Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek 4 by Quentin Tarantino?

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on May 02, 2019, 11:43:02 PM
Pine's doing TV and supporting roles these days so he might be hungry for it before long.
It was one of those posh miniseries though and he's got the Wonder Woman sequel this year, so he's probably not hard up just yet.

Never mind the Hollywood Chrises. What about Zoe Saldana? She's the lead in two other big sci-fi film series, so is she going to be particularly bothered about returning to play fifth fiddle in Trek?

mothman

Probably not. But with three to five years between Guardians films, and how much work she'll actually need to do for what's basically a CGI animated movie with a few live action elements, it's not like she'll be rushed off her feet. If anything she'd be more likely to sack off Trek just to avoid typecasting as a SF-only player.

Only just now looked at Pine's filmography. Post-ST Beyond, it's not great, is it? His TV show (is it a limited series?) is a bit of a prestige piece like many big-name actors are doing these days, so that alone doesn't mean his days as a big movie lead are over... but it may be that (ironically) where once his casting in WW was so as to to have a significant male lead attached (to quell studio jitters that "comic book nerds won't go see a movie about a GIRL"), now his inclusion in the sequel is them doing HIM a favour!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on May 03, 2019, 04:45:38 PM
Probably not. But with... how much work she'll actually need to do for what's basically a CGI animated movie with a few live action elements, it's not like she'll be rushed off her feet
It's motion capture animation though. She may not have to spend six hours having makeup applied every day, but I don't think the role requires any less of her time otherwise. And they're making something silly like four Avatar films.

Then again, she is forty, which is pensionable age for women in Hollywood, so maybe she won't be turning down roles while she can.

Mister Six

Forty! Jesus Christ, black really don't crack, eh?

Mobbd

People are still talking about this. Good thing in my book: I like Star Trek but all efforts to bring it back over the past 10 years (18 if you include Enterprise) have been quite fantastically tone-deaf. QT at least has a fucking brain and a vision. If nothing else, here's his take on the post-2009 guff:

QuoteJJ can't explain it to me. [...] I don't like it. I don't appreciate it. Fuck that. [...] Ignore it! Nobody likes it.

https://youtu.be/hrJmV2jCq20?t=14

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mobbd on August 01, 2019, 10:24:21 AM
People are still talking about this. Good thing in my book: I like Star Trek but all efforts to bring it back over the past 10 years (18 if you include Enterprise) have been quite fantastically tone-deaf. QT at least has a fucking brain and a vision. If nothing else, here's his take on the post-2009 guff:

Rewatching Enterprise right now and it's really good.  Shite first season that felt firmly ensconced in George Bush Jr.'s America (Trip even looks exactly like a blonde G.W.), but otherwise it's good shit, especially when it heats up the arcs, like every Star Trek.

Blumf

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 01, 2019, 10:30:31 AM
...especially when it heats up the arcs, like every Star Trek.

Except TOS and most of TNG. You know, the main ones.

Mister Six

bgmnts

I hope he calls it Once Upon a Time in The Final Frontier.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mobbd on August 01, 2019, 10:24:21 AM

So according to that interview, Tarantino wants to make a Star Trek film starring the actors who play Kirk and Spock in the Abrams films, but which breaks from the continuity of those films? Isn't that needlessly confusing?

Blumf

Just start it with them arriving at Vulcan to pick up Spock, who's been visiting his mam.

Clears everything up and will make a lot of people happy

bgmnts

Just do Pulp Fiction, shot by shot, but with Star Trek characters and settings.

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on August 01, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
Just do Pulp Fiction, shot by shot, but with Star Trek characters and settings.
"Check out the big brain on Worf"
"Say 'Wesley' again, mother fucker!"
"I'm the foot-fuckin'-Riker"
"Does it say 'Dead Horta Storage' outside my house?"
"Tasha Yar replicates shit fucking coffee"
"Q's dead, baby, Q's dead"
"What now?  Well let me tell you what now.  I'm gonna call a couple pipe-hittin' Cardassians, who'll go to work on Odo here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Hear me talkin' Changeling boy?! I ain't through with you by a damn sight.  I'm gonna git Romulan on your ass."

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 01, 2019, 05:28:49 PM
So according to that interview, Tarantino wants to make a Star Trek film starring the actors who play Kirk and Spock in the Abrams films, but which breaks from the continuity of those films? Isn't that needlessly confusing?

