Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:25:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jurassic World 2: Sponsored by Budweiser

Started by Kelvin, December 08, 2017, 10:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

First trailer's out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9mMeWcgoM

Common theme with the first one seems to be dinosaurs teaming up with humans to fight evil.

Thomas

Would a carnivore pause to hunt whilst a volcano goes off over its head? Lots of annoying orchestral stabs and cuts-to-black in that trailer.

Jurassic World was a terrible film, but I think the return of the original T. rex at the conclusion was novel enough. Bringing it back again here, as some sort of extended fan service, reminds me of Spectre trying (and drastically failing) to retap the vein of 'Bond's secretive past' that was much more successfully touched upon in Skyfall. The symbolic Aston Martin should have stayed dead.

I started a thread about Jurassic World 2 a while back. Feel free to continue here, of course - just linking because there are a couple of pages of discussion there.

purlieu

This is going to be the worst film ever made.

"What can we do to make the Jurassic Park franchise last longer? I know, AN EXPLODING ISLAND!" fuck off

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Have dinosaurs gone into space yet or become vampires

Butchers Blind

The best place to build a live dinosaur theme park is of course on a volcanic island.  From the trailer this looks a dreadful mess of bad writing, bad acting and 'will this do?' sequel balls that Hollywood throws up. 

mothman

So this is basically Jurassic World 2: The Lost Park? Who's gonna play the Pete Postlethwaite character, because his "movable feast" line was literally the only good thing about that film..?

Custard

The fact that they made this so quickly after the last one doesn't bode well, does it?

Still, if Bryce Dallas Howard is soaking wet in it again, then here's my tenner

Zetetic

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 08, 2017, 05:20:28 PM
The best place to build a live dinosaur theme park is of course on a volcanic island.
I hope that this is what Jeff Goldblum has been called to testify about.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on December 08, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
First trailer's out.

I'm loving the blue and orange tinting that's going on there.  Very unique visual style.

Replies From View

The three musical notes dee-da-da repeated throughout that trailer might be nicked from one of the Nolan Batman films.  The refrain; it's not an actual sample.

Glad the T-Rex is making the correct noise, but other than that I'm not fussed.  I'm genuinely surprised that people still bother with CGI monster movies these days.  If you like that kind of thing, there are computer games that put you directly into the action yourself.

mobias

Quote from: Replies From View on December 08, 2017, 06:32:51 PM

Glad the T-Rex is making the correct noise, but other than that I'm not fussed.  I'm genuinely surprised that people still bother with CGI monster movies these days.  If you like that kind of thing, there are computer games that put you directly into the action yourself.

I'd say the same thing about most special effects heavy movies these days. All these Star Wars sequels and spin off movies could quite as easily just be big long linear single player games.

Glebe

Serge

Is Goldblum only going to be in the courtroom scenes, then? I suppose I couldn't see a plausible way they'd get him back onto a dino-filled island for a third time, but then plausibility isn't exactly a strong part of these films. From that trailer it looks as if, like 'JW', it's just reshot highlights from the earlier films. With a bad CGI volcano exploding behind them.

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on December 08, 2017, 06:27:50 PMI'm loving the blue and orange tinting that's going on there.  Very unique visual style.

There's a lot of dinosaurs in this one though, which should keep Biggy happy.

Bleeding Kansas

This clearly should have been about the massive court case that would surely have happened due to all those people getting killed in the first one. It would be called 'Jurassic World 2: Every One Goes to Jail' and it would have no dinosaurs in it at all (apart from any dinosaur stuff used as evidence).

Movie gold.

Custard

And it should be 16 hours long, with Jurassic World playing before it

Newman turns up as the host, but no one recognises him as he is thin again

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mothman on December 08, 2017, 06:06:33 PM
So this is basically Jurassic World 2: The Lost Park? Who's gonna play the Pete Postlethwaite character, because his "movable feast" line was literally the only good thing about that film..?

Jurassic World makes Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World look like a masterpiece.

The tension cranked up in the cliff scene in Lost World is as basic and derivative a scenario as you could ask for but that still managed to generate suspense. JW2 didn't have any of that.

