Author Topic: "F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out  (Read 180007 times)

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • I barely have words for this bullshit.
Re: "F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out
« Reply #1230 on: October 18, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
Are the seals still alive after they've been opened, or is it a similar process to skinning them?

He’s ‘never gonna survive’ that, eh readers?

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
Re: "F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out
« Reply #1231 on: October 18, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
He’s ‘never gonna survive’ that, eh readers?

Indeed. Heidi will be glum.

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #1232 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
Are the seals still alive after they've been opened, or is it a similar process to skinning them?

It's been badly translated.  They're Penguins not seals.  You merely have to take the wrappers off.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1233 on: October 18, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
It's been badly translated.  They're Penguins not seals.  You merely have to take the wrappers off.

So instead of peeling Seal I need to find a penguin and remove Dr Dre?

« Reply #1234 on: October 18, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
After reading the Cex thread I've found out that Maplin still exists.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1235 on: October 18, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »

Their high street presence ended last year. All on the line now.

« Reply #1236 on: October 19, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »

Bought out of administration and new owner though.

« Reply #1237 on: October 22, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
The Strand magazine, home of Sherlock Holmes, Raffles, the work of Wodehouse, H.G. Wells, Margarey Allingham, Christie, Wodehouse, Edgar Wallace, Simnenon, Dorothy L Sayers, Kipling, E NEsbit, Churchill, Dornford Yates, WW Jacobs, Mary Angela Dickens, etc was published by George Newnes. George Newnes became part of Amalganated Press, alias IPC.
So, Sherlock and Raffles are IPC characters like Buster, Billy Bunter, Dan Dare, Grimley Feendish, the 2000AD oeuvre and Frankie Stein.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1238 on: October 22, 2019, 06:22:50 PM »
The Strand magazine, home of Sherlock Holmes, Raffles, the work of Wodehouse, H.G. Wells, Margarey Allingham, Christie, Wodehouse, Edgar Wallace, Simnenon, Dorothy L Sayers, Kipling, E NEsbit, Churchill, Dornford Yates, WW Jacobs, Mary Angela Dickens, etc was published by George Newnes. George Newnes became part of Amalganated Press, alias IPC.
So, Sherlock and Raffles are IPC characters like Buster, Billy Bunter, Dan Dare, Grimley Feendish, the 2000AD oeuvre and Frankie Stein.

I like this fact.

the midnight watch baboon

• Gelled, spiky hair fragrant near my teeth
« Reply #1239 on: October 24, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »
Elephant seals can dive to 5000 feet! That's a long way for a bunch of big awkward lads. They should dive in that river in India, there's thirty thousand feet there at times, cor!

Bennett Brauer

• I don't "wipe properly"
« Reply #1240 on: October 26, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
Looking up Darcey Bussell's [wait for it...] Wiki page, I half-expected to find out she'd poshed her name up and was born Tracey Splott or something. In fact her real name is Marnie Mercedes Darcey Pemberton Crittle.

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
« Reply #1241 on: October 27, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
So Marnie Crittle then. Does sound a bit Dickensian.

NJ Uncut

• Good luck anyone on Universal Credit x
« Reply #1242 on: October 27, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
CaB is well better with inverted colours!! (Dark Background & Light Text for Firefox is great fun)

Cerys

• Bionic-Arsed
  • Golden Member
  • Cyber Engineered Ravaged Yakking System
    • The Brainwrongs of Cerys
« Reply #1243 on: October 27, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
No!  Nooooo!  The blueness must endure!  Nyargh!

« Reply #1244 on: October 28, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
Code: [Select]
.windowbg
{
background-color: teal;
color: white;
}
.windowbg2
{
background-color: orange;
}

You're welcome.

Ambient Sheep

• I owe lots of people PMs, sorry. Hopefully soon...
« Reply #1245 on: October 28, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »
.windowbg
{
background-color: teal;
color: white;
}
.windowbg2
{
background-color: orange;
}

Where does one put this?

No!  Nooooo!  The blueness must endure!  Nyargh!

You say that, but somebody asked me the other day "Why do you call it 'the blue forum' when it's not really blue?"  And they had a point.

Perhaps with this new techno-magic we can make the blueness live again.

« Reply #1246 on: October 28, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
You don't have to take the bones out of tinned sardines; they're completely soft and you don't even notice you're eating them. Nearly 50 I am.

NJ Uncut

« Reply #1247 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
You don't have to take the bones out of tinned sardines; they're completely soft and you don't even notice you're eating them. Nearly 50 I am.

Same with pilchards. I love eating the spines!

« Reply #1248 on: October 28, 2019, 09:23:09 PM »
Where does one put this?

Easiest way is: install the Stylus extension (available for Chrome and Firefox); click on it whilst on this site and select "Write style for: www.cookdandbombd.co.uk" (click on the "www" in the URL in the Stylus dropdown); paste the code into the editor and click "Save".

There are other things you can put there too; for example I have this to make the orange "new" buttons bigger and less fiddly to click on:

a img[src*="new.gif"] {
  height: 1.5em;
  margin-top: -5px;
  margin-bottom: -5px;
  padding-left: 5px;
}

Ambient Sheep

• I owe lots of people PMs, sorry. Hopefully soon...
« Reply #1249 on: October 28, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. :-)

touchingcloth

« Reply #1250 on: October 28, 2019, 11:05:44 PM »
Right click the page, choose the “inspect” option, and modify the relevant styles.

You’ll need to do it anew each time you load a new page, but it’s more satisfying doing things manually rather than with plugins sometimes.

« Reply #1251 on: October 29, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Right click the page, choose the “inspect” option, and modify the relevant styles.

You’ll need to do it anew each time you load a new page, but it’s more satisfying doing things manually rather than with plugins sometimes.

More satisfying to have to fiddle about manually with the Element Inspector every single time you load a page? Well, to each their own, I suppose. Once I've got the results I want from the Element Inspector, I prefer to put the relevant settings into Stylus so they load automatically.

touchingcloth

« Reply #1252 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
More satisfying to have to fiddle about manually with the Element Inspector every single time you load a page? Well, to each their own, I suppose. Once I've got the results I want from the Element Inspector, I prefer to put the relevant settings into Stylus so they load automatically.

You’re welcome to it. I fly solo. I drive stick. I hand wash. Keeps me feeling connected to the site, and my smalls.

« Reply #1253 on: October 30, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
Cybill Shepherd bears an invented name combining those of her Uncle Cy and Dad Bill

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
« Reply #1254 on: October 30, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
Cybill Shepherd bears an invented name combining those of her Uncle Cy and Dad Bill

So it's not just a pretentious spelling of Sybil then (a la Zooey, Jorjia, Tayla etc.) 

NoSleep

• This is your Uncle Jim speaking
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #1255 on: October 30, 2019, 03:26:01 PM »
We should pronounce it Psybill Shefford.

NJ Uncut

« Reply #1256 on: October 31, 2019, 11:26:18 PM »
The Road Runner - meep meep! - is a real bird!

Twed

• What, prick? That's my child. My Johnson's child
« Reply #1257 on: November 02, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
Yeah, a real dime!

a duncandisorderly

• the rough and tumble of the internet
« Reply #1258 on: November 04, 2019, 03:06:39 PM »

https://youtu.be/RobPzv3KYcI?t=216

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #1259 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »

Tags: