Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 07, 2019, 06:16:58 AM
That the member of the cabin crew in the famous Cinzano Blanco advert starring Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins, was played by none other than a 23-year-old Marina Sirtis, of later Star Trek: The Next Generation fame.

And her name is an anagram of 'Is martian, sir', so you could see it then really.   

Ferris

Bought one of these on a whim, it has a mad lid. It uses a marble to close the bottle, which you have to plunge out the way with a special tool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyn7KO6ONh0

Apparently used to be very common, now it's just this one type of Japanese soda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd-neck_bottle

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 08, 2019, 03:35:26 PM
Bought one of these on a whim, it has a mad lid. It uses a marble to close the bottle, which you have to plunge out the way with a special tool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyn7KO6ONh0

Apparently used to be very common, now it's just this one type of Japanese soda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd-neck_bottle

I remember my mother or grandmother talking about 'glass allies' in reference to these things, usually while I was trying to have a quiet game of marbles.

28 &c.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 08, 2019, 03:46:15 PM
I remember my mother or grandmother talking about 'glass allies' in reference to these things, usually while I was trying to have a quiet game of marbles.

28 &c.

According to Wikipedia, most of the older bottles were smashed by kids so they could get at the marbles inside.

gilbertharding

I own one - it was previously owned by my uncle, and I'd always been fascinated by it. It was made, like many of them, for a local soda brand (this one from Aldershot, near where my uncle lived, which was the reason he owned it, I guess). It still has little bits of the rubber washer inside it.

Luckily neither I nor my brother was sufficiently tempted to smash it - but by then marbles were cheap and Codd bottles were rare.

I never knew you can still buy a brand of drink which uses it. I'll have to get me some!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 08, 2019, 04:25:54 PM
According to Wikipedia, most of the older bottles were smashed by kids so they could get at the marbles inside.

I found the marble from a codd bottle while walking through the woods a few years ago, it must have been buried not very deep and become uncovered.

Ferris

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 08, 2019, 04:47:45 PM
I never knew you can still buy a brand of drink which uses it. I'll have to get me some!

I bought it on a total whim, and had no idea that it had an interesting lid. I just liked the shape of the bottle. Purchase of the decade for me.

Rasmune soda or something. Seek it out!

Edit: "Ramune" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune

gilbertharding

I suppose you can buy it in here in Blighty?

*answer* yes, of course you can. From Sainsbury's of all places (not my local branch, I'll bet).

gib

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 08, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
I suppose you can buy it in here in Blighty?

Yo Sushi does it, Sainsburys have it sometimes, also some independents.

Icehaven

Apparently it's a myth that alcohol kills brain cells. That's not to say it doesn't affect your memory or ability to learn, but studies comparing alkies and non-alkies show the number of brain cells isn't significantly different.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on October 09, 2019, 06:29:43 PM
Apparently it's a myth that alcohol kills brain cells. That's not to say it doesn't affect your memory or ability to learn, but studies comparing alkies and non-alkies show the number of brain cells isn't significantly different.

It's withdrawal that causes brain damage, comparisons have shown between 'pissed for years' alikes and 'usually pissed but have tried to give up quite a lot of times' the latter had much worse brains.

Zetetic

There's at least one mechanism where by alcoholism can 'kill brain cells':

Sufficiently severe and chronic alcoholism produces thiamine/B1 deficiency through a whole bunch of mechanisms.

Thiamine deficiency produces damage which extends to 'killing brain cells' (and results in Korsakoff's).

Sebastian Cobb

Apparently if you drink enough for long enough you can't recognise faces any more.

Bennett Brauer

It's been over 7 years since the valedictory Clive James Not Doing So Well thread. He was 80 on Monday.

Amazing that he's survived, but I didn't think he was that old.

petril

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 09, 2019, 06:55:57 PM
Apparently if you drink enough for long enough you can't recognise faces any more.

but only if you get the amount wrong. 71 units a day for 563 days and you recognise every cell of every face

Norton Canes

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 11, 2019, 09:55:09 AM
"Disco Inferno" is Latin for "I learn from the underworld"

And if you say ''The Trammps'' three times into a mirror Satan appears.

shh

There is an actual human being called Pete Tong. After the whom the expression was coined. What a time to be alive. I was born too late for Michael Bliss.

canadagoose

Apparently Carshalton is in London, not somewhere in Yorkshire. Where the fuck was I thinking of? Castleford?

petril

Quote from: canadagoose on October 16, 2019, 10:03:39 PM
Apparently Carshalton is in London, not somewhere in Yorkshire. Where the fuck was I thinking of? Castleford?

Carshalton sounds like the sort of place name you'd get in Glasgow

BlodwynPig

Quote from: petrilTanaka on October 16, 2019, 10:28:18 PM
Carshalton sounds like the sort of place name you'd get in Glasgow

I thought it was in Teeside/North Yorks

Paul Calf

Quote from: shh on October 16, 2019, 02:53:55 PM
There is an actual human being called Pete Tong. After the whom the expression was coined. What a time to be alive. I was born too late for Michael Bliss.

Bless.

Quote from: canadagoose on October 16, 2019, 10:03:39 PM

Until recently, I thought Billericay was in Ireland not outside London

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Ferris

There were Seven Seals in the book of revelations, and each one brought forth a big hoo-ha. You've obviously got the Big Four Horsemen that we all know about from Terry Pratchett books, but there's also some that nobody really knows what they refer to (but could be heavy taxation of wine under Emporer Claudius, or the insurrection under some chap called Windex).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_seals

Edit: also Revelation chapter 8 verse 1 specifies that you have time to eat supernoodles and watch an episode of the Simpsons* in between the opening of the seventh seal and the end of the world.

*"And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 18, 2019, 01:32:33 AM
Edit: also Revelation chapter 8 verse 1 specifies that you have time to eat supernoodles and watch an episode of the Simpsons* in between the opening of the seventh seal and the end of the world.

*"And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."

Are the seals still alive after they've been opened, or is it a similar process to skinning them?