Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Twed on August 25, 2019, 10:14:45 PM
Does the Hitachi run AC straight into the device? Moisture and mains isn't a good mix.

Yeah they all do, staggeringly.  Hitachi, Doxy, cheap Chinese copies... hence my worries about the latter at least.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: kalowski on August 25, 2019, 10:23:15 PM
Which is better at making you cum?

Me personally?

Why are you people worried about the mains? How wet are you planning on getting? You personally.

Twed

OCD. I know it's not a real danger but I obsess over the possibility.

bgmnts

What if you trip over a piece of lego and shredded by a passing thresher?

Twed

That's fine, that's me and not somebody else.

The other concern with the Hitachi is getting sold a dangerous Chinese knock-off.

(I'm aware I just said "Chinese knock-off" in a sexual context)

QDRPHNC

That's why you buy it from a reputable dealer, if you have those in NH.

kalowski

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 26, 2019, 01:51:14 AM
Me personally?

Why are you people worried about the mains? How wet are you planning on getting? You personally.
Well, I probably meant which is better at making one cum?
Not a phrase is ever expected to write...

zomgmouse

Quote from: kalowski on August 26, 2019, 08:43:46 AM

Only one?

Norton Canes

The BBC designer originally assigned to work on the first Doctor Who story to feature the Daleks in 1963 was Ridley Scott

He left to pursue his directorial career before starting work on the story and colleague Raymond Cusick was given the job of designing the series' most familiar adversaries.

DrGreggles

England didn't win the cricket tournament yesterday - they equalised in the series and still have to play again.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: kalowski on August 26, 2019, 08:43:46 AM

The Hitachi is the Toyota, Doxy is the Lexus. Both will get you where you need to go.

Nobody Soup

The Elo rating system isn't ELO, standing for some crazy mathematical acronym, it's Elo, after Arpad Elo who invented it.

studpuppet

The Grateful Dead sponsored the (eventually bronze medal-winning) Lithuanian basketball team at the 1992 Olympics, even providing them with their kit...

https://sportshistoryweekly.com/stories/lithuania-basketball-olympics-nba-grateful-dead,622

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Kalabi on August 12, 2019, 02:52:42 PM
I read the book years ago, didn't Yeager break the sound barrier with a broken arm as well? I seem to remember he broke it while drunkenly riding a stolen horse.

bruised ribs.
the flight engineer, from whom yeager scrounged a stick of gum before many flights, arranged a short piece of broom handle in the X-1's cockpit so that yeager would be able to lever the canopy closed.

yeager's own autobiography is somewhat dismissive of the yarns spun by wolfe & kaufmann respectively, though some of his other exploits (escaping over the mountains into france after being shot down, with an injured colleague) are just as heroic as anything he got up to later on. I followed him on fb but it's been a bit quiet the last year or so.

kalowski

The Monty Python sketch, "The dirty fork" is approved material of the Key Stage 2 PSHE curriculum, discussing "resolving conflict".
Approved by whom?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on August 30, 2019, 04:10:44 AM
bruised ribs.
the flight engineer, from whom yeager scrounged a stick of gum before many flights, arranged a short piece of broom handle in the X-1's cockpit so that yeager would be able to lever the canopy closed.

yeager's own autobiography is somewhat dismissive of the yarns spun by wolfe & kaufmann respectively, though some of his other exploits (escaping over the mountains into france after being shot down, with an injured colleague) are just as heroic as anything he got up to later on. I followed him on fb but it's been a bit quiet the last year or so.

well, now, that's spooky. like I said, I hadn't seen a facebook post from the general for some months, & one just popped up. I don't have FB on this machine, & I don't access C&B on my other machines, so how on earth has this happened? amaze me, internet savants or conspiracy theorists.... the only things I use on both my work PC (this thing) & all my other shit (macs, phones, ipads & so on) are ebay & amazon.

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 01, 2019, 06:23:10 AM
well, now, that's spooky. like I said, I hadn't seen a facebook post from the general for some months, & one just popped up. I don't have FB on this machine, & I don't access C&B on my other machines, so how on earth has this happened? amaze me, internet savants or conspiracy theorists.... the only things I use on both my work PC (this thing) & all my other shit (macs, phones, ipads & so on) are ebay & amazon.

If you're logged into the same services on multiple devices then it's likely you're being tracked even outside of those services. There are Amazon ads on this site, so there's an easy hop between CaB and FB for you. But can I just shock you? I don't think Yeager is posting based on your mention. He definitely knows where you live and has your credit card credentials though.

touchingcloth

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 26, 2019, 02:44:45 PM
England didn't win the cricket tournament yesterday - they equalised in the series and still have to play again.

