Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2019, 10:05:19 AM
Are the seals still alive after they've been opened, or is it a similar process to skinning them?

He's 'never gonna survive' that, eh readers?

touchingcloth

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2019, 10:05:19 AM
Are the seals still alive after they've been opened, or is it a similar process to skinning them?

It's been badly translated.  They're Penguins not seals.  You merely have to take the wrappers off.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 18, 2019, 12:14:49 PM
It's been badly translated.  They're Penguins not seals.  You merely have to take the wrappers off.

So instead of peeling Seal I need to find a penguin and remove Dr Dre?

Bobtoo

After reading the Cex thread I've found out that Maplin still exists.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Bobtoo on October 18, 2019, 07:19:20 PM

Their high street presence ended last year. All on the line now.

steveh

Quote from: Bobtoo on October 18, 2019, 07:19:20 PM

Bought out of administration and new owner though.

George White

The Strand magazine, home of Sherlock Holmes, Raffles, the work of Wodehouse, H.G. Wells, Margarey Allingham, Christie, Wodehouse, Edgar Wallace, Simnenon, Dorothy L Sayers, Kipling, E NEsbit, Churchill, Dornford Yates, WW Jacobs, Mary Angela Dickens, etc was published by George Newnes. George Newnes became part of Amalganated Press, alias IPC.
So, Sherlock and Raffles are IPC characters like Buster, Billy Bunter, Dan Dare, Grimley Feendish, the 2000AD oeuvre and Frankie Stein.

touchingcloth

Quote from: George White on October 22, 2019, 10:46:34 AM
The Strand magazine, home of Sherlock Holmes, Raffles, the work of Wodehouse, H.G. Wells, Margarey Allingham, Christie, Wodehouse, Edgar Wallace, Simnenon, Dorothy L Sayers, Kipling, E NEsbit, Churchill, Dornford Yates, WW Jacobs, Mary Angela Dickens, etc was published by George Newnes. George Newnes became part of Amalganated Press, alias IPC.
So, Sherlock and Raffles are IPC characters like Buster, Billy Bunter, Dan Dare, Grimley Feendish, the 2000AD oeuvre and Frankie Stein.

I like this fact.

the midnight watch baboon

Elephant seals can dive to 5000 feet! That's a long way for a bunch of big awkward lads. They should dive in that river in India, there's thirty thousand feet there at times, cor!

Bennett Brauer

Looking up Darcey Bussell's [wait for it...] Wiki page, I half-expected to find out she'd poshed her name up and was born Tracey Splott or something. In fact her real name is Marnie Mercedes Darcey Pemberton Crittle.

Icehaven

NJ Uncut

CaB is well better with inverted colours!! (Dark Background & Light Text for Firefox is great fun)

Cerys

olliebean

.windowbg
{
background-color: teal;
color: white;
}
.windowbg2
{
background-color: orange;
}

You're welcome.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2019, 09:12:33 AM
.windowbg
{
background-color: teal;
color: white;
}
.windowbg2
{
background-color: orange;
}

Where does one put this?

Quote from: Cerys on October 27, 2019, 10:47:30 PM
No!  Nooooo!  The blueness must endure!  Nyargh!

You say that, but somebody asked me the other day "Why do you call it 'the blue forum' when it's not really blue?"  And they had a point.

Perhaps with this new techno-magic we can make the blueness live again.

poodlefaker

You don't have to take the bones out of tinned sardines; they're completely soft and you don't even notice you're eating them. Nearly 50 I am.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 28, 2019, 05:18:34 PM
You don't have to take the bones out of tinned sardines; they're completely soft and you don't even notice you're eating them. Nearly 50 I am.

Same with pilchards. I love eating the spines!

olliebean

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 28, 2019, 01:39:16 PM
Where does one put this?

Easiest way is: install the Stylus extension (available for Chrome and Firefox); click on it whilst on this site and select "Write style for: www.cookdandbombd.co.uk" (click on the "www" in the URL in the Stylus dropdown); paste the code into the editor and click "Save".

There are other things you can put there too; for example I have this to make the orange "new" buttons bigger and less fiddly to click on:

a img[src*="new.gif"] {
  height: 1.5em;
  margin-top: -5px;
  margin-bottom: -5px;
  padding-left: 5px;
}

touchingcloth

Right click the page, choose the "inspect" option, and modify the relevant styles.

You'll need to do it anew each time you load a new page, but it's more satisfying doing things manually rather than with plugins sometimes.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 28, 2019, 11:05:44 PM
Right click the page, choose the "inspect" option, and modify the relevant styles.

You'll need to do it anew each time you load a new page, but it's more satisfying doing things manually rather than with plugins sometimes.

More satisfying to have to fiddle about manually with the Element Inspector every single time you load a page? Well, to each their own, I suppose. Once I've got the results I want from the Element Inspector, I prefer to put the relevant settings into Stylus so they load automatically.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 29, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
More satisfying to have to fiddle about manually with the Element Inspector every single time you load a page? Well, to each their own, I suppose. Once I've got the results I want from the Element Inspector, I prefer to put the relevant settings into Stylus so they load automatically.

You're welcome to it. I fly solo. I drive stick. I hand wash. Keeps me feeling connected to the site, and my smalls.

Norton Canes

Cybill Shepherd bears an invented name combining those of her Uncle Cy and Dad Bill

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 30, 2019, 09:53:36 AM
Cybill Shepherd bears an invented name combining those of her Uncle Cy and Dad Bill

So it's not just a pretentious spelling of Sybil then (a la Zooey, Jorjia, Tayla etc.) 

NoSleep

NJ Uncut

Twed

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 28, 2019, 05:18:34 PM

https://youtu.be/RobPzv3KYcI?t=216