Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

From wiki:

Paul Hogan as Paul
Chevy Chase as Chevy
John Cleese as John
Olivia Newton-John as Olivia

Bently Sheds

Press & hold the space bar on your Android phone* keyboard, slide your finger along the space bar to move the cursor.

Also - double tap the Shift key to GO ALL CAPS.

*May also apply to iPhone

touchingcloth

Quote from: Bently Sheds on March 22, 2020, 10:34:03 AM
Press & hold the space bar on your Android phone* keyboard, slide your finger along the space bar to move the cursor.

Also - double tap the Shift key to GO ALL CAPS.

*May also apply to iPhone

Holding spacebar and sliding moves the cursor on iPhones as well, yes. Does it work on Androids to double tap the spacebar to add a fullstop, a space after and change the next letter to be a capital? A game changer when I found that.

Pseudopath

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 22, 2020, 11:37:47 AM
Holding spacebar and sliding moves the cursor on iPhones as well, yes. Does it work on Androids to double tap the spacebar to add a fullstop, a space after and change the next letter to be a capital? A game changer when I found that.

Yep...the standard Gboard keyboard has "Double-space full stop" and "Auto-capitalisation" of new sentences enabled by default.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 22, 2020, 04:57:03 PM
Yep...the standard Gboard keyboard has "Double-space full stop" and "Auto-capitalisation" of new sentences enabled by default.

Swype did all this and had more tricks and shortcuts way back in 2010 when it came on my Samsung S1, it was miles more efficient than other contemporary keyboards. Worked fine for years with small improvements and more features added until a few years ago when after a certain update it got a bit bloated and the word recognition went to shit and I had to stop using it. By then yer Swiftkeys and the like turned up cloning the same machanics and they mysteriously just discontinued it and dropped it from the Play Store. And now we have gBoard which is pretty much a less featured emulation of it almost 10 years later.

bgmnts

Special effects of the films Dawn of the Dead (2004) and Cabin in the Woods were done by Heather Langenkamp!

That's ace!

Mariska Hargitay of Law and Order SVU is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield

touchingcloth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 24, 2020, 07:24:08 PM
Mariska Hargitay of Law and Order SVU is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield

Daaaamn I'd like to push lobsters up her arse.

Artie Fufkin

Cerys

You'd have to remove the ones that are already up there.  Her arse is currently at maximum lobster capacity.  To insert another would cause an explosion such as would make Sir David Attenborough weep.

Pingers

It's estimated that half of Britain's tree cover was cut down in the Bronze Age, about 4000 years ago. I'd assumed mass deforestation was a much more recent phenomenon. Bronze Age twats.

All Surrogate

Yeah, the British countryside is very far from being natural. Humans made it much more useful. We'd still be hunter-gatherers and dying of our teeth if they hadn't. It's one reason I can't be arsed with people complaining about polytunnels and wind turbines.

NoSleep

Quote from: All Surrogate on March 26, 2020, 06:01:40 PM
dying of our teeth

I thought bad teeth was a modern thing brought about by food processing. There wasn't so much tooth decay before then.

FredNurke

Even without sugar, though, a lot of wear and tear on your teeth will give you severe dental problems, so if you're chewing a lot of hard stuff on a regular basis then you're in trouble.

Pingers

kalowski

Hand Solo

The night after John Lennon was shot, David Bowie was appearing as The Elephant Man on Broadway.. shuffling out he noticed a packed house but with three empty seats on the front row. When he got off stage he asked the management why there were empty seats right at the front, he was told two were booked by his friends John Lennon & Yoko Ono who for obvious reasons could not attend. The third was booked by a one Mark David Chapman, he got chills.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Hand Solo on March 27, 2020, 05:30:18 PM
The night after John Lennon was shot, David Bowie was appearing as The Elephant Man on Broadway.. shuffling out he noticed a packed house but with three empty seats on the front row. When he got off stage he asked the management why there were empty seats right at the front, he was told two were booked by his friends John Lennon & Yoko Ono who for obvious reasons could not attend. The third was booked by a one Mark David Chapman, he got chills.

I've heard that before and I'm still not convinced, not being able to find Bowie saying it himself anywhere for a start.

kalowski

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on March 27, 2020, 08:05:44 PM
I've heard that before and I'm still not convinced, not being able to find Bowie saying it himself anywhere for a start.
I file it under "too good to be true".
Chapman on the front row too. Unlikely.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Hand Solo on March 27, 2020, 11:57:12 PM
https://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/john-lennon-assassin-had-hitlist-david-bowie-2/

Yeah, that's the source that Wikipedia uses, but is there anything first-hand? It's not in the interview - "... none more stunning than the one the late David Bowie gave me in 1999 when the recording was turned off". That blog was in 2016 and the interview was in 1999. Is the interviewer making it up after the event or, if he isn't, was Bowie bullshitting/self-mythologising? Did Bowie mention it at any other time?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on March 26, 2020, 06:18:31 PM
I thought bad teeth was a modern thing brought about by food processing. There wasn't so much tooth decay before then.

Lots of smoking though, which stained the gnashers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 15, 2020, 01:55:03 AM
wondered if it was something like that. I haven't seen withnail yet but it's seen so hyped up to me over time I can only imagine disappointment awaits, the clips I have seen look a bit tedious too, shame really.

It would be a shame if you were prevented through reaction to hype or stubbornness or contrarianism or apathy towards the prospect to have never fully enjoyed Withnail and I.

Paul Calf

Yep, totally. Withnail And I is one of those things, like Paris or vintage port, that you think can't possibly live up to the hype but turn out to do so.

touchingcloth

If you can imagine the Eiffel Tower or a little quaint back street with a balcony above a grocer's shop or a little pixie-like waif stocking her hand in some dried beans then you can imagine Paris. 6 out of 10.

Ferris

Or an angry man trying to mug you sell you something you don't want but he's trying to put it into your pocket so he can demand cash, while prostitutes listlessly observe outside Gare du Nord.

My main memories of Paris, there.

touchingcloth

Dewt

Knowing you can't go to most restaurants with anybody fat because the natives will openly laugh at them as if they're a circus exhibit

Paris is just a place to go to get harassed if you don't look like an unimaginative picture of a Parisian that somebody drew in 1975

You can make lots of friends there but none of them will be people from Paris

Ferris

Still, at least it has affordable rent and a low cost of living.

seepage

Well, I had a lovely time. Apart from, ironically, poor restaurant decisions.