Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids (or adults) You Knew From Adverts in Real Life

Started by St_Eddie, November 27, 2017, 09:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Scott-Taylor was also Galloping Foxley, in Tales of the Unexpected, and had a stint in BBC1 ferry soap Triangle.

THere's currently a Lotto ad here with a bloke called William who wins the Lotto, and turns the flats he lives in to a water park.
"William" is actually Kwaku Fortune, the older brother of my childhood best pal.
Also was the CHIS handler in Line of Duty.

Alo, used to go a record store where the dancing man from the Guinness ad, Joe McKinney worked. Around that time he was working there, he played Porridge alumnus Zoot Money in the Jimi Hendrix unauthorised biopic with Andre 3000

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pijlstaart on April 19, 2021, 01:54:00 PM
No adverts, a couple of people became the butt of jokes for TV appearances

When I was in sixth form The Hitman and Her was filmed at our local crappy club, and someone from my school was visible there. Still, he's now a fairly prominent barrister and almost certainly not living in a rented one bedroom flat, so who's laughing now? Still me actually, because I was never on The Hitman and Her.

George White

Quote from: Bosco13 on April 19, 2021, 11:27:01 AM
The woman from that Daniel O'Donnell gas safety and used to work in the same shop as me.
We weren't there at the same time but she popped in a few times when I was working.

https://youtu.be/3FmwMTuyszk
Rose Henderson, isn't it, alias Sister Assumpta from Father Ted...
Lived in Carrigstown for a bit too, IIRC.

Always remember the credit roll rolling over her chasing Dougal, and the name of Cos Egan, an old pal of my grandad's from his Ardmore days appearing.

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 19, 2021, 11:34:24 AM
I know one of the now possibly transphobic 'Bounty Strong Kitchen Tissues' ads.
I always remember my  mother angrily muttering that they had ripped off Cissy and Ada.
Despite never speaking let alone doing the Norman Evans schtick.

Rizla

Was at school with this lying bastard. 32? Never smoked? Chinny fuckin reckon.

Jockice

Quote from: Rizla on April 19, 2021, 03:08:14 PM
Was at school with this lying bastard. 32? Never smoked? Chinny fuckin reckon.

I knew exactly who you meant there before even clicking on it.

'Nice hat dad!"
"Fuck off you ginger bastard!''

abobo

Went to school with the kid who was throwing the pitch in the sun pat peanut butter advert.

https://youtu.be/Xt1CMNhVZrs

Blue Jam

Quote from: abobo on April 19, 2021, 04:00:11 PM
Went to school with the kid who was throwing the pitch in the sun pat peanut butter advert.

https://youtu.be/Xt1CMNhVZrs

...and of course The Sun-Pat Kid himself is Joe Absolom from off Eastenders. I just had to look that up because I had been absolutely convinced it was Ralf Little, turns out I misremebered that.

Girl at my school was a proper high-end fashion model. She was a couple of years below me so I never spoke to her, just saw her around- she was hard to miss as she was so tall. I heard nasty rumours about her all the time and people would gloat about bad things happening to her- she was bullied absolutely relentlessly. People tried to claim she was genuinely a really horrible person who deserved all this and that they weren't just jealous of her but I never bought that. She eventually developed an eating disorder and the school handled it really badly. This was the 1990's and the hysteria over eating disorders was pretty bad anyway, but the school started taking a register at the dining room entrance to make sure no-one was skipping lunch, basically treating her as if she had an infectious disease. I think she quit modelling and left the school after that. I can't say I blamed her.

Some friends' very cute identical twin boys did a bit of modelling when they were very young, a print ad for Paul Smith Kids. That was their one and only modelling job though, they had fun but my friends decided they'd rather just let them enjoy a normal childhood without any working, no hours spent waiting around in photo studios etc. It was probably for the best.

flotemysost

Someone I went to school with was in a Haribo advert, it wasn't a particularly memorable one though (not the campaign with the lisping adult babies that lots of people hate so much).

I was in my uni prospectus one year, in the bit with details about halls of residence. 20 quid to be immortalised below the heading WASTE DISPOSAL SERVICES

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2021, 04:22:05 PM
Girl at my school was a proper high-end fashion model. She was a couple of years below me so I never spoke to her, just saw her around- she was hard to miss as she was so tall. I heard nasty rumours about her all the time and people would gloat about bad things happening to her- she was bullied absolutely relentlessly. People tried to claim she was genuinely a really horrible person who deserved all this and that they weren't just jealous of her but I never bought that. She eventually developed an eating disorder and the school handled it really badly. This was the 1990's and the hysteria over eating disorders was pretty bad anyway, but the school started taking a register at the dining room entrance to make sure no-one was skipping lunch

Bloody hell, that's awful. Loads of schools handled that kind of situation terribly around the 90/early 00s, I've known people who were outed to the whole class by their teachers, or had really personal stuff (family breakups, mental health problems) discussed publicly at school or in assemblies because it was an Issue, seemingly without any thought for the actual pupil going through that stuff.

Flatulent Fox

Just saw this thread and did not read it.
Reminds me of my mate Mark who's Dad was an actor what was particularly famous for playing Ronald Macdonald in the '90s in the UK.

I remember seeing him, and with the information I had at the time ( Ronald macdonald larking about on tv) ,I was him alright.Big clown feet and everything.Nice.
He turned up at maidstone Macdonalds fucking about.Also Mr T made a champagne appearance a few weeks later.He had a limo but there was a barrier on the path so he had to walk for ages to get in.Still preferred Howling mad Murdoch.

Fuck you Maidstone council.

Mister Six

A mate of mine was in a Fairy liquid ad - the one where the little boy is waiting for his mum's bottle to empty so he can turn it into a rocket, except - of course - it's such fabulous value for money that he has to wait for ages.

He's mortified about it now. Didn't get any royalties, but they did pay for him and his family to go to Florida to watch a rocket take off, which is pretty cool when you're seven.

Gurke and Hare

I used to live next door to a couple of actors. Nice couple, not exactly famous - he mostly does voiceover stuff, audio books and so on, she mostly does theatre work and they've got a few TV credits. I used to feed their cat when they were on holiday, and there would often be a cheque for 50p sitting on the table for residuals from broadcasts of The Darling Buds of May in Malaysia, that kind of thing. Anyway, he once played a dopey dad sitting in an armchair with a blank look on his face while his whizzkid son listed of reams of technology in a PC World advert now. He was pretty good at it too, but you'll have to take my word for that because I can't find it on YouTube.

buzby

Carl Chase, of Birds Eye Steakhouse Grills 'Hope It's Chips', Batman, Alien3, The Mummy and Michel Gondry's 'Smarienberg' Smirnoff ad lived round the corner when we were kids. My sister was friends with his daughter.

non capisco

I used to work with the woman who played Gemma Dobson on Byker Grove, the character who died switching on a TV in a waterlogged room. She was a really nice woman who was in retrospect very patient with all the work twats who took glee in using the nascent internet to find pictures of her as a child actor and go "Ahahaha, look at this tiny thumbnail picture of you a bit younger and with different hair". Reader, I was one of those work twats.  My main memory of her is her saying "They made up some daft band name my character was meant to be into, Half Man Half Biscuit" and she wouldn't believe me when I told her it was a real band.

pigamus

I used to go out with someone who as related to Captain Birdseye. He was her uncle or somesuch.

Sebastian Cobb

Mate that lives in Bristol claims the bloke that works in his local diy shop was Wordie out of Look & Read.

Quote from: non capisco on April 21, 2021, 02:36:40 PM
I used to work with the woman who played Gemma Dobson on Byker Grove, the character who died switching on a TV in a waterlogged room. She was a really nice woman who was in retrospect very patient with all the work twats who took glee in using the nascent internet to find pictures of her as a child actor and go "Ahahaha, look at this tiny thumbnail picture of you a bit younger and with different hair". Reader, I was one of those work twats.  My main memory of her is her saying "They made up some daft band name my character was meant to be into, Half Man Half Biscuit" and she wouldn't believe me when I told her it was a real band.

Is it too much to hope that she was the woman you mistakenly "aggressively farted" at in a locked ante-room a few years ago?