The little dinosaurs killing that dude slowly was a macabre and grisly scene mixing cute with complacency and even fun, then a growing terror eventually desperation. That showed an inherent understanding of the emotional dynamics and it is directed accordingly. JW didn't have any of that.

JW fundamentally misunderstood what aspects of Jurassic Park people liked, while showing a fundamental misunderstanding (possibly worse, an ignorance), aside of simply the audience demands, of what made Jurassic Park effective, ie. how to generate tension or make you care about the characters or eventual outcome. I think that's a royal flush of how to fail in film making.

Kelvin

Someone's re-cut the Jurassic World 2 trailer, to emphasise everything the official trailer did wrong:

https://vimeo.com/246464807/cac023d811

What's interesting is just how differently those same shots play in the re-cut trailer. How differently they build atmosphere and tone, instill a greater sense of quality, and avoid spoilers. 

Serge

Oddly, that trailer has made it look even worse than I feared, as I somehow didn't notice that there is a little girl amongst the people on the island - seriously, after everything that's happened between people and dinosaurs in this franchise, what ridiculous contrivance have they come up with where someone thinks taking their kid to an island with an active volcano and dinosaurs is a good idea? I suppose, going with JW's constant cannibalising of the JP movies, she'll conceal herself inside a vehicle and only make her presence known when they get there, as Malcolm's daughter did in 'Lost World'.

Replies From View

Surprised that movies need sponsorship these days.  Don't the studios make billions of pounds from the films they make?  You'd think they'd have enough cash to make franchises that don't need to be compromised by bloody enormous Budweiser signage.

Glebe

Quote from: Kelvin on December 08, 2017, 10:10:34 AMFirst trailer's out.

RE: My 'shit trailer' comment... I saw a trail that was just the loads of dinosaurs bit, didn't click on your link because I'd assumed I'd seen the trailer proper... still think it could have been done with a bit more tension and excitement. These days, you see a ton of dinosaurs and you just go, 'CGI'. Needs a bit of more imagination and atmos, lads.

BritishHobo

Jurassic World was a shit film that lucked out with a good premise. I really loved the idea of setting it at an open version of the theme park, and that meant I overlooked a lot of, on reflection, absolute bollocks in the film. This film doesn't even have that going for it, because it's lost the novel premise and just fallen back on 'back to dino island we go'.

There might be some fun in seeing abandoned, overgrown theme park rides, 'cos I love that shit (seeing the abandoned tourist centre in the last film was fun, I thought), but everything else about it looks pointless and generic and same old.

I'm still staggered by how utterly charmless Jurassic World made Chris Pratt, someone who put a grin on my face every week in Parks and Rec. They were so desperately going for an aloof Indiana Jones type, but it was all so stilted. And Bryce Dallas Howard being a career lady who learns she'll want kids one say. A far fucking cry from the characters in the original.

BritishHobo

Even the courtroom scene looks like a way to get some goodwill by doing a passionate Jeff Goldblum speech. Like when he shouts at Hammond in the original! Remember that?

Bhazor

That looked like ass. But so was World and people loved that shit.

Steven

Why can't they just make it a courtroom drama featuring dinosaurs? Just the right quotient of exposition plus big scaley lizards for the mouth-breathers. Some sort of industrial class action case against Jurassic Park LTD for building the park on a fucking volcano, putting their claws on the Bible and swearing oaths and that. The T-Rex found in comtept of court "You're out of order! The whole freakin' system's out of order!"

Glebe

Quote from: Steven on December 09, 2017, 06:59:05 PMWhy can't they just make it a courtroom drama featuring dinosaurs? Just the right quotient of exposition plus big scaley lizards for the mouth-breathers. Some sort of industrial class action case against Jurassic Park LTD for building the park on a fucking volcano, putting their claws on the Bible and swearing oaths and that. The T-Rex found in comtept of court "You're out of order! The whole freakin' system's out of order!"

"You can't handle the dinosaurs!"

up_the_hampipe

"My client may have tiny arms, but he has a big heart..."

mothman