Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 10, 2019, 10:10:59 PM
ITV missed John Barnes scoring THAT goal against Brazil.
https://youtu.be/0sA0ItpsnyU

being a very lapsed fan, one of the few joys I get from football is when things have earned the status of being a THAT. such a pleasure in seeing the bare minimum of information creating a clear picture in so many heads

touchingcloth

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 06, 2019, 04:28:46 PM
being a very lapsed fan, one of the few joys I get from football is when things have earned the status of being a THAT. such a pleasure in seeing the bare minimum of information creating a clear picture in so many heads

Remember when Eric Cantona did THAT rape?

Lordofthefiles

bgmnts

Mad Max Fury Road was conceived and storyboarded in the mid 90s. No wonder its so good.

zomgmouse

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2019, 09:22:10 PM
Mad Max Fury Road was conceived and storyboarded in the mid 90s. No wonder its so good.

Definitely a film that benefited greatly from development hell.

The Lurker

The Krays' autobiographies were ghostwritten by Fred Dinenage

a duncandisorderly

came here to post this because it doesn't really belong in the columbo thread, but-
the very first episode of the columbo tv series proper, as distinct from the tv play & the pilot, was directed by steven spielberg, in his directorial debut aged 24.

zomgmouse

I feel like someone has already posted thus upthread but I realised yesterday - not that I didn't know this but I realised it - that chandeliers used to have candles in them. It's (almost) literally in their name. It was then pointed out to me that because they had to be manually lit they were hoisted up and down and that's why you can swing on them.

zomgmouse

Realised too late to edit but my above post was meant for the obvious things thread not this one SORRY 

Icehaven

Baldrick didn't say ''I have a cunning plan'' until the third series.

MiddleRabbit

Icehaven

The (just deceased) actress that played Minnie Mouse's voice was married to the actor that played Mickey mouse's voice. She also played Martin on The Simpsons.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on July 24, 2019, 04:44:07 PM
Baldrick didn't say ''I have a cunning plan'' until the third series.

He did. He definitely said it before the first series, and I think he said it between the second and third as well.

object-lesson

'Meander' is a noun as well as a verb. I was very happy to find that out the other day, though I suppose it's not actually amazing.

Norton Canes

It's a type of agricultural engineer, according to The Housemartins.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: object-lesson on July 28, 2019, 06:09:19 PM
'Meander' is a noun as well as a verb. I was very happy to find that out the other day, though I suppose it's not actually amazing.
Part of a river, yes?

Icehaven

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on July 26, 2019, 03:19:35 PM
Apart from series one.

http://blackadderquotes.com/i-have-a-cunning-plan

Oh, well this article I read it in was wrong then (hardly surprising, it is The Guardian.)
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jul/23/what-do-actors-really-think-of-their-catchphrases-richard-wilson-maureen-lipman-tony-robinson

QuoteIt was during the third series of the period sitcom Blackadder that Robinson, who played the dim and unhygienic Baldrick, first uttered the line that was to become his catchphrase. "The words 'plan' and 'cunning plan' had cropped up a few times before I took ownership of them," recalls the actor, now 72. "In the script, Baldrick's line was simply, 'I have a plan.' I asked if I could add 'cunning' because that worked better rhythmically. Also 'cunning' is slightly archaic and 'plan' you can stretch out. The first time I said it, I thought, 'This could turn into a catchphrase.'"

object-lesson

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 29, 2019, 12:37:45 PM
Part of a river, yes?

Yes, a meander is the part on a river where it meanders. I find this very pleasing.

FredNurke

So called because of the eponymous river Meander in Turkey, which (in classical times) zigzagged all over the place. Don't know whether it still does.

studpuppet

Quote from: FredNurke on July 30, 2019, 10:41:43 AM
So called because of the eponymous river Meander in Turkey, which (in classical times) zigzagged all over the place. Don't know whether it still does.

It's good, but it's no Cuckmere Haven.

zomgmouse

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: FredNurke on July 30, 2019, 10:41:43 AM
Nice. I'll be impressing my friends later with that. *thumb*

kalowski

The first man to fly faster than the speed of sound, Chuck Yeager, is still alive.
He's 96.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2019, 11:11:54 PM
The first man to fly faster than the speed of sound, Chuck Yeager, is still alive.
He's 96.

That reminds me of my favorite Buzz Aldrin quote "There is only room in the air force for one chuck Yeager".

kalowski

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 09, 2019, 11:18:05 PM
That reminds me of my favorite Buzz Aldrin quote "There is only room in the air force for one chuck Yeager".
He couldn't be an astronaut as he'd not been to college and wasn't an engineer.

touchingcloth

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2019, 11:11:54 PM
He's 96.

The film The Right Stuff is well worth watching, with a turn by Sam Shepard as Yeager.