the whole re-watchability of it. Plus even though it's not set at Christmas, the snow and underlying warmth of the whole thing gives it that tucked-under-the-duvet-on-the-sofa-in-the-middle-of-the-day-with-the-fire-on Christmassy feel. See also: Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 27, 2017, 08:39:34 AM
I posted a scathing retort to st Eddie..

Why?  I answered the question posed by this thread (the two films which I've watched the most number of times are The Big Lewbowski and Alien), whilst lightly poking fun at the oddly specific number cited within the thread's title (something which I'm not alone in doing it should be noted).  There's no need to be a dilbert about it.

Quote from: bushwick on November 27, 2017, 01:36:05 PM
Freddy Got Fingered, more than 50 times with my brother in early 00s while on the dole. We never gave it back to video shop, kept getting letters with massive 3-figure fines...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/24/man-arrested-for-not-returning-freddy-got-fingered-vhs-from-2002-5774177/

I definitely watched Taxi Driver more than 20 times when I was a teenager

St_Eddie

I definitely rode in a taxi and spoke to its driver more than 20 times when I was a teenager.

Wasn't any where near as interesting as the film, Taxi Driver would have you believe.

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: St_Eddie on November 27, 2017, 06:07:49 PM
Why?  I answered the question posed by this thread (the two films which I've watched the most number of times are The Big Lewbowski and Alien), whilst lightly poking fun at the oddly specific number cited within the thread's title (something which I'm not alone in doing it should be noted).  There's no need to be a dilbert about it.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/24/man-arrested-for-not-returning-freddy-got-fingered-vhs-from-2002-5774177/

I didn't quote because I'm always using my shitty little phone and can't quote selectively. See above. It wasn't really scathing anyway, I was joking.

I hope this clarifies this awful situation and we can return to the matter at hand.

I might have seen contact nearly 20 times. It was something I could watch at 2am after a busy day while everyone around me were probably fucking and getting high. Yeh, round mine anyone for contact and a pint of tea.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 27, 2017, 08:30:18 PM
I didn't quote because I'm always using my shitty little phone and can't quote selectively. See above. It wasn't really scathing anyway, I was joking.

I hope this clarifies this awful situation and we can return to the matter at hand.

Ah, okay.  No worries.  I'm sure you're a great bunch of lads dolphins.

In the spirit of returning to the matter at hand; I've watched Polanski's Bitter Moon more times than I can possibly count, these past few years.  It's fast become one of my absolutely favourite films (tied with my other absolutely favourite film, Under the Skin).