Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Now Tv

Started by bgmnts, November 30, 2017, 10:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Does anyone here have Now Tv? If so, have you noticed they have a section at the moment called "Historically Innacurate" for films.

It contains films like Godzilla, Star Wars Rogue One and The Mummy.

Someone explain please.

Keebleman

The Mummy would involve a lot of stuff about Ancient Egypt, Godzilla would probably have references to 50s Japan that are checkable and of course Star Wars took place a long time ago.  All meat and drink to historians.

holyzombiejesus

Why's this in the book forum?

touchingcloth

The Mummy is the only one which really fits the category. Though, thinking about it, could Rogue One fit if it in some way contradicts the internal history of the Star Wars films, or Godzilla (presumably the 1998 version with Jamiroquai on the soundtrack?) if it contradicts earlier works?

bgmnts

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 30, 2017, 11:11:10 PM
Why's this in the book forum?

Apologies. I was too angry. Wasn't thinking straight.
Needed to vent.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on November 30, 2017, 11:30:09 PM
Apologies. I was too angry. Wasn't thinking straight.
Needed to vent.

It's shelf abuse, it's fine to abuse these shelves.

Why isn't the first "abuse" up there spelled "abuce"? What a language!

Sebastian Cobb

Is there a 'scientifically inaccurate' section? Is The Core in there?

Sebastian Cobb

Back to the Future II should be in there and all.

touchingcloth

And Contact. It says a lot I think that there is a section for historical inaccuracies but not for scientific ones. It's taken as read that people play fast and loose with science in films, but for some reason people expect anything with a basis in history to be entirely accurate.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I suppose you're allowed to make any old shit up in sci-fi as long as it's mildly entertaining while you're at it, it's only when it's trite do you get held to the standards of history.

If you want a workaround for historical stuff you can just set it in a different universe though like the guy from got did, who obviously wanted to play around with his ideas without bothering to do any research.

touchingcloth

That's the whole point with high fantasy though really, set it in a facsimile of the real world but add some goblins or be-titted wenches of wheels of time or whatever. It is possible to do historical dramas without setting up an alternative universe and without your audience giving a fuck, though - take Deadwood for example - I don't think I've ever heard anyone review that show based on its historical accuracy.