Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek 4 by Quentin Tarantino?

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Star Trek 3 (or 13 if you prefer) didn't do that great at the cinema, possible because of the poor quality of Star Trek 2 (or 12 if you prefer). A sequel was announced and then things went very quiet. That might be about to change.

QuoteSources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I've heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who'll hear Tarantino's take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.
http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

Two years ago on a Nerdist podcast Tarantino had this to say about the show.

QuoteTarantino explained that while he was a fan of Abrams' Star Trek, he wasn't as fond of Star Trek Into Darkness. He also said he thinks that there are episodes of The Original Series just waiting to be rebooted:

QuoteWhat I actually think could be cool—some of those episodes are fantastic and the only thing that limited them was their '60s budget and eight-day shooting schedule, and even having said that, they did a magnificent job. You could take some of the great classic Star Trek episodes and just easily expand them to 90 minutes or more and really do some amazing, amazing stuff. The obvious one would be "City on the Edge of Forever," but there's a reason everyone would go to that. It's one of the classic stories of all time, and one of the great time-travel stories.

During the same interview, Tarantino also sung the praises of The Next Generation's "Yesterday's Enterprise." Granted, that and "City on the Edge of Forever" are two of the most beloved episodes of Star Trek of all time, but it's interesting that Tarantino would drop the names of not one but two episodes about time travel.

Before things went silent on Star Trek 4 (or 14 if you prefer) it was hinted that time travel would be involved as George Kirk (killed in the opening of Star Trek (or 11 if you prefer)) would be back. Taratino has directed an episode of ER and two CSIs, but this would be the first time he'd worked on a franchise on the big screen.

Probably won't happen, but I'd watch it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Klingon motherfucker, do you speak it?

JoeyBananaduck

Well it needs a shake up, dunnit. I'm up for a Tarantino Star Trek.

JoeyBananaduck

^ Aye, probably not. Too 'risky'. Bit like when there were claims David Lynch would direct a Harry Potter.

mobias

Custard

It's like when Christopher Nolan is rumoured to be directing a Bond. I just can't see it, as him and Tarantino both like total control over their projects.

"Just a little note, Chris. The scene where Bond is beating up the Arab fella on top of the tube? We'd need to fit in a close-up of his Armani watch. Just 15 seconds Chris. And one after he saves the day at the end. Just 20, 30 seconds Chris.

...Chris?"

phantom_power

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on December 06, 2017, 12:43:41 PM
^ Aye, probably not. Too 'risky'. Bit like when there were claims David Lynch would direct a Harry Potter.

I think it is more Tarantino just shooting the shit about what he would like to do and the press taking it too seriously

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 06, 2017, 01:08:52 PM
It's like when Christopher Nolan is rumoured to be directing a Bond. I just can't see it, as him and Tarantino both like total control over their projects.

"Just a little note, Chris. The scene where Bond is beating up the Arab fella on top of the tube? We'd need to fit in a close-up of his Armani watch. Just 15 seconds Chris. And one after he saves the day at the end. Just 20, 30 seconds Chris.

...Chris?"

Product placement in Interstellar: Hamilton watch

greenman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 06, 2017, 01:08:52 PM

...Chris?"

In its favour though Trek looks to be in serious trouble meaning the suits might be more willing to take a risk and give it over to someone like Tarantino.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Tarantino's one of the few directors that's a sure thing at the box office these days, isn't he? He can even make Westerns successfully and that's about the deadest genre there is. Whether he'd be so successful minus his trademark swearing and violence is debatable, I suppose.

I liked the last Trek film. It's a shame it didn't do so well.

ajsmith2

Hope they go back into space like in the original.

marquis_de_sad

When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Tribble Storage"?

Blumf

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He could get Travolta involved. John's probably still got his Battlefield Earth costume stuffed away in the attic somewhere, so that would save a few quid.

biggytitbo

The problem with the last Star trek film is there werent enough Captain Kirks in it. Bloody stupid in this day and age to just have one Captain Kirk when you could easily have a 1000.

Bence Fekete

Not sure how effective QT's shtick would work as sci-fi seeing as how it's almost entirely culture-bound.  Sexism, racism, narcissism.  He's just about getting away with his historical roleplays but it's all still set in the recent past.  In fact I would argue his weakest work is Basterds and that's him straying too far away, geographically and linguistically, from his Americana pulp roots.   

