Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek 4 by Quentin Tarantino?

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysnacks

We find out Kirk's bathroom habits in detail, while afrofuturist funk plays.

kalowski

Dex Sawash

mothman

Hand me my bat'leth - it's the one that says 'BAD MOTHERFUCKER' on it...

mothman

(which makes me contemplate the notion of Samuel L. playing a Klingon, and now I want this film to happen even more)

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on May 07, 2018, 09:06:32 AM
(which makes me contemplate the notion of Samuel L. playing a Klingon, and now I want this film to happen even more)

SavageHedgehog

I thought it was medically impossible to get excited by the prospect of Samuel L Jackson in 2018

(To be fair he's been good in a few things recently, particularly Hateful Eight, those Kong and Tarzan movies, and dare I say the Robocop remake)

mothman

He's not the pop culture draw he once was, but he's always good value could do quite a menacing turn if required - think his Jackie Brown and Djsngo Unchained characters combined.

SavageHedgehog

Eh, not sure I can go with always good value, he phones it in a lot and has for at least 15 years.

Malcy

This has gone a bit tits up. Both Chris Pine and Christopher Hemsworth supposedly out due to not wanting a pay cut.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-trek/news/a863693/star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-quit/

mothman

The QT film's - which would be ST5 - relationship with the Kelvinverse is a bit nebulous anyway. People have taken a few vague comments to imply his great idea was one for the alternate universe crew, which feels a bit odd to me.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on August 11, 2018, 07:14:36 AM
The QT film's - which would be ST5 - relationship with the Kelvinverse is a bit nebulous anyway. People have taken a few vague comments to imply his great idea was one for the alternate universe crew, which feels a bit odd to me.

I doubt the rest of the cast have much of a clue what's happening with the 5th film. Some seem to know nothing, others have said it was pitched as a Kelvinverse film and others say it's not.

I don't think it will ever come about really.

mothman

Exactly. I'd still like to see QT's take on Trek but the odds keep re-stacking up against it. The idea it'd be a Kelvinverse film seems nonsensical and based on utterances by cast members who probably don't have a clue, usually made during press junkets and red carpets for other things they've done (and thus the last place they'd want to be talking Star Trek). And usually then reported breathlessly by Trekmovie who have form at puting two and two together to get five.

Malcy

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on September 03, 2018, 11:28:26 AM
Karl Urban says Tarantino's story idea is 'bananas' and confirms it's a Kelvinverse cast film.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/02/karl-urban-says-quentin-tarantinos-star-trek-idea-is-bananas-needs-r-rating-for-horror-of-space/

I'd be amazed if this ever happens, can't imagine Paramount being happy with the idea of a R rated Trek film either.

Malcy

Still no news on the 4th film. Urban said during the week that he's heard nothing. Makes me think do we even need or want any more. CBS are making so much Trek now that it seems pointless to make any.

Paramount will probably want to cash in on it but with so much Trek available by the time they pull their finger out will people even care about a film?

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/10/karl-urban-wants-to-know-whats-up-with-star-trek-4-director-christopher-mcquarrie-interested-in-franchise/

greenman

At this stage I think they'd be more sensible to go the other direction and return to the style of the originals, make a Wrath of Khan style cold war sub film with a new crew

mothman

Yeah but they've already remade TWoK twice, as Nemesis and Into Darkness, and few would disagree they're two of the worst in the franchise.

Alberon

Paramount wanted to slash the budget for any fourth movie due to relative underperformance of the third taking the series back to the mid-range franchise it was in the 80s and 90s.

The top stars wouldn't take a salary cut, and why should they, so that's that.

A Tarantino film is the only possible one that could happen in the near future. It would probably be even less Trek than the other Kelvin ones but I'd still really like to see it.

mothman

As discussed in the MIB:I thread, Hemsworth's bankability would need to be seriously dented (not that it's that great - when he isn't playing Thor) to enable a drop in his asking price to guarantee his participation. Plus Pine's would have to drop as well, not sure what state his career is in. That plus the fiasco with the hiring & departure of the director, makes me think ST4 is a no-hoper. If Paramount still want to make big-screen Trek, then to stand out against the televisual Trek bloat then they need to go large. Barring his new one being a career-ending disaster, a Tarantino Trek would fit that bill. I'm confident.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I could imagine that Tarantino might also be one of those directors that actors would accept a pay cut to work with.

St_Eddie

I'd love to watch a Tarantino directed Star Trek movie and I don't think that's a good thing.  I feel bad for those who are fans of the series.  People like me should not be the target demographic.

VelourSpirit

Ehh they've made enough Star Treks, they should do whatever really. a Tarantino Star Trek that somehow isn't a spoof sounds a lot more intriguing to me.

greenman

Quote from: mothman on October 13, 2018, 08:20:53 AM
Yeah but they've already remade TWoK twice, as Nemesis and Into Darkness, and few would disagree they're two of the worst in the franchise.

Really though neither of those two was actually in the style of Khan was it? it was more taking plot elements from it and making films in the current style.

Blumf

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 02, 2019, 02:24:42 AM
Ehh they've made enough Star Treks, they should do whatever really.

No, they should stop making something that clearly isn't Star Trek but pretending it is for marketing purposes.

Who knows, free of the restrictions of the old franchise, maybe they might stumble upon a different thing that works (artistically and commercially) as well as Trek did.

Alberon

From the man himself-

QuoteI feel like I have to ask this even though I don't know if you'll want to answer. But are you going to make a Star Trek movie? Is there any truth to that?

It's a very big possibility. I haven't been dealing with those guys for a while cause I've been making my movie. But we've talked about a story and a script. The script has been written and when I emerge my head like Punxsutawney Phil, post-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we'll pick up talking about it again.

https://www.slashfilm.com/hateful-eight-netflix-miniseries/

The interview is mostly how he's cut The Hateful Eight into a four part miniseries for Netflix with about 25 minutes of new footage.

mothman

I still haven't seen hate, I wonder which version would be best to watch first..?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You know what they put on French fries on Adarak Prime instead of ketchup? Grapok sauce. I seen them do it, man, they fucking drown them in that shit.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on May 01, 2019, 06:33:50 PM
As discussed in the MIB:I thread, Hemsworth's bankability would need to be seriously dented (not that it's that great - when he isn't playing Thor) to enable a drop in his asking price to guarantee his participation. Plus Pine's would have to drop as well, not sure what state his career is in.

Pine's doing TV and supporting roles these days so he might be hungry for it before long.