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on April 21, 2021, 02:36:40 PM

Do you mean Debbie Dobson? She was one of the girls that blinded PJ with a paintball!!

NoOffenceLynn

A kid I knew, was voice trained by the BILLIE BARRY CLUB in Ireland
He got a job advert to sing about Loop the Loop Ice pop for 25 seconds and thought he was god.

He was not called back.

non capisco

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on April 21, 2021, 03:02:41 PM
Is it too much to hope that she was the woman you mistakenly "aggressively farted" at in a locked ante-room a few years ago?

Ha ha! No, that was someone else. Otherwise it wouldn't have been just PJ from Byker Grove flailing about shouting "I'm blind, man!"

Quote from: icehaven on April 21, 2021, 03:23:06 PM
Do you mean Debbie Dobson? She was one of the girls that blinded PJ with a paintball!!

I have it in my mind she was called Gemma Dobson but could have been Debbie, my knowledge of the Byker Grove canon begins and ends with her being in it and that paintball incident, I was more of a Grange Hill guy. It was definitely the PJ and Duncan era though.

George White

Quote from: pigamus on April 21, 2021, 02:37:19 PM
I used to go out with someone who as related to Captain Birdseye. He was her uncle or somesuch.
John Hewer?
That reminds me.
I need to find that 6os exploitation film he stars in, Striptease Murder where he plays a standup comic at a strip club who turns detective when his bride is electrocuted on stage.

badaids

In first year at Uni in the block, my neighbour was a stunning Sikh girl who went on to do some modelling for Versace that was in all the magazines. But she didn't like it and became a lawyer. Not only was she impossibly gorgeous but she was wonderfully kind and friendly. The only bad thing about her is that when she was in her room she would listen to that awful Puff Daddy single that sampled The Police on loop, often leaving it on when she went out so that it sometimes played the entire weekend, driving me mad.  The other annoying thing was that at any time of day or night you'd get Sikh lads outside her room declaring their undying love, reading poetry or pestering her.

Not adverts, but at college, we were in the same year as her that played the daughter in the BBC sitcom So Haunt Me. Everyone was too afraid to talk to her because of this and resented the fact she drove about in a brand new Suzuki Vitara instead of brown T-reg Mk 1 Ford fiestas like all us scum.

My mate Sam who played Malcolm Tuckers secretary has been in loads of ads, like for insurance and the post office and that. Which is a bit weird when you're queuing for a stamp.

Quote from: non capisco on April 21, 2021, 04:43:40 PM
Ha ha! No, that was someone else. Otherwise it wouldn't have been just PJ from Byker Grove flailing about shouting "I'm blind, man!"

I thought it pretty unlikely but at least it gave me an excuse (not that I need one) to reread the offending post. I'm not usually big on fart and poo stories but that one absolutely cracks me up. The "cop a load of that, love" line is a particular favourite. :)

non capisco

Ha, cheers! I honestly grunted into that ante-room with the noblest of intentions.

petercussing

My auntie (by marriage) is the lady who does 5432Q on this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVlon97L58

She also said it was jank doing it and she spat the chomped bits in a bin next to her, fact fans.

As previously mentioned in the thread on it she was in Colin's Sandwich, as well, and London's Burning. Sadly she got early onset Alzheimers and is no longer with us.

saw the mum of someone I was at primary school for the first time in 15-20 years on the telly doing one of those excruciating Nationwide poetry adverts, a real mindfuck

mippy

Quote from: popcorn on April 19, 2021, 12:50:20 PM
Used to work with the brother of the guy who played Adrian Mole in the 80s TV series, he said it had ruined his life and was relentlessly bitter about it.

Really want to know more about this, as the other day MrM was looking up 'Get Fresh' and remarked on how rough it must have been for Gian Sammarco to be replaced as presenter by a rubber alien.

mippy

One ex of mine was at school with Matt Smith. Another was on the same uni course as Benedict Cumberbatch, Mat Horne and Bruce Mackinnon, who sometimes turns up on ads and makes me think 'oh! It's THAT guy!'

He haaaaaaaaaaated Horne and Mackinnon for being nascently successful when he was working in the alumni office on a temp contract.