Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Perfect Tens

Started by alan nagsworth, December 05, 2017, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

For Sale by the Beatles
Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones
Isn't Anything by MBV
Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth
You're Living All Over Me by Dinosaur
The Muppet Show first album.

Serge

Low David Bowie - yeah, I bet none of you expected THAT!

Also, "Heroes", Scott 4 Scott Walker, Computer World Kraftwerk, Neu! 75, Zuckerzeit Cluster and Tindersticks' first album. I was trying to think if any CAN albums would make it, but, although they all contain amazing music, they're all flawed ('Tago Mago' has 'Peking O', 'Ege Bamyasi' has 'Soup', which I like, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album!) Sorry, CAN.

Jockice

Isn't this just a 'your favourite albums ever' list? If so I'd like to nominate Back In Denim, More Specials and The Queen Is Dead. Even though the latter contains the dull dirge that is Never Had No One Ever, which is one of my least favourite Smiths tracks.

Thank you.

Dr Syntax Head

It does seem to have become a list albums you really like thread. But I like that. I like lists.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jockice on December 06, 2017, 10:49:58 AM
Isn't this just a 'your favourite albums ever' list? If so I'd like to nominate Back In Denim, More Specials and The Queen Is Dead. Even though the latter contains the dull dirge that is Never Had No One Ever, which is one of my least favourite Smiths tracks.

Thank you.

Not really. I would say The White Album was one of my favourite albums but it is let down by a few tracks. This thread is for albums that have no duffers on them. I love The Stone Roses but admit that Don't Stop isn't up to the par of the rest of the album. Same with Supergrass' I Should Coco and Alright

I would add Doolittle to my list though, and Massive Attack's Blue Lines but not Maxinquaye by Tricky which, though overall is as good as those two, falls apart a bit at the end. Dummy by Portishead is on the border

studpuppet

These are all albums that I play all the way through without skipping:

Beatles - Revolver
Bowie - Hunky Dory
Radiohead - The Bends
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Butthole Surfers - Hairway To Steven
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire De Melodie Nelson
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
The Rutles - The Rutles
Teenage Fanclub - A Catholic Education
The Fall - The Wonderful And Frightening World Of...
Etta James - At Last
Baader-Meinhof - Baader-Meinhof
Billy Bragg - Brewing Up With Billy Bragg
HMHB - Trouble Over Bridgwater
Inspiral Carpets - Dung 4
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Tim 'Love' Lee - Confessions Of A Selector
Van Der Graaf Generator - Aerosol Grey Machine
Lightning Rod - Hustler's Convention

Neville Chamberlain

Cardiacs - Sing to God: A double-album-sized microcosm of literally everything that makes Cardiacs so ridiculously special. The word "masterpiece" barely even covers just what a ludicrously audacious undertaking this album is. I could also potentially nominate On Land and in the Sea for the accolade of being a Perfect 10, but I'm going to resist.

NoMeansNo - Wrong: From beginning to end, just perfect. While there's obviously not a duff album in the NMN catalogue, this is the one - as cliched as this might be among NMN aficionados - that doesn't put a foot wrong at any point, ever.

The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace: Where other bands wallowed in urban and industrial grime and made the music to match, The Fall made music that, although clearly of its filth-ridden environment, had an unknowable, mysterious quality and atmosphere about it. In my opinion, the most perfect realisation of The 80s Fall's vision and one of the best albums ever hands down.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: studpuppet on December 06, 2017, 11:29:54 AM
The Fall - The Wonderful And Frightening World Of...

That's a 9.99-out-of-10 album for me.

Kane Jones

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 06, 2017, 10:36:52 AM
Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones

Do compilations count? No reason why not I suppose.

studpuppet

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 06, 2017, 11:43:48 AM
That's a 9.99-out-of-10 album for me.

This Nation's Saving Grace is the same for me - I don't get on with 'Damo Suzuki'.

studpuppet

Jockice

Gregory Torso

Albums with no skippable songs on that I can be bothered to think of:

Come - Eleven Eleven
Scott Walker - The Drift (although to be honest I don't/can't listen to this very often without losing my mind)
William Basinski - The Disintergration Loops (this is kind of cheating because it's only one or two long track(s))
Labradford - A Stable Reference (I want to live inside this warm womb of slow timeless and drumless sound)
Jesus Lizard - Goat

this is a compilation, but it's one of the best -
Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol 1 - they're all top notch (there were 4 released) but this is the only one where every single one of the 25 tracks on it is fuckin killer.

I really wanted to put Yo La Tengo's Electro-pura and Painful in there but they both have a couple of pointless short songs that I always skip.

Brundle-Fly

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Rubbish meaningless predictable self-aggrandizing turd (all the thread so far)

greenman

Quote from: Serge on December 06, 2017, 10:46:23 AM
Low David Bowie - yeah, I bet none of you expected THAT!

