Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The evisceration of Jim Davidson

Started by Utter Shit, December 13, 2017, 09:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 13, 2017, 01:44:38 PM
So Davidson's claim that a mucky panto had never been done before was false?
Seems that way.
Is Charlie Drake the father of racist comedian Andrew Lawrence ?

ieXush2i

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 13, 2017, 03:48:04 PM
Not much to say really, he's just always come across as a pretty nasty bloke on here and Twitter. I believe a few people on here who know his personally say he's a good egg, but both interacting with him and watching from afar I wouldn't have much good to say about him.

Ah fair enough, thought you might have some specifics rather than a general "I don't like him" vibe thing.

Quote from: Cuellar on December 13, 2017, 02:34:12 PM
Jesus that Charlie Drake story (the cupboard) is incredible. I really really hope it is true.

Here's yer proof.  This footage sometimes gets shown on those "It was acceptable behaviour back in the day" list shows on Channel 4.

Isnt Anything

That's the bookcase story not the cupboard story. Two different things and I hadn't heard the cupboard one before.

The other thing I learnt today from that Storify was that the bookcase thing was allegedly deliberate in other words the chippy refastening the dummy bookshelf wasn't an accident he did it maliciously because nobody could stand Drake.

Quote from: Isnt Anything on December 13, 2017, 04:42:03 PM
That's the bookcase story not the cupboard story. Two different things and I hadn't heard the cupboard one before.

My mistake.  I wonder if there's more than two cases of Drake experiencing a furniture comeuppance?

Phil_A

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 13, 2017, 03:48:04 PM
Not much to say really, he's just always come across as a pretty nasty bloke on here and Twitter. I believe a few people on here who know his personally say he's a good egg, but both interacting with him and watching from afar I wouldn't have much good to say about him.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Louis is a thoroughly good egg and a fine drummer.

He can be extremely bullish in his opinions which can get people's backs up who don't know him. But honestly, he's a sweetheart.

Bennett Brauer

If you can find a better source of third-hand apocryphal stories in the business, I'll eat my signed photo of Ned Sherrin.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on December 13, 2017, 04:39:17 PM
Here's yer proof.  This footage sometimes gets shown on those "It was acceptable behaviour back in the day" list shows on Channel 4.

Interesting to see Michael Aspel's name appear in the credits at the end of the Drake coma-show

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Phil_A on December 13, 2017, 06:43:34 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but Louis is a thoroughly good egg and a fine drummer.

He can be extremely bullish in his opinions which can get people's backs up who don't know him. But honestly, he's a sweetheart.

It's just huge nonsense. I met him once outside of cab and he was warm, generous and a rip-roaring raconteur. And completely pissed. I bet anyone who used to go to meets alongside him would agree with all of that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I would just like to echo the FACT that Louis is a lovely, funny, kind soul. A thoroughly decent chap.

Bhazor

Careful mate. Keep talking like that and I'll definitely start thinking he has historic abuse accusations.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 13, 2017, 09:52:45 AM
I could have sworn there was a relatively recent Jim Davidson thread but Google suggests nothing since 2014.

Anyway, this review of Jim's critically-acclaimed 1995 sex romp panto Sinderella appeared on my Twitter feed yesterday, and it's bloody brilliant.

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/i-watched-jim-davidsons-adult-panto/

There's a Jim Davidson music album? fucks sake.
https://www.discogs.com/Jim-Davidson-The-Jim-Davidson-Album/release/6538556

eta: and that review essay is amazing - oh and they have to be (or should be) one of us.

Also Sinderella was the Lee from Peters and Lee? fuck me. (if my Gran had known...)

so the cast was Jim Davidson, Lee from Peters and Lee, the crap version of Berterelli from Allo Allo who was also behind this embarrassing bit of nonsense The Umpire strike back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlebiY_F-4 (just literally gone Oh my god out loud) , "Jess Conrad, dressed here like Evel Knievel, with a massive dick-bulge in the front of his tights", a random who "seems like someone they found manning the till at B&Q" & a pissed Charlie Drake. hilariously shit.

eta:
"Charlie Drake's visible contempt for the material, the audience, and himself for participating, makes this one of the great/tragic drunken late-career performances."

This really is brilliant writing.
"If Davidson wanted to emulate a British Christmas institution, he's unintentionally succeeded, as it perfectly captures the grim, amateur tedium of sitting through a school nativity. Perhaps the whole thing is a Jacob's Ladder deathbed vision of Charlie Drake, still laying on the floor of that studio in 1961, bleeding out from a fatal head-wound, as gaffers stand around to watch him die."

eta again: and it's got the ultimate punchline (in the comments) - Rod Liddle (or somebody claiming to be him) saying cunt.

was going to comment on how great his piece is but it'lll ruin it.

studpuppet

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 13, 2017, 11:00:33 AM
Nice. Charlie Drake and a black Dildo.

