Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Other print stuff: a stereotype was a mono-block of oft-repeated text so the printer didn't have to arrange it letter-by-letter, and cliché was an onomatopoeic name given to it.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NoSleep on September 15, 2019, 10:26:00 AM
the kind of pub where everything would go silent if you entered...

I don't think there was a pub in the whole of bromley that we didn't try & were similarly rebuffed. couple of places got used to us... can't remember the name of it, but there was one near bromley south BR that was half-decent. the three tuns on widmore road, & a couple of others in the centre. we discovered the new hackwood hotel when we were late realising that last orders were approaching, & it was the only place we could get to in time. discovering that they had sam smith's there turned it into a daily ritual for myself & adrian martin, later a very successful editor & now a psychotherapist in the US mid-west. I remember the loyalty to the NHH solidified when one of the other pubs in town put up the price of guinness (the only thing we could bare to drink) to just over a quid a pint. "fucking southerners!" we cried.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2019, 10:52:53 AM
Other print stuff: a stereotype was a mono-block of oft-repeated text so the printer didn't have to arrange it letter-by-letter, and cliché was an onomatopoeic name given to it.

"And they lived happily ever after".

Onamatopoeic how? Does sliding a stereotype block onto the ...plate... cause a sound which is less of a click or a thunk and more of a cliché?

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 15, 2019, 10:55:18 AM
so why aren't M&Ms really really small?

They'd be smaller if they were called N&Ns. That's my typographic joke for the day, gotta dash now.

NoSleep

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 15, 2019, 10:54:17 AM
I don't think there was a pub in the whole of bromley that we didn't try & were similarly rebuffed. couple of places got used to us... can't remember the name of it, but there was one near bromley south BR that was half-decent. the three tuns on widmore road, & a couple of others in the centre. we discovered the new hackwood hotel when we were late realising that last orders were approaching, & it was the only place we could get to in time. discovering that they had sam smith's there turned it into a daily ritual for myself & adrian martin, later a very successful editor & now a psychotherapist in the US mid-west. I remember the loyalty to the NHH solidified when one of the other pubs in town put up the price of guinness (the only thing we could bare to drink) to just over a quid a pint. "fucking southerners!" we cried.

Oh yeah, the Tuns. I didn't really get to know that place until a few years later (mid 80's). Were they already announcing last orders by playing "Delilah"?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 15, 2019, 10:56:45 AM
"And they lived happily ever after".

Onamatopoeic how? Does sliding a stereotype block onto the ...plate... cause a sound which is less of a click or a thunk and more of a cliché?

Cliché is the past passive participle of "clicher", 'to click'.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NoSleep on September 15, 2019, 10:58:23 AM
Oh yeah, the Tuns. I didn't really get to know that place until a few years later (mid 80's). Were they already announcing last orders by playing "Delilah"?

don't remember that- I think we only went there during the day. was there a pub called 'the rising sun'? out towards chislehurst...

The Lurker

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 10, 2019, 07:00:02 PM
Their relationship only came to light because she was in the car with him when he killed that poor mother and daughter in Enniskillen.

Good thing Jennifer Grey survived the crash. No one puts baby in the coroner.

JesusAndYourBush

And when you put the little letters back in their box, mind your p's and q's!

Zetetic

I'm not sure whether this should be in the Obvious thread, but I've only just really twigged:

1) How much pay costs have increased since the '40s/'50s/'70s, beyond "inflation" (e.g. RPI, CPI etc.)

2) How significant this is to making sense of public sector expenditure, particularly for services that mostly spend money on labour.

If you're looking at how much was being spent on the health service 50+ years ago, then person-time-purchasing-power can make a lot more sense than adjusting for consumer/retail-inflation (i.e. basket-of-groceries-purchasing-power).

Easily tripling the amount of purchasing power in the '60s (and making the increases in spend less impressive).

It turns out that the Department of Health used to actually produce an index specifically for this (and that the University of York Kent now do the same). Don't know how far back these went, however.

gib

I just found out that stereo means solid. So a stereoscope would let you see a picture in 3D, i.e. a solid picture.

Dex Sawash

Assumed Mojo Jojo's avatar of that smiling  little yellow cartoon guy was just a powepuff girls character I was not familiar with. Piggyoioi's avatar's more complete, um, snatch of tbe image has set me straight though.

studpuppet

One more fun printing one. Why do books have margins? What's the point of all that wasted white space that could have more text on it? It was originally insurance against rats chewing at your medieval books and literally eating away at your knowledge base.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: studpuppet on September 16, 2019, 01:43:46 PM
One more fun printing one. Why do books have margins? What's the point of all that wasted white space that could have more text on it? It was originally insurance against rats chewing at your medieval books and literally eating away at your knowledge base.

It could also partly be because with really old books when the book is closed the edges are all wonky because the pages aren't perfectly lined up, but at some point they started using a guillotine to trim the edges after the book was bound, so they needed some extra blank space so they didn't lose any words when they trimmed the edges.