Also, "Heroes", Scott 4 Scott Walker, Computer World Kraftwerk, Neu! 75, Zuckerzeit Cluster and Tindersticks' first album. I was trying to think if any CAN albums would make it, but, although they all contain amazing music, they're all flawed ('Tago Mago' has 'Peking O', 'Ege Bamyasi' has 'Soup', which I like, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album!) Sorry, CAN.

Although I tend to view Tago Mago more as originally intended, the first four tracks(maybe maybe Bring Me Coffee and Tea?) with the two long experimental pieces as a bonus.

A few not mentioned that come to mind for me...

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Popol Vuh - Einsjager & Siebenjager  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-sNe6cqVw
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock
Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription
Michael Head & The Strands - Magical World of the Strands

Dr Syntax Head

Mr Magic-Grover Washington Jr
Curtis-Curtis Mayfield
Gentlemen-Afghan Whigs
Moon Safari-Air
Dirt-Alice in Chains
Superunknown-Soundgarden
Ambulance Ltd-Ambulance Ltd
Disintegration-The Cure
Ill Communication, Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique-Beastie Boys
Sea Change-Beck
Hot Shots II-Beta Band
Aufheben,Revelation, Give it Back, Strung out in Heaven-Brian Jonestown Massacre

A few there that have not one duff track that I would skip.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 06, 2017, 02:37:49 PM

u ok hun?x

itsfredtitmus

Adventures in Modern Recording

phantom_power

If it makes you feel better I did consider putting a James album in my list

studpuppet

If you wanted to say The Doors' first album, you can just say it you know. We won't judge you.

sweeper

Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Ha-Ha Sound - Broadcast
If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle and Sebastian
Dog Man Star - Suede
Richard D. James - Aphex Twin

thraxx

Broadcast - The Noise Made by People.
The Verve - Northern Soul.
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion.
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister.
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle.
Motorhead - Ace of Spades.
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Bwyd Time.
Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children.
Black Sabbath - Vol 4.
Manics - The Holy Bible.
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks.

I though about Dog Man Star, but Daddy's Speeding is horrible.
Steve Wonder - Talking Book and Music of my Mind (Songs in the Key of Life is not even top 3 Steve Records).

Edid:  Fuck, forget Michael Head and The Strands - definitely a 10/10.

alan nagsworth

You don't half talk some shite. If the opinions of other people were meaningless and self-aggrandising, I wouldn't have started the thread. It means a lot to me what other people think are records which don't have a single duff moment on them, especially if they bother to write a bit about why they think that. I'm interested in the results and I plan on checking out some of the stuff I've otherwise overlooked - especially bands like The Fall with their huge and overwhelming back catalogues - or never heard of at all. But hey if you don't like it maybe you could start one of those dross "SONGS WHAT HAVE A SPECIFIC YEAR IN THE TITLE" threads because they're dead important they are aren't they.

Ween - The Mollusk
It's not my favourite Ween album - I would say Chocolate & Cheese and Pure Guava probably have the joint top spot for being absolutely rinsed to motherfucking death over The Mollusk - but in my opinion it's the only Ween album which doesn't have a single bad song on it. C&C has Candi, one of my most-hated Ween tunes of all time, and PG has Mourning Glory, which isn't a bad song but would be much more at home on The Pod, whereas here it just sort of ruins the flow of the album. The Mollusk is perfect in all its stupid nautical themed prog rock inspired glory. It's probably their masterpiece album, and also notable for having what is probably their most straight-forward and serious song, Cold Blows The Wind, a lilting adaptation of an old 17th century folk tale which is extremely sensible right up until the last second of the song where the synth lets out a big fart noise that feels like it just throws the whole song in the bin before plodding gleefully into the dumb instrumental Pink Eye (On My Leg) laced with pitch shifted "uuhhhh"s and barking dog keyboard preset sound. Sensational.

Neville Chamberlain

It's okay. Shoulders is in Prague and obviously all pissed up on booze!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can't think of a great album that doesn't contain at least one skippable track. My favourite albums include If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle & Sebastian, Dog Man Star by Suede, Scott 4 by Scott Walker and The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks. None of them are perfect from start to finish.

Even Revolver and Pet Sounds are ever-so-slightly marred by I Want To Tell You and the chintzy Pet Sounds instrumental. Oh, and Forever Changes by Love would be a 10/10 if it weren't for the throwaway Bummer in the Summer.

Johnny Textface

Anything anyone posted made within the last couple of years?

I'd say 22, A Million and Blonde are recent 10 spots.

Dog Man Star - Suede - don't forget Daddy's Speeding!

doppelkorn

On mobile so excuse my brevity.

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Tenacious D - Tenacious D
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

There's probably a Neil Young one and a Bruce Springsteen one in there as well...

DrGreggles

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 06, 2017, 10:36:52 AM
The Muppet Show first album.

You're not wrong.

"Good grief, the comedian's a bear!"