Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,477
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 02, 2020, 09:40:28 AM
Ducks are called ducks because they duck their head under the water. The verb came first.

I just looked that up in the OED and it's true! Apologies! But also apparently there are conflicting phrases "nice weather for ducks" which means "rainy" and "like a duck in thunder"/"like a dying duck in a thunderstorm" which mean "looking forlorn and miserable". So do ducks like rain or are they specifically scared of thunder and lightning?

Neville Chamberlain

Just to confirm the "verb came first" theory, the German verb "to duck" is "sich ducken".

NoSleep

https://www.etymonline.com/word/crane

So the bird crane probably gets its name from from its cry. Whilst machine cranes get their name from the verb.

poodlefaker

Is "Cranes in the Sky" by Solange about the birds or the machines?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 05, 2020, 07:15:54 PM
Is "Cranes in the Sky" by Solange about the birds or the machines?
It's about Miami's real estate boom, which was spurred by Frasier's skilful investing, although Sideshow Bob later destroyed most of it. Was Sandcastle Disco a real place, and what kind of state was the dancefloor in after a hard night spilling margueritas?

NoSleep

Don't know if this counts, but I just found out that in 2035 the government is going to ban metal cars. Guess they're gonna make cars out of rocks or something.

touchingcloth

Nah, they're banning mental cars. Clown cars and literal pussy wagons.

NoSleep

Quote from: DistressedArea on February 07, 2020, 07:13:03 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I just found out that in 2035 the government is going to ban metal cars. Guess they're gonna make cars out of rocks or something.

Recycled plastic bags and cornflake boxes.

Jerzy Bondov

The naff song from off of Star Trek Enterprise wasn't written for Star Trek Enterprise, it was written for Patch Adams.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 13, 2020, 10:13:37 AM
The naff song from off of Star Trek Enterprise wasn't written for Star Trek Enterprise, it was written for Patch Adams.
I don't wanna piss on your chips, but that's not quite true. It was actually 'Faith Of The Heart' that was used on Patch, which the naff song was based on.

Ambient Sheep

That between 2003 and 2012 the exemption for live musical duos in pubs was removed, so that until things were relaxed in 2012 for whole bands to play (subject to certain conditions) there was no live music allowed in normal pubs at all.

Gulftastic

Despite loving 'Singin In The Rain' as long as I can remember , and 'West Side Story' almost as long, I had no idea until today that Rita Moreno, one of the main players in the latter, played Zelda Flanders in the former!

My hat has taken a Ben Dover sized f**k.

pupshaw

The News of the World was closed in 2011
That can't possibly be true.
But it is.

Dex Sawash

Nachos were invented by Ignacio "El Nacho" Anaya. I knew Nacho was commonly used for Ignacio but figured it happened the other way around.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: pupshaw on February 23, 2020, 10:52:54 PM
The News of the World was closed in 2011
That can't possibly be true.
But it is.

Call it what it was - after a short break it was rebranded the Sun on Sunday. I bet they still have Captain Cash, Mystic Meg and the Pontoon table..

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on February 24, 2020, 12:04:33 AM
I've just worked out that "Maltesers" is an anagram of "smelt arse".  It might be my best discovery ever.

touchingcloth

Ironic seeing as "fuck my hat" is an anagram of Terry's Chocolate Orange.

pupshaw

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 24, 2020, 09:59:01 PM
Call it what it was - after a short break it was rebranded the Sun on Sunday. I bet they still have Captain Cash, Mystic Meg and the Pontoon table..

What I meant was, It's hard to believe it was 9 years ago.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 24, 2020, 09:59:01 PM

Now rebranded Captain Gash & Mystic Meg and the Poontang table.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 25, 2020, 12:02:38 AM
Ironic seeing as "fuck my hat" is an anagram of Terry's Chocolate Orange.

You've got that mixed up with Snickers, I think. It's actually drawn from probably the best and most famous of Gilliam's "home movie" series - Anos Terry: Gore Chocolate. He called it that to get it past the BBFC.

Cerys

QuoteI've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like... tears in rain. Time to get away from her you bitch.