Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

touchingcloth

They actually don't eat beef in Japan, only "ramen noodles". They have the word for beef as in the meat instead of the animal, but they also use it for the animal so they might say "look at that beef, standing in the field of beefs, feeding mini beef".

NoSleep

Cardenio I

As my mum is fond of saying, "Orientals don't drink milk. That's why, to them, we stink of the stuff."

Cuellar

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on January 28, 2020, 09:26:31 AM
Do they drink beef milk?

I'm glad you asked. Yes they do, but they call it beefu milku desu.

I would quite like to see some of the Japanese-speaking contingent of this parish contribute some desu deso to that thread.

petril

V

Ronnie Hazlehurst's theme tune to 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em' spells out Some Mothers Do Ave Em in morse code.

That's a hell of a coincidence!

touchingcloth

Quote from: V on January 29, 2020, 03:41:15 AM
Ronnie Hazlehurst's theme tune to 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em' spells out Some Mothers Do Ave Em in morse code.

That's a hell of a coincidence!

The same is true of the Just a Minute theme tune, RIP Nickalas Parseons.

Cuellar

Also the Inspector MORSE theme I think.

The composer would also sometimes put the name of the murderer in the background music in morse code. Also sometimes he'd put a red herring name in morse code in there, for the real smart arse bastards.

I read that somewhere once and it could all be wrong. Apart from the theme tune bit, that's quite obvious.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Special K on January 16, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
San Pedro is foreign for Saint Peter
And Santiago is Spanish for Saint James. All of them. But, nicely, all the different Santiagos (places) are formally called Santiago de Chile, Santiago de Cuba, etc, so you know which is which.

Pseudopath

And San Pellegrino is named after Saint Pereguine, patron saint of AIDS and cancer sufferers.

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 29, 2020, 09:50:43 AM
And Santiago is Spanish for Saint James. All of them. But, nicely, all the different Santiagos (places) are formally called Santiago de Chile, Santiago de Cuba, etc, so you know which is which.

The Russian city was originally called Saint Peter of Burg.

Gregory Torso

In the opening credits of Murder She Wrote, in between lingering shots of Angela Lansbury jogging sensuously through a corn field and pretending to ride a bicycle, there are several close-ups on the manuscript she is writing. If you pause it at the right moment, you can clearly see she has just typed "FATHER BROWN INVESTIGATES IS A CUNT CUNT CUNNT CUNCT UC BUCT  CUTCNU CUNCUNUCR RRRRCRYGCBN  CUBN CUmt CUN T CUNT"

Pseudopath

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 29, 2020, 01:34:02 PM
In the opening credits of Murder She Wrote, in between lingering shots of Angela Lansbury jogging sensuously through a corn field and pretending to ride a bicycle, there are several close-ups on the manuscript she is writing. If you pause it at the right moment, you can clearly see she has just typed "FATHER BROWN INVESTIGATES IS A CUNT CUNT CUNNT CUNCT UC BUCT  CUTCNU CUNCUNUCR RRRRCRYGCBN  CUBN CUmt CUN T CUNT"

This doesn't look good for RRRRCRYGCBN.

petril

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 29, 2020, 01:34:02 PM

there's a longer edit where she takes the paper out and throws it with a flourish, while a doo-doo do-do-doooooo jingle plays. She doesn't smoke a pipe like Stephen J Cannell though

Poobum

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 20, 2020, 09:33:58 PM
I can't do a massively in depth job of it, but crocodiles on that diagram are a good example. Birds are related to every single other animal on that diagram (and every single animal which isn't on it as well of course), but crocodiles are the animal on that diagram which is most closely related to birds without also being in the group which contains dinosaurs and is labelled as "Dinosauria".

Another interesting thing about those sorts of diagrams (the bits like the area highlighted in purple are called "clades" and show groups of animals related by some common ancestor, so the bit where birds and the other animals in the group branch off represents the common ancestor(s) of every single species highlighted) is that once upon a time "reptiles" were seen as being the turtles, lizards, snakes, crocodiles seen on that diagram, but you can see from the diagram that crocodiles are closer to birds than they are to turtles, and so any clade which contains all of those traditional reptiles also has to contain the dinosaurs. So birds are reptiles, in that way of thinking.

Just to add to this, early crocomorphs are hard to distinguish from the early dinos. The crocs is general had massive bio-diversity and morphologies, before the great deadening. Also the modern sprawl legged gait is actually more derived than the upright one.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poobum on January 30, 2020, 09:51:31 PM

Just to add to this, early crocomorphs are hard to distinguish from the early dinos. The crocs is general had massive bio-diversity and morphologies, before the great deadening. Also the modern sprawl legged gait is actually more derived than the upright one.

Love that second picture. How is it so croc and so not at the same time?

beanheadmcginty

Cerys

touchingcloth

Cerys

MojoJojo

Ducks are called ducks because they duck their head under the water. The verb came first.

NoSleep