George White

Look-in would try to get kids to watch the ITV Play, Armchair Theatre/Thriller, Jesus of Nazareth, the Spoils of War/A Family at War, Edward VII etc to watch.

Looking through old Look-Ins and annuals. And the series that got annuals, Dangerman, Vander Valk, Baywatch, Danger UXB, The Sweeney, Target (had its own comic), The Bill, Minder, Professionals, Dempsey and Makepeace, (and Coronation St), Emergency Ward 10, etc.
The amount of series being marketed to kids is so bizarre and wide-ranging. Obviously, a lot are suitable for families, but some are just baffling.
Armchair Thriller, the Spoils of War, A Family at War, reruns of Tales from Dickens, the World at War, Edward VII, the Pig and Whistle (Canada's answer to the Good Old Days, hosted by Captain Birdseye himself, John Hewer), Police Surgeon (not the Avengers precursor, but the 70s Canadian procedural), the likes of the Baron and the Adventurer, Jesus of Nazareth, Crown Court, Aussie shows like Chopper Squad, Young Ramsey, SoloOne, Riptide with Ty Hardin, the British General Hospital, Bognor, End of Part One, dreary pre-High Road STV soap Garnock Way, Granada auction house saga House of Caradus, Enemy at the Door, the odd edition of the ITV Play and ITV Play of the Week, sitcoms like Life Begins at Forty, Don't Just Sit There, and Leslie Crowther's series, Father Dear Father, the Many Wives of Patrick, Pathfinders, Harry Worth, Billy Liar, Wendy Craig's shows, Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans, the Shillingbury Tales, Benny Hill and Dave Allen's shows, Cedar Tree, Tommy Steele, Six Dates with Barker, No Hiding Place, Spooner's Patch, the Edgar Walace Mysteries, Bless Me Father, Mind Your Language, Man about the House, Rising Damp, Man about the House, the Cuckoo Waltz, the Squirrels, Beryl's Lot, Dr in Charge,New Scotland Yard,On the Buses,  Sorry, I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Robin Bailey quits his wife, moves home, meets Christopher Fulford as a green-haired punk and a Sikh shopkeeper played by Nadim Sawalha), Thundercloud, A Fine Romance with Judi Dench, Ballyskillen Opera House, Shelley, Norman Wisdom, the Fosters, Please, Sir, Never Mind the Quality... Feel the Width, A Sharp Intake of Breath, the Secret Life of Edgar Briggs, Devenish, the Incredible Mr. Tanner,  John Mills' sitcom vehicle Young at Heart,  Only when I Laugh, Thicker than Water with Joss Ackland as a Yorkshireman,   How's Your Father, Can We Go Now Please, Yanks Go Home, Backs to the Land, the revived Rag Trade, In Loving Memory, the Glamour Girls, the surrealistic Fancy Wanders, plus Arnie with Herschel Bernardi, the various Mary Tyler Moore Televisual Universe series, Soap, Shaft - the Series, Longstreet, Trapper John MD, Columbo, Streets of San Francisco, CTV import Search and Rescue, Private Benjamin, Wayne and Shuster, Pat McGoohan post-Prisoner paycheque vehicle Rafferty, Barney Miller, Nanny and the Professor, Gilligan's Island, the Magician, It Takes  A Thief (ITC-ish thing with Robert Wagner), McCloud, Hogan's Heroes, the Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Cade's County, the FBI, Flipper, O'Hara with David Janssen, My 3 Sons, Bridget loves Bernie, Me and the Chimp, Anna and the King (the sitcom based on the King and I with Yul Brynner and Samantha Eggar, and the more suitably cast Keye Luke replacing  Martin "Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" Benson as Kralahome)

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 16, 2019, 02:39:18 PM
It could also partly be because with really old books when the book is closed the edges are all wonky because the pages aren't perfectly lined up, but at some point they started using a guillotine to trim the edges after the book was bound, so they needed some extra blank space so they didn't lose any words when they trimmed the edges.

That. It's still common in graphic design to include a "bleed" on anything sent for printing, so you have your main content all within a certain area in the centre but with the less crucial bits of artwork extending into the bleed so that as long as the cuts are roughly accurate going too wide won't result in a visible edge to the artwork and if it goes too narrow it won't cut off the actual content.

studpuppet

Yes - but you're both talking about modern printed books made up of signatures.
I'm talking about about pre-print era codices (usually on vellum - tasty for rats), that Gutenberg was apeing when he began printing on single page pre-cut sheets.
The by-product of margins is of course that the page is more aesthetically pleasing to read. Trimming and binding have improved to the point where you can confidently place text as close as 3mm to the trim lines and it not get guillotined; but if you do that in a properly set text-only book it just looks wrong and punters will think you've made a mistake...

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: George White on September 16, 2019, 02:59:57 PM
Look-in would try to get kids to watch the ITV Play, Armchair Theatre/Thriller, Jesus of Nazareth, the Spoils of War/A Family at War, Edward VII etc to watch.