Oh. I saw a news alert on my phone the other day that said something like "England clinch stunning victory from Australia by one wicket" and I thought well done are boys Australians must be gutted to only have five wickets left.

Did are boys win it win it yet? I like chanting "Crickets! Crickets! Crickets! when they win the crickets.

Paul Calf

Lost one, drawn one, won one. It's a five match series so the remaining two are crucial.

If it's drawn, Australia - as current holders - retain the trophy.

touchingcloth

Aren't the five days of a cricket match normally consecutive? This one seems to have been going on for weeks, like that Mitchell & Webb sketch where it's endless football but it's cricket.

Paul Calf

Although the actual Ashes urn:

1. Never leaves the museum at the MCC
2. Has never been the trophy presented to the 'holder of the Ashes' and
3. Probably doesn't even contain the ashes of the 1882 match bails.

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 01, 2019, 09:09:51 AM
Aren't the five days of a cricket match normally consecutive? This one seems to have been going on for weeks, like that Mitchell & Webb sketch where it's endless football but it's cricket.

It's not five days, it's 5 five (at the most)-day matches. So a maximum of 25 days of cricket over about 3 months.

touchingcloth

I would say that is approximately 24 more days than is necessary to work out who is the best at cricket this year. When do people even get a chance to go the loo? November?

Icehaven

Cricket is the Emperor's new clothes of sport, no one really knows the rules because there aren't any, they just pretend because they don't want to be the one to say it.

Paul Calf

Totally. That's what's so compelling about it. I can travel halfway around the world to The Wankhede or The WACA and sit with an absolute stranger having a fully absorbing conversation about a game whose vocabulary is so abstruse that most of the people we grew up with wouldn't understand us.

studpuppet

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 01, 2019, 09:04:05 PM
Totally. That's what's so compelling about it. I can travel halfway around the world to The Wankhede or The WACA and sit with an absolute stranger having a fully absorbing conversation about a game whose vocabulary is so abstruse that most of the people we grew up with wouldn't understand us.

I reckon if they ever make a UK reboot of Stranger Things, instead of Dungeons & Dragons it'll start with a bunch of kids sitting round a table playing Owzthat!

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 01, 2019, 08:29:37 AM
If you're logged into the same services on multiple devices then it's likely you're being tracked even outside of those services. There are Amazon ads on this site, so there's an easy hop between CaB and FB for you. But can I just shock you? I don't think Yeager is posting based on your mention. He definitely knows where you live and has your credit card credentials though.

hah-hah... the general doesn't need my money, though having said that there's some sort of a kickstarter going on to produce a script based on his life. I checked on fb & while he has been posting away (or some stooge on his behalf & behest, anyway) for the last few weeks, there was a sizable gap in his fb activity that corresponds roughly with when I noticed I'd not seen anything from him for a while... right after his 96th birthday, in fact.
his post the other day was very much the same sort of thing he always seems to post- a very matter-of-fact statement of some part he played in the history of aviation safety, or else noting someone's birthday (e.g. neil armstrong, with whom he flew at EAB).

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on September 01, 2019, 08:51:53 PM
Cricket is the Emperor's new clothes of sport, no one really knows the rules because there aren't any, they just pretend because they don't want to be the one to say it.

A friend stayed with us recently and wanted to watch the cricket. The camera kept zooming in on a guy who was wearing a poncho and dancing like Tyres from off of Spaced. Turns out he was the adjudicator and the dancing was the score. Who knew.

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 01, 2019, 09:42:58 PM
hah-hah... the general doesn't need my money, though having said that there's some sort of a kickstarter going on to produce a script based on his life. I checked on fb & while he has been posting away (or some stooge on his behalf & behest, anyway) for the last few weeks, there was a sizable gap in his fb activity that corresponds roughly with when I noticed I'd not seen anything from him for a while... right after his 96th birthday, in fact.
his post the other day was very much the same sort of thing he always seems to post- a very matter-of-fact statement of some part he played in the history of aviation safety, or else noting someone's birthday (e.g. neil armstrong, with whom he flew at EAB).

I like Sam Shepard as him in The Right Stuff. Wanked to that perf so many times.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 01, 2019, 10:21:07 PM
I like Sam Shepard as him in The Right Stuff. Wanked to that perf so many times.

IK,R? sam shepard.... would've took one off him, deffo.