Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Perfect Tens

Started by alan nagsworth, December 05, 2017, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 05, 2017, 11:53:30 PM
Battiato: Fetus.
XTC: Black Sea.
Can: Future Days.
Sparks: Propaganda.
Zamla Mammaz Manna: Family Cracks.
Talking Heads: Remain In Light.
The Feelies: Crazy Rhythms.
Fred Frith: Gravity.
Elvis Costello: Armed Forces.
This Heat: Deceit.
Amon Duul II: Wolf City.
NEU: Neu 75.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 06, 2017, 12:24:32 AM
Marry me!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 06, 2017, 08:34:00 AM
No, marry me!

Mrs. Absorb of the Anus Burn Harem has kindly given permission for you to be wives number two and three.... Form an orderly queue now.

Dr Syntax Head

Like it or not, taken as a whole Dark Side of the Moon is very much a perfect ten.

Neville Chamberlain

Even just reading the words "Dark Side of the Moon" sends me into a coma ;-)

Absorb the anus burn

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 08, 2017, 11:00:11 AM
Even just reading the words "Dark Side of the Moon" sends me into a coma ;-)

My work here is done

Absorb the anus burn

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 05, 2017, 11:53:30 PM
Battiato: Fetus.

I've heard about this this album, talked about in hushed tones of reverence, but I've never heard it. That will change this evening :-)

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 08, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
I've heard about this this album, talked about in hushed tones of reverence, but I've never heard it. That will change this evening :-)

It's amazing... Mysterious, enigmatic, squelchy - yet funny, playful and catchy as fuck.

It's just had a lovely 180gm re-release too, btw.

I've been meaning to start a Battiato thread for a while.... His first three are perfect tens.... (there's a nice little review here - https://blogthehum.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/on-superior-viaducts-reissue-of-three-seminal-albums-by-franco-battiato-fetus-pollution-and-sulle-corde-di-aries/)

The Flying Burrito Brothers' The Gilded Palace of Sin is probably the only album I'd call a perfect ten and adore every single second of.

selectivememory

Lot of good choices here. I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll just add Ys by Joanna Newsom, which always comes to my mind when people start talking about flawless albums.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 08, 2017, 11:12:46 AM
It's amazing... Mysterious, enigmatic, squelchy - yet funny, playful and catchy as fuck.

It's just had a lovely 180gm re-release too, btw.

I've been meaning to start a Battiato thread for a while.... His first three are perfect tens.... (there's a nice little review here - https://blogthehum.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/on-superior-viaducts-reissue-of-three-seminal-albums-by-franco-battiato-fetus-pollution-and-sulle-corde-di-aries/)

I am really enjoying Fetus. Good call. CaB strikes again.

Repeater

Howj Begg

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 08, 2017, 11:13:32 AM

The Flying Burrito Brothers' The Gilded Palace of Sin is probably the only album I'd call a perfect ten and adore every single second of.

It's one of my favourite albums, but goddamn if I don't skip Hippie Boy.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 08, 2017, 11:08:15 AM

Coincidentally, I finally got into it about a month back. It is brilliant. Not sure it's a 10, mind.

Quote from: Howj Begg on December 08, 2017, 12:04:14 PM
It's one of my favourite albums, but goddamn if I don't skip Hippie Boy.

Shit I actually forgot about Hippie Boy, which is probably enough of a blot to disqualify it from being a perfect ten.

Neville Chamberlain

Hmm, I forgot that one, too.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on December 08, 2017, 10:55:49 AM
Like it or not, taken as a whole Dark Side of the Moon is very much a perfect ten.

I would say Money stops it being that for me. Partly because I don't really like the song, but also because it ruins the flow of the album.

I would put Animals above it in the Perfect Pink Floyd Album stakes, and even Wish You Were Here

Twit 2

Quote from: bgmnts on December 06, 2017, 10:40:06 PM
Dream Theatre - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

I'd rate Images and Words and Something Else (essentially Kind of Blue but with Adderley's name on the cover) over those.

