Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that cut a bit too close to the bone

Started by Z, December 10, 2017, 12:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

There's a French film called The Man Who Sleeps that is pretty much thee essence of understimulated anomie the likes of which I'm sure anyone who spends too much time on a forum can relate to.  That's almost a sub-genre unto itself- unexistentialism- that applies to a bunch of French films like The Fire Within, but also the Brits did quite a few good stabs at it like the excellent Herostratus and Little Malcolm & His Struggle Against the Eunuchs.  The Man Who Sleeps, though...that is way too close to hearing your own inner-dialogue when the concept of feeling any emotion beyond an all-consuming world-weariness seems like the stuff of myth.

itsfredtitmus

I couldn't relate to The Man Who Sleeps because the guy actually leaves his house

mrpupkin

Synecdoche New York's depiction of a man unable to navigate or understand the reality he finds himself in feels pretty close to home and gets me in the gut every time. His inability to shape his life or his art into anything coherent or meaningful, and his miserable obsession with himself and his own disintegration. Oof. Although in a strange way I find all of this comforting rather than uncomfortable, and watch it often as a kind of comfort blanket. So the opposite of what this thread is about.