Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What film have you seen 20 times?

Started by Emma Raducanu, November 26, 2017, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Probably some film my dad taped off the telly, I watched Temple of Doom and The Return of the Pink Panther a lot.

Dr Rock

Blade Runner and Evil Dead 2 for sure. High counts for Pulp Fiction and Die Hard as they're always on the telly and I end up watching them again. SW OT, probably 20 times, but it's a big number, there's loads of films I know I've watched 5 or 6 times. I've seen Superman and Superman 2 loads, as like Blade Runner they were early things I had on VHS.

So I Married An Axe Murderer and Home Alone if any. Field of Dreams about five times maybe, that seems a lot to me. Full of admiration for people who can watch the same film over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Mr_Simnock

Jaberwocky,
ET,
Time Bandits,
Monty Python and the Holy grail,
Monty Python and Life of Brian,
Original Star wars Trilogy
The Dark Crystal
The Last Star Fighter
Enter the Dragon,
Game of Death,
Fist of Fury,
The Big Boss,
Akira
not sure about the rest but i have seen them at least 10 times
Love and Death
Manhattan
Sleeper
Play it again Sam
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Project A
Wheels on Meals,
Police Story,
My Lucky Stars,
Winners and Sinners,
Kickboxer,
Bloodsport,
Back to the Future,
Indiana Jones Trilogy,
Ghost Busters,
Plains Trains and Automobiles,
Uncle Buck,
Superman,
Superman 2

I know there a lot more I can't remember just now

SteveDave

The Wicker Man
Superbad (I once watched it three times in one day)
Terminator 2
Withnail And I

Bence Fekete

Lost HIghway however many times you can watch that on a continuous vhs loop for about a week.  And I would volunteer for clockwork orange style experimental eye torture if it meant 24/7 of 2001

Howj Begg

Films I watched a hell of a lot before the age of 18:

Bob Roberts
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Excalibur
Pinnochio (1940)
Goodfellas

Brundle-Fly

Coronation Street (1960)

I must have watched this short film many many times over the past forty years and I always spot something new: those little artistic attentions to detail, nuances in performance and the time it suddenly went into colour in 1969 and a character I don't remember from first viewing, snuffing it in the Rover Return's snug.

Icehaven

There's loads of films that just pop up on TV all the time that I've probably seen at least partly over 20 times without really meaning to, all the Back to the Futures, both Ghostbusters, Goonies, Gladiator, Sixth Sense, loads.

But intentionally watched over 20 times;
Chaplin (former Robert Downey Jnr obsessive)
Withnail and I (see previous posts)
Midnight Cowboy (It's the greatest film ever made.)

Brundle-Fly

DukeDeMondo

As with others here, the films I've watched most often - 20 times or more - are the ones I would watch continually as a youngster. Off the top of my head:

The Lost Boys
Rawhead Rex
Mr Saturday Night
Eddie And The Cruisers II: Eddie Lives
Maybe Falling Down too.

I'm not sure if I've watched anything 20 times or more as an adult, I wasn't keeping count, but there are a few contenders:

The Passion of the Christ
In The Name Of The Father
Love And Death
Taxi Driver

And then there are the things I had to watch over and over and over because I was writing about them during my MA or PhD or whatever. 20 times or more for each of the following:

Hostel and Hostel II
The Hills Have Eyes
Saw III
Mondo Cane and Mondo Cane II
Goodbye Uncle Tom
Faces of Death
Savage Man, Savage Beast
Martyrs

That sort of thing.

The film I've watched most often in the last couple years is probably Tangerine. I'd say it'll join the 20+ club one of these days.

imitationleather

For a good couple of years I would watch '70s sex comedy mess Come Play With Me most weekend mornings after getting in from a rave to accompany me either coming down or putting more drugs in myself. I don't think watching this film was a particularly widespread phenomenon in the dance music scene of the time (mid-late '00s), but among my crew it became a cult favourite.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 30, 2017, 11:00:30 PM
Hostel and Hostel II

I like that you have something positive to say about the Hostel films (at least I assume that you do, seeming that you've watched them multiple times).  They're not necessarily particularly good films, objectively speaking but subjectively, I very much enjoy them.  I'm all too familiar with reading disparaging and barbed comments in relation to said films.  It's refreshing to read that someone else has the same terrible taste as I do.

I particularly admire the 70s vibe of the second film.  The third film is absolute bollocks though and feels rather incongruous to the two prior installments (a change of director is likely related).

Mr Banlon

Ipcress File
Mean Streets
The French Connection
Get Carter
Le Samourai
Performance
Quadrophenia
Point Blank

Shit Good Nose

I've seen Blade Runner hundreds of times in the last nearly-30 years.

I've watched Christmas Vacation every christmas since I first bought it on video in 1990.

Probably seen Sorcerer about 20 times.

Z

Top contenders are Babe, Back to the Future, The Flintstones (1994), rocky III  and the Lion King.

I'd be kind of surprised if any actually made it to 20 full watches, although babe almost certainly exceeds 15.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 01, 2017, 06:14:31 AM
They're not necessarily particularly good films, objectively speaking but subjectively, I very much enjoy them. 

I actually disagree, I think they're both incredibly intelligent and incisive and shrewd. The first one is my favourite, and the one I find most interesting, but the second is also very sharp-witted and insightful. I have never seen the third, but based on what I know of it I can't imagine it being as rich as either of the first two. But then, there's every chance it might be.

QDRPHNC

Probably The 'Burbs. It's just so damn entertaining.

Sebastian Cobb

My Cousin Vinny.

I reckon I had feelings for Marissa Tomei before I knew what feelings were.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 01, 2017, 02:16:20 PM
I actually disagree, I think they're both incredibly intelligent and incisive and shrewd. The first one is my favourite, and the one I find most interesting, but the second is also very sharp-witted and insightful.

Like I said, I enjoy them.  It's just that they're not films that I would ever recommend to friends because I would feel slightly embarrassed to do so.  Admittedly, that probably says more about myself, than it does the quality of the films themselves.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 01, 2017, 02:16:20 PMI have never seen the third, but based on what I know of it I can't imagine it being as rich as either of the first two. But then, there's every chance it might be.

SPOILER: It's not.

Brundle-Fly

Fantastic Planet (1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E

Obsessed with this film ever since I watched a clip of it on the BBC kid's quiz show, Screen Test in the mid-seventies. They eventually showed it on Channel 4 in the late eighties and I must've worn out that VHS tape viewing it on a post-pub spaced out Friday night.

And of course, one of the sexiest OSTs that ever existed!

borrance

asids

I'm not sure if I'm seen any 20 times, but now that I think about I used to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III on VHS over and over again, just as a bit of background noise. I guess it was a comfort. 23 I was, etc.

Home Alone was another one. I think that may have hit the 20 mark. I haven't watched it in a few years though. Perhaps give it another watch this Christmas.

Return of the Jedi is another one that's definitely around the 20 mark.

Thomas

Ones that haven't been mentioned so far:
The Princess Bride
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

and Live and Let Die, my favourite as a child which always seems to be on some channel or another still.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 30, 2017, 11:00:30 PM

Martyrs

That sort of thing.

The film I've watched most often in the last couple years is probably Tangerine. I'd say it'll join the 20+ club one of these days.
Martyrs 20+ times you must have no soul left, that film left me feeling drained so badly I have only watched it twice!!!