Looking through old Look-Ins and annuals. And the series that got annuals, Dangerman, Vander Valk, Baywatch, Danger UXB, The Sweeney, Target (had its own comic), The Bill, Minder, Professionals, Dempsey and Makepeace, (and Coronation St), Emergency Ward 10, etc.
The amount of series being marketed to kids is so bizarre and wide-ranging. Obviously, a lot are suitable for families, but some are just baffling.
Armchair Thriller, the Spoils of War, A Family at War, reruns of Tales from Dickens, the World at War, Edward VII, the Pig and Whistle (Canada's answer to the Good Old Days, hosted by Captain Birdseye himself, John Hewer), Police Surgeon (not the Avengers precursor, but the 70s Canadian procedural), the likes of the Baron and the Adventurer, Jesus of Nazareth, Crown Court, Aussie shows like Chopper Squad, Young Ramsey, SoloOne, Riptide with Ty Hardin, the British General Hospital, Bognor, End of Part One, dreary pre-High Road STV soap Garnock Way, Granada auction house saga House of Caradus, Enemy at the Door, the odd edition of the ITV Play and ITV Play of the Week, sitcoms like Life Begins at Forty, Don't Just Sit There, and Leslie Crowther's series, Father Dear Father, the Many Wives of Patrick, Pathfinders, Harry Worth, Billy Liar, Wendy Craig's shows, Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans, the Shillingbury Tales, Benny Hill and Dave Allen's shows, Cedar Tree, Tommy Steele, Six Dates with Barker, No Hiding Place, Spooner's Patch, the Edgar Walace Mysteries, Bless Me Father, Mind Your Language, Man about the House, Rising Damp, Man about the House, the Cuckoo Waltz, the Squirrels, Beryl's Lot, Dr in Charge,New Scotland Yard,On the Buses,  Sorry, I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Robin Bailey quits his wife, moves home, meets Christopher Fulford as a green-haired punk and a Sikh shopkeeper played by Nadim Sawalha), Thundercloud, A Fine Romance with Judi Dench, Ballyskillen Opera House, Shelley, Norman Wisdom, the Fosters, Please, Sir, Never Mind the Quality... Feel the Width, A Sharp Intake of Breath, the Secret Life of Edgar Briggs, Devenish, the Incredible Mr. Tanner,  John Mills' sitcom vehicle Young at Heart,  Only when I Laugh, Thicker than Water with Joss Ackland as a Yorkshireman,   How's Your Father, Can We Go Now Please, Yanks Go Home, Backs to the Land, the revived Rag Trade, In Loving Memory, the Glamour Girls, the surrealistic Fancy Wanders, plus Arnie with Herschel Bernardi, the various Mary Tyler Moore Televisual Universe series, Soap, Shaft - the Series, Longstreet, Trapper John MD, Columbo, Streets of San Francisco, CTV import Search and Rescue, Private Benjamin, Wayne and Shuster, Pat McGoohan post-Prisoner paycheque vehicle Rafferty, Barney Miller, Nanny and the Professor, Gilligan's Island, the Magician, It Takes  A Thief (ITC-ish thing with Robert Wagner), McCloud, Hogan's Heroes, the Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Cade's County, the FBI, Flipper, O'Hara with David Janssen, My 3 Sons, Bridget loves Bernie, Me and the Chimp, Anna and the King (the sitcom based on the King and I with Yul Brynner and Samantha Eggar, and the more suitably cast Keye Luke replacing  Martin "Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" Benson as Kralahome)

fuck my hat, I'm not reading all that!

kalowski

Quote from: George White on September 16, 2019, 02:59:57 PM

"Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

MojoJojo

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 16, 2019, 02:15:01 AM
Assumed Mojo Jojo's avatar of that smiling  little yellow cartoon guy was just a powepuff girls character I was not familiar with. Piggyoioi's avatar's more complete, um, snatch of tbe image has set me straight though.

It was a very odd episode of the Powerpuff Girls.

(I've changed my avatar now if anyone is confused by this exchange).

Icehaven

The paper version of the Yellow Pages stopped being printed in 2017. It's not that surprising I suppose, and if it did still exist I'd not be amazed to hear there were plans to axe it, but I'd have thought it had a few years left yet.

pigamus

Noddy Tomkey

touchingcloth

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on September 26, 2019, 08:22:46 AM
The life expectancy of the common black garden ant is 15 years!

I found that out recently as well. I can't remember if I posted it here, but it's properly fuck my hat.

MojoJojo

Ambient Sheep

That the member of the cabin crew in the famous Cinzano Blanco advert starring Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins, was played by none other than a 23-year-old Marina Sirtis, of later Star Trek: The Next Generation fame.

Maiq the Liar

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on September 26, 2019, 08:22:46 AM
The life expectancy of the common black garden ant is 15 years!
While the life expectancy of a middle class white garden ant living in Kent is 21 years.

#blackantlivesmatter