Tarantino makes the point that he loves how they channel Shatner and Nimoy's original performances. I think he sees these films as just a way of doing more with that original team in that simpler 60s vision of the Star Trek universe, not as its own timeline and with no concern for any new canon bollocks. Seems like a great way to go for me. Seen a lot of Trek nerds moaning about it but... it just sounds too interesting an idea, having Tarantino do a Star Trek. What could be more worthwhile than that? Do you want more boring throwaway rubbish? The cast is the great thing about the recent films, that's all it needs.

peanutbutter

Only just now looked at Pine's filmography. Post-ST Beyond, it's not great, is it? His TV show (is it a limited series?) is a bit of a prestige piece like many big-name actors are doing these days, so that alone doesn't mean his days as a big movie lead are over... but it may be that (ironically) where once his casting in WW was so as to to have a significant male lead attached (to quell studio jitters that "comic book nerds won't go see a movie about a GIRL"), now his inclusion in the sequel is them doing HIM a favour!
Hell or High Water was one of the most acclaimed films and he held his own alongside Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges there. Coupled with his rep as being a very pleasant guy to work with I doubt he's ever gonna be short on work. There is nearly something about him that he just comes across a bit too nice, there's a serious lack of charisma to the guy.

As far as being an A-lister, I'm honestly not sure he ever was. Even the Wonder Woman casting seems like a bit of a tactical choice, he's a name and a solid hand but there's no risk of people exiting the theatre praising his performance.

Mobbd

Quote from: bgmnts on August 01, 2019, 05:22:11 PM
I hope he calls it Once Upon a Time in The Final Frontier.

So do I. Now.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blumf on August 01, 2019, 06:58:29 PM
Just start it with them arriving at Vulcan to pick up Spock, who's been visiting his mam.

Clears everything up and will make a lot of people happy

My wife would be incredibly pleased by that

Malcy

Star Trek 4/14 is back on track but not a Tarantino project.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2019/11/star-trek-4-back-on-track-noah-hawley-to-script-direct/

QuoteParamount Pictures is in final talks with Noah Hawley to write and direct the next Star Trek film. Through his 26 Keys production banner he will produce along with JJ Abrams and his Bad Robot banner.
[The] understanding is Hawley will helm the fourth film in this iteration of the venerable franchise, with the Enterprise crew led by Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban.

Glebe

Maybe Tarantino's one should be done for TV?

samadriel

QuoteNoah Hawley

Oo, he show make good!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on November 20, 2019, 04:11:11 PM
Oo, he show make good!

I'm pleased by the news too, occasionally he fucks up (the ending to Legion wasn't all that) but the majority of the time he's a really great writer so I'm looking forward to what direction he takes the series in.

The AV Club's version of this story claimed the Tarantino film was still in development too, but I really don't care in the slightest if it does get made or not.

Alberon

It was always supposed to be a fourth rebooted Trek and whatever Tarantino wanted to do in his own film but having Noah Hawley on board in the main series is great news.

I was convinced both films were long dead and buried, but there may be life in one of them.

mjwilson

Probably not. But with three to five years between Guardians films, and how much work she'll actually need to do for what's basically a CGI animated movie with a few live action elements, it's not like she'll be rushed off her feet. If anything she'd be more likely to sack off Trek just to avoid typecasting as a SF-only player.

Come on, he's got all those Spider-man royalties rolling in.

mothman

This is obviously my week for bumping old threads. But, here we go again...

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/star-trek-chris-pine-zachary-quinto-zoe-saldana-1235021307/

Not Tarantino, not SJ Clarkson, not Noah Hawley, nope, it's Matt Shankman what did WandaVision. And a fourth Kelvinverse film. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Malcy

Yeah this is the 5th one they've announced since Beyond in 2016. Like you I'll believe it when I see it.

phantom_power

This seems to be the most concrete announcement they have made, as well as the most realistic one

I don't know what the popular opinion on Beyond is. I know it didn't get great reviews or box office. I think it is my favourite of the new lot and though stylistically different to classic Trek I think it is the one closest in spirit to the original series, It seems to get the level of fan service right compared to the first two which push it a bit too hard (par for the course with Abrams these days)

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: phantom_power on February 16, 2022, 10:34:29 AMThis seems to be the most concrete announcement they have made, as well as the most realistic one

I don't know what the popular opinion on Beyond is. I know it didn't get great reviews or box office. I think it is my favourite of the new lot and though stylistically different to classic Trek I think it is the one closest in spirit to the original series, It seems to get the level of fan service right compared to the first two which push it a bit too hard (par for the course with Abrams these days)

I enjoyed Beyond a great deal. It has all the, "I believe in peace" cheesiness that I'd expect from a Star Trek film.

I also thought that Quinto's Spock mourning Nimoy's Spock Prime was very moving and tastefully done.

greenman

The interplay between the leads I think at least felt a bit more natural without overdoing the edginess as in the Abrams films and Lin is a better director of action for sure.

phantom_power

I know it makes me a cunt for shit but I love the use of Beastie Boys as well