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Blumf on December 06, 2017, 05:52:46 PM

I've only just figured out that you posted that because Tarantino has a foot fetish. Very clever, that.

St_Eddie

Lots o' voluptuous alien toes gonna get suckled upon!

Salma Hayek is set to play the voluptuous alien and Tarantino, a wish-fulfilled randy Klingon.

greenman

Quote from: Bence Fekete on December 07, 2017, 12:36:01 AM
Not sure how effective QT's shtick would work as sci-fi seeing as how it's almost entirely culture-bound.  Sexism, racism, narcissism.  He's just about getting away with his historical roleplays but it's all still set in the recent past.  In fact I would argue his weakest work is Basterds and that's him straying too far away, geographically and linguistically, from his Americana pulp roots.

Basterds would be my favourite film of his since the 90's and I think that showed an ability to work beyond pop culture banter.

Trek was well was I think always more culturally linked to the recent present than something like Star Wars, the original cast films were full of literary references and plays on modern politics. They were also generally pretty dialog/tension heavy rather than the action overload of the Abrams era.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Bence Fekete on December 07, 2017, 12:36:01 AMHe's just about getting away with his historical roleplays but it's all still set in the recent past.

Or films, as they're sometimes called.

Quote from: greenman on December 07, 2017, 07:18:16 AM
Basterds would be my favourite film of his since the 90's and I think that showed an ability to work beyond pop culture banter.

I agree.

Alberon

Deadline has followed up on their initial story.

QuoteAfter Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, Drew Pearce and Megan Amram. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I'm hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition. Most mega budget tent poles restrict the film to a PG-13 rating in an effort to maximize the audience.
http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

Also, Patrick Stewart is up for it if asked.
"People are always saying to me, 'Will you be Jean-Luc Picard again?' And I cannot think that would be possible, but there are ways in which something like that might come about," Stewart told The Hollywood Reporter at the Dubai International Film Festival. "But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr. Tarantino, I would embrace it."

Stewart added that even if he personally isn't involved, he's still intrigued by what Tarantino's version of Star Trek could look like.

"The one thing that characterizes all of his movies is that frame by frame, it always challenges, always demands your attention, always demands a very kind of open and generous response to what he does," Stewart said. "I also love his sense of humor as a filmmaker. So yes, he would be my first choice."

mothman

I'll... believe it when I see it. But maybe - just maybe - there is indeed hope. If televisual Star Trek can start dropping the F-bomb, and have Klingon nipples, then perhaps we're through the looking-glass here, and a Trek by Tarantino - an, if you will, Trekantino... no? Ah well - could be a goer.

He's obviously someone who's geared towards being a TOS fan, so I'd be surprised if he produced something with TNG (etc.) characters. But who knows? Whatever he has proposed has to have had an mpact, and I can't see anyone doing that with just a "remake <named episode> with more bios added in" pitch.

greenman

QT isn't exactly known for the nipples of course, his films tend to be surprisingly sexless considering how graphically violent they are.

As much as I'd like to see something else I think theres probably a good argument that he's likely to fit best with the style of the last 3 films, hopefully bending it towards something a little less cartoonish but still I really can't see him working in a TNG like setting.

Malcy

Details on Trek 14

https://trekmovie.com/2018/04/26/reports-paramount-looking-to-s-j-clarkson-to-direct-star-trek-4-with-chris-hemsworth-returning/

Chris Hemsworth returning in the time travel story that's been on the cards for a while.

Interesting that Tarantino's film is apparently set in a different timeline. I wonder do they mean TNG era or after or Prime Universe.

mothman

A female director. When will this madness end? (I'm joking, of course).

Alberon

Tarantino was going on in the first post there about redoing an original series episode like The City on the Edge of Forever, so I'd be really surprised to see him doing anything other than a story set on Kirk's Enterprise. He also mention's Yesterday's Enterprise which is great, but it doesn't work so well as a stand alone feature. I think if Tarantino has one shot at doing a Star Trek feature he's going to want to do it about the TOS crew.

So you could have a Star Trek 14 doing the long rumoured time travel episode in the Kelvin timeline and a completely separate film with a different cast doing Tarantino's reworking of a TOS episode. Film goers can understand that sort of thing these days and the studios won't worry about confusing potential audiences.

Sebastian Cobb

It'd be a bit difficult to stick to Roddenbery's original all-inclusive vision when Picard starts dropping n-bombs people.