Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Special K on January 16, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
San Pedro is foreign for Saint Peter
St Agur is french for "made-up butter cheese but give it a chance it's really nice"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2020, 10:36:23 PM
Did they get the one black player to Do A Rap?

No, black people weren't invented until 1978, with v1.0 or 'Viv Andersen" as he was colloquially known.

bgmnts

"Birds are living dinosaurs, just as we are mammals," said Julia Clarke, a paleontologist studying the evolution of flight and a professor with the Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.

I knew birds were related to dinosaurs but I didn't know birds were actually dinosaurs in the same way that humans are mammals. I thought birds were birds.

gib

I wasn't being snippy, just trying to explain how someone explained it to me. Zoyzasorris can probably do a better job to be fair.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2020, 07:46:59 PM
I literally had no idea I just thought they were related.
Quote from: gib on January 20, 2020, 09:12:11 PM
I wasn't being snippy, just trying to explain how someone explained it to me. Zoyzasorris can probably do a better job to be fair.

I can't do a massively in depth job of it, but crocodiles on that diagram are a good example. Birds are related to every single other animal on that diagram (and every single animal which isn't on it as well of course), but crocodiles are the animal on that diagram which is most closely related to birds without also being in the group which contains dinosaurs and is labelled as "Dinosauria".

Another interesting thing about those sorts of diagrams (the bits like the area highlighted in purple are called "clades" and show groups of animals related by some common ancestor, so the bit where birds and the other animals in the group branch off represents the common ancestor(s) of every single species highlighted) is that once upon a time "reptiles" were seen as being the turtles, lizards, snakes, crocodiles seen on that diagram, but you can see from the diagram that crocodiles are closer to birds than they are to turtles, and so any clade which contains all of those traditional reptiles also has to contain the dinosaurs. So birds are reptiles, in that way of thinking.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: gib on January 20, 2020, 05:38:59 PM
Do you understand how this sort of diagram works?

Probably should have included a switch in your circuit somewhere

Paul Calf

Isn't it all just taxonomy though? Are birds 'dinosaurs' because that's the way some rich dilletante from the 18th century decided that's how it should be sliced?

NoSleep

Not sure if you're joking but there are several ways to determine birds' ancestry that weren't available before the 20th century, most notably the exploration of DNA, which would no doubt confirm that birds and crocodiles are closely related.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 21, 2020, 08:41:49 AM
Isn't it all just taxonomy though? Are birds 'dinosaurs' because that's the way some rich dilletante from the 18th century decided that's how it should be sliced?
Quote from: NoSleep on January 21, 2020, 08:50:42 AM
Not sure if you're joking but there are several ways to determine birds' ancestry that weren't available before the 20th century, most notably the exploration of DNA, which would no doubt confirm that birds and crocodiles are closely related.

Yep - prior to being properly able to study genes taxonomies were based on physical similarities, whereas cladistics is based specifically on shared ancestry. It amounts to the same thing in most cases but you get curiosities like birds not being physically similar enough to the "traditional" reptiles to be categorised that way, but when looking at their ancestry there's no way to exclude birds from the reptile group. So taxonomy is based on similarities whereas clashes are based on ancestry (though similarities have to be used to infer that in a lot of cases so it's not perfect when DNA isn't available).

It's definitely not the 18th Century way of cutting things, it's just unavoidable when you look at the bottom most split of the purple group because there's not a way to divide it such that all of the descendants of that group of animals does include the birds ("avian dinosaurs") and the non-avian dinosaurs (classic old school beasts). But it's a little arbitrary as that group could be called "claw twats", but happens to be called dinosaurs.

Paul Calf

Fair enough. For the record (if it wasn't already obvious) my understanding of biological taxonomy is far short of even that of the 18th-Century dilettantes.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 21, 2020, 09:26:47 AMBut it's a little arbitrary as that group could be called "claw twats", but happens to be called dinosaurs.

Henceforth all dinosaurs shall be known as "claw twats," from the pteroclawtwat (bird) to the tyrannoclawtwat rex.

Norton Canes

Small Man Big Horse

If birds are living dinosaurs then why isn't Hitchock's The Birds called Jurassic Park?

Cerys

NoSleep

So were they all chickens of varying sizes, except for the pterodactyls?

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 25, 2020, 08:15:37 PM
So were they all chickens of varying sizes, except for the pterodactyls?

Some were turkeys

imitationleather

Gulftastic

The archeological record of the Copper Age is almost non-existent because it was followed by the Bronze Age, and all the copper was turned into said bronze.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 27, 2020, 05:40:33 AM
The archeological record of the Copper Age is almost non-existent because it was followed by the Bronze Age, and all the copper was turned into said bronze.

Does that explain why Stevenage is still in the Stone Age?

Cuellar

All beef is 'kobe' beef in Japan. Kobe is Japanese for beef. It's like saying "ATM Machine"

Cardenio I

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2020, 03:20:54 PM
All beef is 'kobe' beef in Japan. Kobe is Japanese for beef. It's like saying "ATM Machine"

Good one.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2020, 03:20:54 PM

Isn't Gyūnik (牛肉) the Japanese for beef? Kobe is the capital of Hyōgo Prefecture and is therefore the same name given to cattle raised in the same region.

You're probably thinking of Wagyu (和牛) which is a general name given to any Japanese beef (the "Wa" prefix being an ancient name for Japan and "Gyu" coming from the aforementioned Gyūnik).

Cuellar