Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 05, 2020, 01:50:41 PM
Especially when you find out that apparently a friend/fan sent him that piece of music and the Rickie Lee Jones interview on a tape and said "you should make a track out of this".
As described by Thrash on his website in his rewriting of The Guardian's 'How We Made Little Fluffy Clouds' article.

Quote from: phantom_power on April 05, 2020, 08:24:50 PM
There is a whole website dedicated to how the first Orb album is made up of stuff other people did and then Paterson nicked for himself. It is Kris "Thrash" Weston's blog but I can't find it at the moment, but here is something similar https://krisweston.com/legal-bollocks-if-you-really-want-to-know/
The track by track teardown of who did what (clue: it was never Paterson or Glover) on Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld is on this page from The Ransom Note's site.

phantom_power

It is amazing he has had a 30 year career in music considering what a talentless fraud he is

NoSleep

buzby

Quote from: buzby on April 06, 2020, 02:43:20 PM
The track by track teardown of who did what (clue: it was never Paterson or Glover) on Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld is on this page from The Ransom Note's site.
Sorry, for some reason The Ransom Note doesn't like being linked to. Search for "ransom note kris weston ultraworld'" and it should be the first result

Dewt

edit: ahh it's the forum's THE versus THE filter screwing things up

http://tiny.cc/cl2kmz

This'll work. Sorry WWW of the future.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2020, 06:21:34 PM
He and I roadied for KLF at Heaven in Charing Cross.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that The Orb is a post-KLF project by the same band. Turns out it's more complicated than that. Posting this mainly cos reading my your post I had an image of someone roadying for themselves, which in fairness wouldn't surprise me with what I know of the KLF.

NoSleep

I wasn't there to lump gear (I think I might have helped but they were carrying stuff too and set up on the stage). All they wanted me there for was to be an independent set of ears offstage as they performed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kris Weston's writings about The Orb are a classic case of there being more than one side to a story.

Obviously several things in his bizarre sub-Sadowitz rants stand out as valid and concerning, and he is undoubtedly a funny, charismatic bloke, but he's shat the bed by becoming so bitter about it that you would have to be extremely foolish to take his word on things as gospel and in the main even near to being true. His comments about Andy Hughes are really unhinged bollocks. A classic case of a guy who when he takes against someone has to turn them into a mortal enemy almost to justify it to themselves.

You can see in a lot of the tales that he is trying to turn it into an entertaining story so skirts conveniently over the long periods where they got on and had a laugh and did lots of successful stuff. It's frustrating as I have genuine sympathy it seems to have fucked him up so much, but he just can't cope with the fact he reacted in a few crucial moments really badly. Not everything is always someone else's fault. Would anyone want to hang around with a guy with so many fucking chips on their shoulder?

It's telling that the majority of the Orb's early collaborators are still on good terms with Paterson and probably the guy with most integrity of the fucking lot (save perhaps Tom Green, but he was a very minor collaborator) is one of The Orb's most long-standing contributors, Fehlmann, who Thrash can't even find a bad word to say about so just makes cheapshots about him looking like a concentration camp victim. Classy guy.

Dewt

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2020, 09:44:59 PM
I wasn't there to lump gear (I think I might have helped but they were carrying stuff too and set up on the stage). All they wanted me there for was to be an independent set of ears offstage as they performed.
Well laaaa deee daaa. Look at me, the KLF listener. "What's your job mate?" "I make KLF better by just being around".

(I'm just kidding, it honestly sounds immensely cool)

NoSleep

It was Alex I'm talking about btw. My enduring memory of the night was discovering that moving around a crowded club is made much easier if you're equipped with a torch. You just shine it at the floor in front of you and the crowd parts.

buzby

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 06, 2020, 09:52:41 PM
It's telling that the majority of the Orb's early collaborators are still on good terms with Paterson and probably the guy with most integrity of the fucking lot (save perhaps Tom Green, but he was a very minor collaborator) is one of The Orb's most long-standing contributors, Fehlmann
Fehlmann left in 2018 because Patterson brought his old mate Glover back into the group, and they couldn't stand each other. Andy Hughes also left under acrimonious circumstances during the recording of Cydonia.

Dewt

Quote from: buzby on April 07, 2020, 03:27:37 PM
Fehlmann left in 2018 because Patterson brought his old mate Glover back into the group, and they couldn't stand each other. Andy Hughes also left under acrimonious circumstances during the recording of Cydonia.
I love that such an influential band never stopped having the social dynamics of a flatshare.

Quote from: Special K on April 09, 2020, 07:50:35 PM

TP is toilet paper...

28 years old etc

Have you seen the episode? I think it's because B&B have eaten some bad burritos and have diarrhoea.

Quote from: Dewt on April 09, 2020, 08:45:47 PM
I love that such an influential band never stopped having the social dynamics of a flatshare.

There's a great documentary to be made if someone could get to the bottom if it.

Bazooka

Quote from: Special K on April 09, 2020, 07:50:35 PM

TP is toilet paper...

28 years old etc

Strike me up too, when things get tp'd in the Americas I just accepted it,despite it being no correlation to a teepee, I just said fair enough that tree has been tp'd with toilet paper. The naughty teenagers weren't clear, now Im a fucking joke.