Absorb the anus burn

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.

Emma Raducanu

Sigur Ros - Svefn g englar

Kings of convenience - declaration of dependence

Mum - yesterday was dramatic, today is ok

Aphex twin - selected ambient works

Caribou - swim

I get a bit melodramatic taking about my favourite music because I always develop over emotional attachments to songs.

These albums were all ones I listened to over and over again, start to finish and soundtrack vivid memories of certain times of my life that no other music (whole album) can. They'll always be a perfect 10, even though I rarely listen to them anymore.

easytarget

Quote from: sweeper on December 06, 2017, 04:20:04 PM
Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Gangland though.
Which is why Seventh Son is better

Brundle-Fly

Sea Train - Sea Train (1969)

I was obsessed with this album in 1990. A hippy musician I worked with in the kitchens gave me a cassette of Sea Train and I completely wore it out.

We thought it was sooooo quaint and old sounding then. Ha! Only twenty years old.  The Chemical Brothers have been going longer than that now. Laughable.

Love everything about it. It's hillbilly, country rock, English folk, Link Wray licks, acid rock, psychedelic jazz prog that one minute sounds like a better version of The Doors, the next  a fried up Charlie Daniels Band and then evokes the theme to Catweazle.

Three highlights.

Sweet Creeks Sweet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbBLYpErkE

Sea Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0vrrC_CaiU

Pudding Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ww88l2KE4

Psmith

Lots of previously chosen on my list and I would like to add:A Nod is as Good as a Wink,After the Gold Rush and The Velvet Underground and Nico.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: phantom_power on December 08, 2017, 04:51:28 PM
I would say Money stops it being that for me. Partly because I don't really like the song, but also because it ruins the flow of the album.

I would put Animals above it in the Perfect Pink Floyd Album stakes, and even Wish You Were Here

I love Money but I'm bias being a Gilmour obsessive

bgmnts

The Best of the Beatles.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Paaaaul on December 07, 2017, 01:11:37 PM
Jay Reatard - Blood Visions
Weezer - Pinkerton

Hell yeah you're damn right about both of those.

That's reminded me (because I largely associate you as a mclusky fan or just think about myself years ago moaning at you about Future of the Left whenever I see your name), mclusky Do Dallas is nnnggghhhhh soooo close to being a perfect ten - an album that almost never lets up from making me want to bounce around the room crashing into the walls spitting the lyrics viciously and writhing about in a load of spilled lager - but Clique Application Form is such a crap song. Everything else about the record is fucking blinding and Falkous will never top the absurd brilliance of his lyrics and the way he sings them here, but I really wish they'd left that song off it. Gets skipped every time.

Still, though:

"DON'T GO FUCKIN' IN THE BARN, BECAUSE THE BARN'S ON FIIIIIIRE" <3

Paaaaul

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 09, 2017, 06:08:01 PM
Hell yeah you're damn right about both of those.

That's reminded me (because I largely associate you as a mclusky fan or just think about myself years ago moaning at you about Future of the Left whenever I see your name), mclusky Do Dallas is nnnggghhhhh soooo close to being a perfect ten - an album that almost never lets up from making me want to bounce around the room crashing into the walls spitting the lyrics viciously and writhing about in a load of spilled lager - but Clique Application Form is such a crap song. Everything else about the record is fucking blinding and Falkous will never top the absurd brilliance of his lyrics and the way he sings them here, but I really wish they'd left that song off it. Gets skipped every time.

Still, though:

"DON'T GO FUCKIN' IN THE BARN, BECAUSE THE BARN'S ON FIIIIIIRE" <3
It's Fuck This Band that prevented me putting it on my list.
The album is relentless and furious, but the one attempt to add some texture kills the flow.
(and Travels With Myself And Another is a better, more complete, album anyway)

Kane Jones

Quote from: easytarget on December 08, 2017, 09:28:37 PM
Gangland though.
Which is why Seventh Son is better

The Prophecy though. Stinker.

Howj Begg

Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going On