Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2019, 11:25:16 PM
He couldn't be an astronaut as he'd not been to college and wasn't an engineer.

Sounds like the shittest man ever

Kalabi

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 11, 2019, 10:07:36 AM
The film The Right Stuff is well worth watching, with a turn by Sam Shepard as Yeager.

I read the book years ago, didn't Yeager break the sound barrier with a broken arm as well? I seem to remember he broke it while drunkenly riding a stolen horse.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Kalabi on August 12, 2019, 02:52:42 PM
I read the book years ago, didn't Yeager break the sound barrier with a broken arm as well? I seem to remember he broke it while drunkenly riding a stolen horse.

He broke the sound barrier drunkenly riding a stolen horse?

Kalabi

Pseudopath

I was just reading about Kate Winslet learning freediving for her upcoming role in Avatar 2 and was surprised to learn that she can hold her breath for seven minutes. "Crikey! That's a bloody long time", I thought, "I bet that's not far off the world record. I wonder how long that is?". So I looked it up...

TWENTY-FOUR MINUTES!!!!

Fuck me.

olliebean

On the subject of world records, found out this morning from John Oliver that the Guinness Book of Records is a big scam; they'll design a new record especially for you to break if you pay them enough money, and also apparently refuse to send someone to verify a record on occasion for obviously specious reasons.

touchingcloth

Ghislaine Maxwell is the daughter of the man who invented Maxwell House.

Not really, but while googling the actual inventor of Maxwell House I came across this newspaper article title from his obituary:

QuoteJoel Cheek, 83, Coffee King, Is Called By Death

What a pleasing collection of names and other words.

Ferris

It sounds like he's being outed as the creative force behind glam-goth outfit, Called By Death.

mojo filters

Quote from: olliebean on August 12, 2019, 10:59:02 PM
On the subject of world records, found out this morning from John Oliver that the Guinness Book of Records is a big scam; they'll design a new record especially for you to break if you pay them enough money, and also apparently refuse to send someone to verify a record on occasion for obviously specious reasons.

I was highly entertained as usual by John Oliver's excellent sideways take on a serious issue, however I was not surprised.

The Guinness Book Of World Records has always been dodgy. I first remember controversies involving Norris McWhirter when that Roy Castle show was on kids TV. I can't remember the specific incident, but this seems to sum up my vague memories of his questionable politics:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/norris-mcwhirter-alt-right-guinness-book-records

I guess the key question is whether the messenger affected the message?

John Oliver's work clearly indicated there's nothing honest about the current operation, but do McWhirter's dubious politics throw the whole history of this endeavour into question?

If Roy Castle was still alive, I suspect he could offer a short two note descending burst from his trumpet to confirm my suspicions!

However I'd be reticent in spreading any story undermining the previous work documenting spurious world records. It seems like the perfect match to light a fire under vacuous reality TV producers, giving them cause to further pollute our screens with new attempts at pointless endeavours.

One exception to the latter could be that the whole notion of these supposed world records are no longer valid, thus promoting singular attempts to burn the largest number of those dumb Guinness World Record books I recall receiving as Christmas and birthday presents as a child.

To be fair, were Guinness to attempt to buy me off via an attempt to compete with fellow drinkers, to set a world record for the most amount of Guinness to ever be drunk - I'd forgive all and participate with gusto and confidence!

Cerys

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 13, 2019, 08:57:47 AM

QuoteJoel Cheek, 83, Coffee King, Is Called By Death

What a pleasing collection of names and other words.

The burning question is whether or not Death reversed the charges.  I bet it did, the cheapskate.

kalowski

I knew about the Gazza moment in the Raoul Moat story, but today I learnt that the police brought in Ray Mears to help track Moat's movement. I don't think it helped.

Blue Jam

biggytitbo

Jurgen Klopp's surname sounds like 'klopp' but its actually 'Hitler'.

Blue Jam

biggytitbo

JesusAndYourBush

I get the reference.  In fact for months now, whenever I hear his name mentioned on the radio I can't help answering with a 'Klopp'.  Sometimes I even do the salute.

biggytitbo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 16, 2019, 07:11:07 PM
I get the reference.  In fact for months now, whenever I hear his name mentioned on the radio I can't help answering with a 'Klopp'.  Sometimes I even do the salute.

I love you.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 16, 2019, 07:11:07 PM
Not just me then....

Icehaven

Just started 'Suprisingly Down To Earth...' and discovered the whole Millport thing is real.

bgmnts

Quote from: icehaven on August 24, 2019, 12:11:19 PM
Just started 'Suprisingly Down To Earth...' and discovered the whole Millport thing is real.

Aye its weird how much it actually meant to him and he bunged it in a silly sketch.

I found his assessment of attitudes to sex at a young brutally honest and I found myself nodding and agreeing with everything it said and it depressed the fuck out of me.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 24, 2019, 12:12:53 PM
Aye its weird how much it actually meant to him and he bunged it in a silly sketch.

That's one of my favourites from him, it really resonates with me - not funny in any way however

Icehaven

This might be a Frank Beardism as it seems like it'd be a famous fact that's just passed me by somehow, but: Bea Arthur was actually a year older than Estelle Getty despite them playing Mother (Getty) and daughter (Arthur) in The Golden Girls.

Twed

Similarly, Lionel Jeffries was younger than Dick Van Dyke.

Dick Van Dyke fascinates me anyway. He's 43 there. 43 in a movie released in 1968, and somehow still going strong. He's also a 3D animator.

Twed

The Hitachi Magic Wand really was designed as a general massage tool. It's not just something people say as a slightly jokey way of covering up its real use.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twed on August 25, 2019, 07:57:33 PM
The Hitachi Magic Wand really was designed as a general massage tool. It's not just something people say as a slightly jokey way of covering up its real use.

It can be both.

Ambient Sheep

Yes, and allegedly Hitachi are horrified as to its alternate use and disavow it at any opportunity.

I'm told that the Doxy is even better though, by people who have tried both.  Not cheap, but has the advantage of (a) not needing a voltage converter and (b) not being a knock-off from China that might ram 230V up your sensitive bits if it gets roughly handled.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 25, 2019, 09:25:35 PM
Yes, and allegedly Hitachi are horrified as to its alternate use and disavow it at any opportunity.

I'm told that the Doxy is even better though, by people who have tried both.  Not cheap, but has the advantage of (a) not needing a voltage converter and (b) not being a knock-off from China that might ram 230V up your sensitive bits if it gets roughly handled.

The Doxy is by far the better back massager.

Twed

Does the Hitachi run AC straight into the device? Moisture and mains isn't a good mix.

kalowski