Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Happy! S1 - Based on Grant Morrison graphic novel from the co-director of Crank!

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 08, 2017, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Here's some brief previous discussion of this: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,55027.0/nowap.html - but I thought it deserved it's own thread as the pilot is all a bit special. For those unaware of the comic, Meloni plays an ex-cop and current hitman who after a violent incident begins to see a small blue flying horse thing (voiced by Patton Oswalt) who implores him to help find a kidnapped child.

I had misgivings in the other thread as I found the graphic novel to be fairly weak, Mark Millar-esque nonsense, but so far the show is a hell of a lot more fun. You can clearly see the influence Crank co-director Brian Taylor brings to it, it's shot at a impressively fast pace and it looks quite stunning as well. Christopher Meloni is bloody superb in the lead role, bringing a hell of a lot of charisma to the character which wasn't there in the comic, whilst the realisation of Happy! is incredibly effective, with Patton Oswalt's on top top form. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep up the level of absurdity (and perversity for that matter) for the entire run, but the pilot at least impressed me a great deal.

Norton Canes

Small Man Big Horse

Norton Canes

Zenith!

Such a shame that planned (BBC?) TV adaptation of The Invisibles didn't go ahead in the 90's. It was perfect for the small screen, with its mixture of oddball Avengers-ish weirdness and surreal horror.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 08, 2017, 03:01:57 PM
Zenith!

Such a shame that planned (BBC?) TV adaptation of The Invisibles didn't go ahead in the 90's. It was perfect for the small screen, with its mixture of oddball Avengers-ish weirdness and surreal horror.

Yeah, I think it would have been a lot of fun and there's no reason why the budget would have to have been shockingly high. But hey, if Happy! is a success then maybe it'll kick off a Morrison frenzy, and we might even get a $150 million Hollywood version of Sebastian O!

Mister Six

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 08, 2017, 03:01:57 PM
Zenith!

BBC Scotland, IIRC - and passed up in favour of another series Chewin' the Fat.

Phil_A

Where are people watching this? All my usual sources have come up with nothing, although it doesn't help that the name brings up thousands of incorrect search results.

olliebean

Quote from: Phil_A on December 10, 2017, 09:12:28 AM
Where are people watching this? All my usual sources have come up with nothing, although it doesn't help that the name brings up thousands of incorrect search results.

A search for "Happy 2017 s01e01" should find it.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's already renewed for season two.

Patton Oswalt's performance reminds me of one of his stand up routines about requests from TV producers to tone down his language, so his lines would be "clean", which results in him using a lot of childish circumlocutions for jizz and stuff like that, which was clean for TV but actually sounds much creepier. That's the same voice he uses for Happy.

https://youtu.be/IbALbZ9bHFU

And Patrick Fischler's performance was superb. He tends to play slimy or shady guys, but it was a delight to see him go full psycho.

Head Gardener

have only just heard about this and am nearly done with season 1, it's become one of my fave shows this year

bgmnts

I only really know Grant Morrison from his X Men work and it doesnt butter my parsnips but maybe it will be good.