I'd like to think that if you went up to a swanky bar and asked for these, you'd get a couple of ace cocktails placed in front of you.

imitationleather

Quote from: jenna appleseed on December 14, 2017, 08:40:29 AM
The Umpire strike back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlebiY_F-4 (just literally gone Oh my god out loud)

Arrrrgh. Not heard that for so long. I used to play that to people as an endurance test, a bit like how kids do with 3 guys 1 hammer now.

Just the worst music ever made.

Jobey

You fuckers have got me down a Davidson wormhole now.
This guy sure put out a lot of content over the years.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Bhazor on December 13, 2017, 10:28:40 AM
Top comment is of course
"Exile 89 7 months ago
Good ol English humour. Shame it's now branded "racist" or "politically incorrect" R.i.p England and our great humour"

Also from the comments: "PROPER naughty British humour......You won't be allowed this when we get sharia law !!!...........FUCK THE MUSLIMS !!"

As if you'd need to be a fanatical Muslim to notice that Jimbo's panto is a festering turd pie.

JoeyBananaduck

Check out the latest blog on his official website if you're feeling brave. Goldmine.

kalowski

QuoteHave you noticed annoying things in hotels?, like having to make your own toast and your own tea. And then serve yourself some dried out bacon and a piece of fried egg that looks as if you could make a  frisbee out of it.

And then you sit in the lobby with a  cup of tea, try desperately to get on the  Wi-Fi that is slower than a snail, and try and catch up on your emails while people clean and vacuum around you. I asked the receptionist." Am I getting in the way?" "No" she said with a smile and complete missed the point of why I asked her.

Pillows. Why do hotels buy the cheapest pillows they can find? I've had a stiff neck for three months.
"Observational comedy!"

Kelvin

I've never heard that "good as you" thing before. Is that a well known homophobic slur from back in the day? Everyone at the table reacted to it, so I'm surprised I've never heard it before.

edit: looking on google, it seems like it's a suggested etymology for the word gay.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Jobey on December 14, 2017, 03:23:07 PM
You fuckers have got me down a Davidson wormhole now.
This guy sure put out a lot of content over the years.

Indeed, content which includes this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

Replies From View

November 1983, Davidson appears briefly at the start of this Children in Need clip.  Wittering away about people with Brummy accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RtOxpkBQw

His fame is bewildering.  Absolutely no creativity, talent or intelligence, but given a public platform to spout off and feel smug.  How?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kelvin on December 14, 2017, 10:32:49 PM
I've never heard that "good as you" thing before. Is that a well known homophobic slur from back in the day? Everyone at the table reacted to it, so I'm surprised I've never heard it before.

edit: looking on google, it seems like it's a suggested etymology for the word gay.

Nah, I believe 'gay', meaning 'homosexual' has been documented as becoming somewhat mainstream since the 30s/40s, and had sexual connotations long before that. It was only relatively recently (60s/70s?) that some gay fellas decided you could acronymonise it as a way of making a point.

Lesbians had a go but couldn't come up with anything, which was Patriarchy's fault.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Jobey on December 14, 2017, 03:52:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YDyAs5K5rs
Jim Davidson V Gay Boy lol

The other people sitting round the table did an amazingly bad job of sticking up for 'Gay Boy lol' bloke.

Kelvin

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on December 15, 2017, 12:45:10 AM
The other people sitting round the table did an amazingly bad job of sticking up for 'Gay Boy lol' bloke.

I don't think that's entirely fair. The girls were barely able to get a word in, but were consistently backing up and supporting Brian. And Brian himself was already doing an excellent job of identifying Davidson's lies and hypocrisies. Only the other bloke seemed unwilling to get involved.

Chriddof

The original article (which is brilliant) mentions at one point how Davidson's CBB stint was "weirdly successful". As was mentioned on here at the time, that was because the owner of Channel 5 during his stay was Richard Desmond - one of Davidson's old friends.

JoeyBananaduck

The Dowling clip is genuinely upsetting to this day, to me. Brian has the wimpy and effeminate thing that rubs some people up the wrong way (particularly people of Davidson's generation), and I suppose he's less of a bona fide 'celeb' than him but that's no defence. Dowling's so clearly actually upset and Jim just sits their like a cold, emotionless bully who doesn't have so much as a passing acquaintance with empathy.

I don't agree that his teammates or whatever they are don't rally round him though. The women in particular are supportive.