Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ye Olde NME clippings

Started by Head Gardener, December 12, 2017, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I came across a box of old NME's from 1968 - 1977 and flicking through, several articles/ads/gigs took my eye
and as I have started posting these on another forum I hope they might be enjoyed here too. They are kinda out of order
but I reckon it's easy to work out if they were from 68 - 70 or 77

Dr Syntax Head

king_tubby

That Rod Stewart LP cover. Dear oh dear.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

more NME clippings, Apple Records put these 3 curious ads in the paper in '68

these ones are from 68/70

Head Gardener

1969 to 72

NME taking the piss out of Genesis as early as '72

Roxy Music perform the day after their debut LP was released

king_tubby

wosl

These are great.  I've got a decent bundle of music papers from the late '80s through to the mid '90s in the loft, the vast majority being Melody Makers.  I ought to get them down and make scans before wasps and/or mice reduce them to shreds.  This site features scans from papers drawn from the same period I was buying, but it's been dormant for a while, and there are plenty of gaps to be filled.  It's finding the time.

Head Gardener

manticore

Of course there's Rock's Backpages, which has a huge range of old music press articles, for ONLY £120 a year.

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/

Bennett Brauer

Cheers to the Countercultural Horticulturalist (who I like to imagine resembles the Lone Groover in real life) for the ace pics.

That Rod Stewart cover was 2 or 3 months after the Blind Faith one (which obviously did get flak at the time). Did it slip under the net, or was it tolerated because it took the piss out of perverts, and society was less po-faced and self-righteous then?

Chriddof

So many extraordinary things here. Ozzy's language being described as "fruity" (was just about able to read that) is something of a highlight for me. I've never seen Status Quo's name being shortened to "Status" before. That Bowie / Boots ad is great in how weirdly down to earth it is - and Penny Valentine could clearly spot a good "disc", god rest her soul.

The "punk leathers" bloke really needed to shave that 'tache off before he could get accepted as punk. He'd resemble Steve Jones then, a bit. Agreed at how great the Suicide ads are. And those Apple Corps ads, wow. Imagine something like that taking up a page of Zombie NME, amongst all the other adverts for... actually, I have no idea what ads they have in it anymore. Is Wella Shockwaves hair gel still sponsoring something in it, or was that discontinued once the indie landfill was officially full?

Head Gardener

more early 70's NME clippings

followed by this full page ad in same issue!

Head Gardener

The Culture Bunker

I wonder if anyone got sacked for the typo in the Tom Petty ad?

Brundle-Fly

Brilliant stuff, Head!

Found these in a charity shop recently. Choice.

I have nothing to add to the thread, only to thank Head Gardener for this thread. Great posts.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

all 1978

Head Gardener

DB promotion was in overdrive in 1978

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Gregory Torso

What an amazing thread. I love seeing scans of old music mags from any era. Anyone got any old Maximum Rock'n'Rolls? My friends and I used to piss ourselves laughing over some of the band names that turned up.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Tull heavy late 60's early 70's