George White

Instead of Captain Birdseye, the US had the actual creator Clarence Birdseye, played by Stacy Keach Sr, dad of the famous one.

pigamus

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: pigamus on April 21, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
Kingsley Amis thought Terminator 2 was a masterpiece.

He was an SF buff, having written New Maps of Hell and edited The Golden Age of Science Fiction.

He also loved Beverly Hills Cop!

poodlefaker

He was also very keen on Carlsberg Special Brew, which he drank from a tankard. Before his dad came round Martin would always put the cans and the tankard in the freezer for half an hour, as per his old man's instructions.

pigamus

Quote' — Get your hair cut, said Kingsley doggedly. Get your hair cut.
There was no one else in the room, but he wasn't telling me to get my hair cut. Over the years Kingsley must have told me to get my hair cut ten or twelve thousand times. But he wasn't telling me to get my hair cut. The year, now, was 1984. I was newly married to an American academic called Antonia Phillips, and there was a child on the way. I didn't need to get my hair cut.
— Get your hair cut ... Get your hair cut.
This suggestion was being offered to the television set, more particularly to the actress Linda Hamilton every time she appeared on screen. We were watching a tape of The Terminator (again). An old science-fiction hand, Kingsley was a great fan of The Terminator, and seven years later he would make no secret of his admiration for Terminator 2 ('a flawless masterpiece'), which I took him to at the Odeon, Marble Arch.
In Terminator 2 (1991) Linda Hamilton wore her hair up or back. In The Terminator, on the other hand, she was decidedly "full-maned, as people were then, in 1984.
— I hope you're going to stick with this, Dad, I said. I hope you won't weaken if anyone accuses you of being boring or repetitive.
— Because there are some who might point out that this film has already been made. Even if Linda Hamilton could hear you, and even if she thought it was a good idea, she couldn't go back and get her hair cut.
— But don't listen to them, Dad. You've set your stall out. Now it's up to you to see this thing through.
After a while, when the action started and it became clear that Linda Hamilton wouldn't have time or leisure to get her hair cut, Kingsley stopped telling her to get her hair cut.'

Brilliant.

Sebastian Cobb

It never occurred to me how long the gap between The Terminator and Terminator 2 was. That's quite a wait really.

NoSleep

Terminator was a slow burner, building up momentum for years, thanks to video hire. So it probably wasn't such a wait for many people.

olliebean

Quote— Because there are some who might point out that this film has already been made. Even if Linda Hamilton could hear you, and even if she thought it was a good idea, she couldn't go back and get her hair cut.

It's like he didn't even understand the premise of the film.

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on April 22, 2020, 06:33:24 AM
Terminator was a slow burner, building up momentum for years, thanks to video hire. So it probably wasn't such a wait for many people.

Almost forgot that Cameron had a practice blockbuster run on the Alien franchise before trying out the same on his own.

Cerys

NoSleep

Cerys

Sorry, I thought you meant that Aliens was a practice run for the original Terminator.

buzby

Quote from: NoSleep on April 22, 2020, 06:33:24 AM
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2020, 11:40:16 PM
It never occurred to me how long the gap between The Terminator and Terminator 2 was. That's quite a wait really.
It was #1 in the US Box Office charts for 2 weeks when it was released, ending up with a worldwide gross of $78.3 million against it's $6.4 million budget, and the 11th highest grossing film worldwide that year. It was the film responsible for making Arnold Schwarzenegger a star, with Commando, Raw Deal, Predator, The Running Man, Red Heat, Twins and Total Recall all coming in it's wake (he signed a multi-picture deal with Carolco off the back of The Terminator's success, which subsequently turned him into a massive box office draw)

There were discussions to make a sequel soon afterwards and Cameron had come up with the core story (which included the reprogrammed T800 sent back to protect John Connor from a new shapeshifting Terminator), but the reason for the 7-year gap between the original film and sequel was primarily due to the rights for the original film having been 50/50 split between Pacific Western (owned by Gale Ann Hurd, who had bought Cameron's stake in the film for $1) and Helmdale Film Corporation, so neither could produce a sequel without the other's involvement or buying out the other's stake.

There was much legal wrangling over the IP between both parties in the following years which stymied any attempt at getting the sequel off the ground, and it wasn't until Helmdale hit financial problems in the late 80s that Schwarzenegger suggested to Carolco's head Mario Kassar that they should bid to buy Helmdale's remaining 50% stake in the franchise so they could get on with making the sequel.

In the meantime, Cameron had made Aliens, but most importantly he had made The Abyss in 1988-89, where to create the alien 'water tentacle' he had enlisted ILM's CGI department who wrote new water simulation, morphing and reflective surface rendering tools to realise it. The film went on to win the 1990 Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

Carolco finally secured the other half of the franchise rights 1990 by paying the ailing Helmdale $10million (other shady practices meant that was far from the end of their financial and legal problems though), and as Cameron, Hamilton and Schwarzenegger were all free Hurd and Kassar got the budget together and Cameron started work straight away on producing a script with his friend and regular co-writer William Wisher based on the core story he had come up with in 1985. His experience with ILM's CGI on The Abyss also now made his original idea of a shapeshifting Terminator a more realistic proposition (with ILM winning another Oscar for their work on the film in 1992).

Gulftastic

I still think 'Robot babysitter from the future' would have made a dynamite Hulk Hogan vehicle.